BCP Fest 2020?

Should we do another BCP Fest this year?

• Yes, this spring

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Yes, in the fall

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes, anytime!

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Nah, you guys are lame

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I could potentially make it that weekend. For a camp spot, I'll throw down Notom Road as a locale to be considered. I think there's a few spots out that way that could accommodate a larger group with lots of options for hiking and sight seeing along the Capitol Reef corridor.

I could potentially make it that weekend. For a camp spot, I'll throw down Notom Road as a locale to be considered. I think there's a few spots out that way that could accommodate a larger group with lots of options for hiking and sight seeing along the Capitol Reef corridor.
The Notom Road came to mind for me as well. I know of a few places that could accommodate a decent number of people. It's slightly more busy of an area than the middle of the Swell, but in my few times out on that side, I haven't seen very many people.

The Notom Road came to mind for me as well. I know of a few places that could accommodate a decent number of people. It's slightly more busy of an area than the middle of the Swell, but in my few times out on that side, I haven't seen very many people.

Yeah, I imagine some of the good spots out there can be hit and miss on weekends. I know the areas along that road can certainly get a little busy out there on weekends like Easter, Spring Break, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Fall Break, etc...But I could see it being much less busy out that way on an ordinary weekend. I don't know though. There's definitely two or three good looking spots I can share coordinates for that I'd like to think have a high probability of being available on a Thursday if a few people were able to go stake any of them out.

Where about on the Notom Road were you guys thinking? I've always thought the spots there were kind of few and far between, and not that large. I'm not against that area, but I think we definitely need to be in a place that can not only accommodate 30 or so people well, but also have some fallback options if we don't get the spot we want.

Where about on the Notom Road were you guys thinking? I've always thought the spots there were kind of few and far between, and not that large. I'm not against that area, but I think we definitely need to be in a place that can not only accommodate 30 or so people well, but also have some fallback options if we don't get the spot we want.
This is one I've seen before that seems to be a pretty big area. 30 people may be pushing its limits though. Probably wouldn't be able to spread out like we did in the Swell. 38.1442419, -111.0788373

Another, more spread out, but probably more popular. 38.2590545, -111.1181886

And another with a big turnout and a few smaller ones. 38.2086702, -111.1017128

Overall I think the Swell may work better for a group of our size. If the Notom road doesn't look as good, we can save it for a smaller outing in fall :D

Definitely interested in the Horseshoe Canyon area!

I'm thinking Notom is just too busy with not enough spots for fall back and spreading out.

The Mackay Flat road in The Swell has a ton of good spots on the west side of Baptist Draw. It's not very RV friendly so if there were other people camped around there, they'd be good neighbors. Tons of cool stuff to do over there too, both hiking and technical canyoneering. Maybe even a Muddy creek float if it peaked early (probably wouldn't). That would also put some vault toilets and the Goblin Valley area within a reasonable distance for people who really wanted to go use them.

38.702248, -110.808732

Mackay Flat seems like a great choice, tons to do within a shortish drive

I'm pretty sure there's also cell service out there, which is nice for this kind of event if people have trouble finding it or need to get a message out. And that road is just rough enough to keep most RV's out but not really bad for a carefully driven car (from what I remember). Anyone vehemently against it, speak out.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on what you guys end up doing. We can't make the weekend but my wife and I plan to end up doing one of three things a couple of days after backcountry fest 2020. We were thinking Needles District, Escalante, or the San Rafael Swell area. We have never been to the San Rafael Swell area so I'm sure I will be able to get some good ideas from this thread.

If any of you plan on staying in the area after the official backcountry fest dates let me know.