Banff - Skoki

Ben

A couple years ago i was in Canada and did some backpacking there. This is a short two night trip i did in the Skoki Valley area. I started from a trail head near the ski area there, went by Ptarmigan and Baker Lakes, went around Fossil Mountain, checked out Lake Merlin, and came back through Deception Pass.

The route starts out on a fire access road, but you still glimpse some good views.
DSCF4518.JPG

This is looking back the direction that i had come. I believe the prominent peak on the right is Mount Temple. I started this hike too late, again, so some late evening shots follow.
DSCF4532.JPG

Coming upon Ptarmigan Lake. Deception Pass is on the left edge of the photo there, where i would come back the next day after circling Fossil Mountain.
DSCF4546.JPG

Mount Redoubt, after making my way along Ptarmigan Lake.DSCF4548.JPG

Finally coming to Baker Lake, i think around 11pm. I miss the Northern summers.
DSCF4551.JPG

Looking back up Baker Lake the next morning.
DSCF4557.JPG

The Skoki Valley Lodge. People ski into it in the winter. In the summer they backpack of course.
DSCF4612.JPG

The trail out to Merlin Lake.
DSCF4629.JPG

Castilleja Lake below the trail.
DSCF4631.JPG

Lake Merlin. The light was really terrible on account of some clouds and fires in the area. Some pictures are over processed, just to make them look some thing like what i actually saw rather than just washed out.
DSCF4654.JPG

The Wall of Jericho to the South of Lake Merlin.
DSCF4655.JPG

Looking back out from near the rim of Lake Merlin, over Castilleja Lake, and the Red Deer River valley beyond.
DSCF4666.JPG

The rim that holds Lake Merlin in. You might notice the sizable creek coming out of the ground below the cliffs at the bottom of the photo. This is the outlet of the Lake, and perhaps the reason for it's magical name.
DSCF4670.JPG

The trail back.
DSCF4674.JPG

Looking back at Skoki Mountain, on my way up to Deception Pass.
DSCF4694.JPG

Zigadenus and Myosotis Lakes below Ptarmigan Peak. This area was gorgeous, but did not photograph so well for me.
DSCF4701.JPG

An other view. The lakes are apparently named for a couple species of flowers.
DSCF4719.JPG

The ridge on the right would be the other side of the Wall of Jericho.DSCF4726.JPG

Looking South from Deception Pass, toward Ptarmigan Lake and Mount Redoubt on the right.DSCF4763.JPG

A little lower, closer, and with better sun.DSCF4783.JPG

Mount Redoubt.
DSCF4791.JPG

Looking West from Boulder Pass near the end of Ptarmigan Lake, Mount Temple in view again.DSCF4850.JPG

Mount Redoubt from the other side.DSCF4852.JPG

The camp area for the night.
DSCF4854.JPG

A couple people had brought their fences with them.
DSCF4855.JPG

DSCF4856.JPG

I walked out to take an other look at Temple before the light was gone.
DSCF4859.JPG

Redoubt again.DSCF4861.JPG

View out to Temple.DSCF4863.JPG

DSCF4865.JPG

A near by shelter.DSCF4882.JPG

I wish people didn't need to scratch their names all over the place.
DSCF4883.JPG

DSCF4884.JPG

Before leaving the next morning.
DSCF4892.JPG

Watch out.DSCF4893.JPG

A couple views nearly back at the trail head.
DSCF4894.JPG

DSCF4895.JPG

DSCF4897.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, those lakes are something else! Canadian Rockies might be one of the coolest places in the entire world. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Ben
Incredible photos. Those views are beyond description. I appreciate trip reports like these when we're in the middle of winter (even though it's gotten above 50 multiple days in a row now...).

Are bears a big enough problem there to necessitate electric fences? Or were those people just being extra cautious?

Incredible photos. Those views are beyond description. I appreciate trip reports like these when we're in the middle of winter (even though it's gotten above 50 multiple days in a row now...).

Are bears a big enough problem there to necessitate electric fences? Or were those people just being extra cautious?

it's almost sixty up here in Boise. the fences didn't appear to be electric. i had to assume that they were to keep smaller critters out, may be to keep them from chewing on things. i didn't ask.

it's almost sixty up here in Boise. the fences didn't appear to be electric. i had to assume that they were to keep smaller critters out, may be to keep them from chewing on things. i didn't ask.
Ah. That's very interesting. Probably worthwhile if it keeps them from chewing holes in your tent and pack. If it's not already very obvious, I've never actually seen one of those portable electric fences.

I thought Mount Redoubt looked cool from the highway, looks even better close up. I'd love to get back to the area again. Thanks for the report

Looks like a really beautiful place! Thanks for sharing. Going to have to get a passport now.

Those fences are weird too because the holes are way to big to stop mice or smaller rodents but maybe stops marmots if they are a big problem there.

Great shots @Ben ! You have a way of waking up my inner backpacker during my down season. I'm not sure I like fences.

Nice! Thanks for posting that! Those photos might help convince my wife where our next Rockies trip should be to....

I keep coming back to look at these photos because it all looks so beautiful!
I want to go back to places like this NOW, but I have yet to figure out how to stay warm in under 30 degrees LOL. But I am working on it. :)

I keep coming back to look at these photos because it all looks so beautiful!
I want to go back to places like this NOW, but I have yet to figure out how to stay warm in under 30 degrees LOL. But I am working on it. :)

On colder trips I take two sleeping bags and put one inside of the other.

On colder trips I take two sleeping bags and put one inside of the other.

Good tip! Might have to try that next time. I went camping on Friday and was so sure my new bag, liner, socks, and gloves would solve the problem since I didn't use those things last time, alas, still cold. Lol
Thanks!!

Good stuff Ben!

I'm slowly developing an obsession, a long distance love affair if you will,
with the Candian Rockies.

Definitely on my "hopefully someday" trip list.

If only there weren't so many Canadians there . . . ;)

Google mapping how long it takes to get to Banff from Montana....

Amazing stuff Ben. I was going to ask about the fences as well. Must be important to have there if people are actually willing to carry all that. How far a drive is Banff for you? Or was this while on one of your epic road trips?

Amazing stuff Ben. I was going to ask about the fences as well. Must be important to have there if people are actually willing to carry all that. How far a drive is Banff for you? Or was this while on one of your epic road trips?

This was on my way back from Alaska. It's take me more than a day to drive to Banff.