Backpacking with trekking poles

Trekking poles are definitely an asset for me. I can climb faster or, if moderating my pace, arrive less tired. Descending tricky ground is easier and safer. On smoother flats however they are of little advantage, and I usually just carry them in one hand or even put them away.

In my early years I used to think they were only for geezers or Euros until I worked as a mountain guide and noticed all my 25 year old co-workers wielding poles. Without looking uncool.

Having only one might aid in balance, while a set of poles are like turbo charging the legs and running a constant caffeine high! Can't dismiss the upper body workout either, a rarity in backpacking.

Indirect mention from here.

A landmark study published by Dr. G. Neureuther in 1981 proved that use of "ski poles" while walking reduces the pressure strain on the opposite leg by approximately 20%. Furthermore, while walking on level ground, poles reduce the body weight carried by the legs by approximately 5 kg every step. Move to an incline, and that reduction increases to 8 kg. This translates into tons of weight -- yes, tons -- for even a two hour hike.

One more:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/walking-poles/expert-answers/FAQ-20057943

And more info here (not specifically relating to knees).
http://infinitespider.com/use-walking-poles-hike/

Look at you doing your homework

Thanks...... I check your links out. Always like to have info on things

i'm sure there are much better studies than those I found. And I'm equally confident that we can find just as many studies that say the opposite. :)

lol...... probably get them for both sides like everything else. Basically each his own, like a lot of BPing items...
There is some decent info but couldn't find the Docs study mentioned. Almost looks like it boils down to: want more cadio or bad knees, ankles.... poles will help you.

Just picked up a set for an upcoming backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon, figured it might help me from falling off a cliff if my pack makes me unstable.

working out a few times per week doing squats and lunges will strengthen all the ligaments and muscles around your legs, and some people might find this more beneficial than trekking poles. It works.

I got 2 poles at age 16 when I started backpacking a lot, and used them up until a few years ago. I swore by them. I started lifting weights and discovered I didn't need poles anymore, they just got in the way. But that's me. Several people I hike with like them, and love them.

Now I only carry one when I anticipate deep river crossings, or off trail scrambling. But I usually just keep it on the side of my pack, and rarely use it.

I'm /w @Kullaberg63 opinion. :)
Since 2007 we always use trecking poles on hikes and backpacking trips.
The first ones by Comperdell and now Black Diamond.
We love the poles.
They save the joints - an other important aspect.

This reminds me, @DAA still has mine I hope : )

I'm a convert; it all began along the Narrows of Zion after starting with nothing and ending with the gospel of two sturdy wood sticks which I had found along the way. Still didn't buy anything right away but with one bad knee it was just a matter of time. I finally picked up some REI carbon fiber twist types for my first GC rim to rim back in 08'. A pretty penny but weight is no issue at all. They do save my knees a ton so generally always take them backpacking, don't need or use them for most hiking but once in a while really come in handy like keeping balanced while ascending out of 150 Mile in the dark.

I dragged my poles along for the first time on my backpacking trip this past weekend. I didn't use them most of the time, but they did come in handy a few times. I doubt I'm going to use them most of the time, still, but will probably bring them with me on the more strenuous trips.

never use them, and never felt the need. i can see how they'd be invaluable for crossing creeks, or useful changing elevation for some people. my parents love them, but they both have bad knees. i don't wanna say 'old people thing', but for me it seems like more trouble than they're worth. i think reducing pack weight is more helpful than poles.

They have their uses, but are basically a quick fix for knee and joint pain/stress. I can't say this enough: A light workout of lunges and squats ( doesn't have to even be weight lifting) will do so much more than poles. It will change your hiking experience, I promise. I can't help but smile when I right this, because I know people disagree with me, without ever trying.

Its kind of like wearing a shirt that makes you look fit, instead of just getting in shape to start with.

I use poles for fording streams, or balancing on logs. I rarely use them other than that. I also use them on steep terrain, where sliding is involved. Even then, sometimes they just get in the way.

never use them, and never felt the need. i can see how they'd be invaluable for crossing creeks, or useful changing elevation for some people. my parents love them, but they both have bad knees. i don't wanna say 'old people thing', but for me it seems like more trouble than they're worth. i think reducing pack weight is more helpful than poles.

Reducing pack weight is a great start. You're right it's not an 'old people thing' because everyone ages. I didn't use them ever but then on the second to last day of the JMT my left knee started to hurt a little. The max pack weight on that trip was 36 lbs, and on the second to last day was closer to 28 lbs. The pain was not severe but enough that I was aware of my knee. I was 27 yo. Since then if I have a trek with serious descent I take them. My recovery is faster now.

They have their uses, but are basically a quick fix for knee and joint pain/stress. I can't say this enough: A light workout of lunges and squats ( doesn't have to even be weight lifting) will do so much more than poles. It will change your hiking experience, I promise. I can't help but smile when I right this, because I know people disagree with me, without ever trying.

Its kind of like wearing a shirt that makes you look fit, instead of just getting in shape to start with.

I use poles for fording streams, or balancing on logs. I rarely use them other than that. I also use them on steep terrain, where sliding is involved. Even then, sometimes they just get in the way.

I agree that the conditioning is more than important. I run regularly (with good form ;)), and do strength training (squats and lunges). Even with that poles in steep terrain, if used right, take pressure off ankles, knees, and hips. I feel better, and like I can go farther with them. I mean come on, I'm in good shape and I'm only 33.

They do have their place, and maybe not for everyone, but as for me I'll use 'em and promote 'em. I love a good debate.

Salud!

I agree that the conditioning is more than important. I run regularly (with good form ;)), and do strength training (squats and lunges). Even with that poles in steep terrain, if used right, take pressure off ankles, knees, and hips. I feel better, and like I can go farther with them. I mean come on, I'm in good shape and I'm only 33.

They do have their place, and maybe not for everyone, but as for me I'll use 'em and promote 'em. I love a good debate.

Salud!

I respect your opinion, and don't really know how to argue with it. You know yourself, and if it works well for you that's great!

I just turned 34 years old, and similar to you first started noticing the knees in my late 20's. I was already using trekking poles, and liked them. But a few years ago I started lifting, and focused on my legs. I immediately noticed a difference in my hiking strength. I felt like I had a shock system on my body. And I just ditched my trekking poles completely. They really just got in the way. I have no desire to use them at all. I've never looked back. My pack weight varies, but is almost always over 40 pounds. I never have a problem with steep descents anymore, and I hike faster without the poles.

I can't win this argument. I never do. But I post stuff like this so maybe a few people will see it, and will actually try to strengthen their leg muscles. I think we both agree it does great things for hiking and backpacking.

Over the last few years, I've been spending more and more time backpacking each year. Something I've experienced is that the majority of gear advice I hear or read about doesn't hold true over time. Its usually the opposite. I keep trying to figure out why. This is one of those topics right now.

All I know is I don't need trekking poles anymore, and its because of strengthening my leg muscles.

TannerT
i'm glad you talked more about age. my girl and my younger brother have both had instances where their knees bothered them on trips. being me, it never even crossed my mind that poles might help with that. i'll have to have Brittinei give them a chance.

also i agree that whether they're useful or not is more of a personal thing than universal. i know some people that they make a huge difference for, even when just hiking with no pack at all.

I like your opinion @Joey. Conditioning is instrumental for so many facets of the backcountry experience. Poles can get in the way, especially when you aren't used to them. More power to you and, with your training, I hope your knees last forever. For me, I guess, I'm just hedging my bets to be able to continue for many, many, many years to come.

@ben cowan, definitely hook your girl and brother up. It's helped me and my wife. A close friend of mine started using his when he was in his early twenties. He is strong, and fit. He just did the Tough Mudder exceptionally well. He uses poles. To a certain degree, with everything, the person has to find a connection with it before they can make an informed decision. I hope poles help.

I used to think poles looked stupid and unnecessary - until I got a pair. I got mine for a trip in the Grand Canyon because of a strong recommendation from a trusted source. I've started to experience knee problems in recent years especially when going downhill. The steeper and rougher the descent the more trouble I have. My source told me that the poles would really help reduce my knee problems on descents. I figured the Grand Canyon was going to be the perfect laboratory to test that theory. I was also told to never use the poles with just carbide tips on rocks cause they'd slip and I might be hurt worse by an unexpected slip than by not having the poles at all. The instructions I got were to wrap the ends with duct tape till a standard rubber cane tip would fit on snugly. I've used the poles for a couple hundred miles now and this is what I know;

1. They shine going uphill, but especially going downhill. On nearly level terrain they're not much use. But even on level terrain I'll usually keep one out cause they seem to help maintain circulation in my arms. I really think they've kept me from falling a few times on descents on scree or awkward long steps down when there wasn't a good hand hold available. I think they have helped my knees.
  2. In moderate undergrowth 2 poles are one too many. Even one may be too many. Negotiating moderate undergrowth is just annoying and the poles, especially two, only increase my annoyance. But in heavy undergrowth I like to have one out to push things out of the way (especially if they're thorny!) and to help protect my face.
  3. The cane tips have worked well. They're reliable on any rock surface, and are not a detriment in loose soils. I have yet to replace them. They're getting pretty worn, but they've lasted longer than the boots I had when I got the poles. Cane tips are inexpensive and available at any Walgreens.
  4. I know that some people cut the wrist straps off in order to reduce weight. I think that's a mistake. They really help when I'm using the poles to help pull myself up. But even more importantly, there times when you really have to have your hands free to grab handholds etc. So I just let go of the poles, but they're still with me cause of the wrist straps.
  5. Hiking poles are one of things that you hike with that can have multiple uses. For instance, my tent uses them for tent poles. I like how they're more adjustable than standard tent poles. If you're hiking with a tarp in the desert they're practically indispensable cause you usually need some kind of pole to hold up your tarp and may not necessarily be able to easily find something that will work.