Backpacking suggestions? 1 night

Stephanie

Hey everyone!

Me and a friend are looking for a short, overnight backpacking trip to get away from the city this weekend. We live in Salt Lake City and are willing to drive up to 4 hours away to go somewhere. Any suggestions?
Also, my friend was thinking Pleasant Creek?? but we cant find anything online about whether or not you can camp there. Does anyone know?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

Hey everyone!

Me and a friend are looking for a short, overnight backpacking trip to get away from the city this weekend. We live in Salt Lake City and are willing to drive up to 4 hours away to go somewhere. Any suggestions?
Also, my friend was thinking Pleasant Creek?? but we cant find anything online about whether or not you can camp there. Does anyone know?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

Pleasant Creek in Capitol Reef? Yeah, you can camp along it with a backcountry permit from the Visitor Center, but on a weekend, you'd probably have a decent amount of day hikers going through there with all the visitors the park gets this time of year. It's a pretty short canyon and it'd probably be difficult to secure a nice secluded spot unless you're willing to scramble way up above the canyon. Other options down that way include Upper Muley Twist or Spring Canyon. Either one would require the same kind of permit from the Visitor Center. For Spring Canyon, if you wanted to keep it short and not worry about a shuttle, you could do an out an back via Chimney Canyon and camp not far up in Upper Spring Canyon. Lots of options abound around Escalante as well. Or...if you want to keep it closer to home, you could come down to Utah County and there is a fantastic little loop that connects Grove Creek with Battle Creek above Pleasant Grove that would be pretty free of snow. Heaps of nice camp sites abound around the Grove Creek Indian Spring area and Chris Flat and lot of waterfalls to see along both Grove Creek and Battle Creek. Here's a TR from taking my daughter up on that loop a couple years ago: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/daddy-daughter-grove-creek-battle-creek-loop.4810/

Edit: One more option I just thought of...you could also go up to Ogden and go up Taylor Canyon, over Malans Peak (a low peak at about 6k feet) and then camp up in Malans Basin. That was one of my favorite hikes as a teen living in Roy. You also have Waterfall Canyon right there from the same trailhead with a big waterfall that is worth the short hike as a secondary day hike. Like Grove Creek and Chris Flat, it's lower elevation, and what little snow it would have gotten this week will all be melted out by the sunny weekend.

Last edited:
Pleasant Creek in Capitol Reef? Yeah, you can camp along it with a backcountry permit from the Visitor Center, but on a weekend, you'd probably have a decent amount of day hikers going through there with all the visitors the park gets this time of year. It's a pretty short canyon and it'd probably be difficult to secure a nice secluded spot unless you're willing to scramble way up above the canyon.

I was just in Pleasant Creek last Saturday afternoon on what seemed like a pretty busy weekend in the Park. When we arrived at the trailhead there was no one else there. We had lunch there and then spent a few hours in the canyon. We did see two other groups while we were there, but both of them went to the rock art panel and then turned around. We saw a nice campsite a little further down on on the other side of the canyon from that point that no one else seemed to go past and I don't think would be too busy, even on a weekend.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Suggestions for a 10 day backpacking trip in early June Trip Planning 8
JBPHXAZ Suggestions for 4-5 days Backpacking in the Southwest Trip Planning 2
D Need suggestions for a backpacking trip with a base camp Trip Planning 10
Eugene Suggestions for mid-Nov backpacking trip Trip Planning 2
JBPHXAZ Canyonlands Needles Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 8
fossana CO Plateau backpacking suggestions for spring run-off season Trip Planning 14
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
Eugene Backpacking suggestions for May 2019 Trip Planning 18
r3biker Suggestions for 5-day backpacking in Utah Trip Planning 10
tomcat32 Late May suggestions for 100ish mile backpacking trip Trip Planning 1
BryanG Sawtooth Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 6
cjhaines Southern Utah Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 4
Jimmy BANFF/Jasper/Yoho Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 18
DrNed Southern Utah Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 17
J ISO Partner / Group for Winter Backpacking Trip / Suggestions Trip Planning 0
blueeyes East Idaho backpacking suggestions Trip Planning 11
Upgrayedd Uintas backpacking suggestions wanted Trip Planning 0
R backpacking trip suggestions Trip Planning 1
C Backpacking suggestions Trip Planning 4
Mike Jones Week Long backpacking, Zion or Grand Canyon? Need Suggestions Trip Planning 27
Nick Backpacking Cedar Mesa - Suggestions? Trip Planning 11
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 13
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
norwegianxplorer Backpacking the Lofoten archipelago in arctic Norway Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0