Backpacking Glacier National Park August 2019

Mikjik86

This is Part 1 of 2, of a 6 day, 52 mile backpacking trip in Glacier National Park in August, 2019.

We started at the Iceberg/Ptarmigan Trailhead making a counter-clockwise loop over the course of the trip. There were Eagles, Moose, a couple Grizzly Bears, Deer, among other wildlife. There were mixed conditions the first day, the second day was clear, and It rained/hailed on us on our third night at Stoney Indian Lake. This video is just over an hour, yet we had a blast on our trip and I had a hard time cutting out anymore footage. I hope you check it out!

Fantastic video! I did that Cosley Lake ford back in the 80's. I was caught off guard by how much play the cable had in it. Almost dunked me.

Fantastic video! I did that Cosley Lake ford back in the 80's. I was caught off guard by how much play the cable had in it. Almost dunked me.
It was an amazing hike for sure. I guess the water was lower than usual, making our crossing not difficult. Walking West down that valley towards Stoney Indian will forever be ingrained in my memory.

It was an amazing hike for sure. I guess the water was lower than usual, making our crossing not difficult. Walking West down that valley towards Stoney Indian will forever be ingrained in my memory.
We have joked about that Cosley Ford. "You need to ford the lake!" It is kind of borderline at that point if you are in the stream or lake. I don't backpack but that stretch of trail climbing up to Stoney Indian Pass shows, in videos, as being jaw dropping. I am looking forward to Part 2. I have heard others mention how overgrown the trail is down from Stoney Indian Lake but it doesn't get documented. Maybe you will have a couple seconds of chest high brush. If not, I understand.....ha.

Back