BackcountryPost Facebook Contest

Nick

-
Time for a new BackcountryPost Member Contest! Last time we asked for your trip reports and gear reviews. We had 181 entries in less than two months! So awesome! Not only is it great to read about all of the cool places everyone goes, but it also helps to grow the site by increasing our rank with search engines. So thank you all!

This time around, we're doing a different kind of contest. It's all about referring your friends to BackcountryPost.

There are three ways to enter this contest.

1 Post a photo to our Facebook Page and get likes. Round up as many 'likes' as you can get on your photo. Each like will get you 1 Point in the contest.

2 Get people to like the BackcountryPost fan page and comment on your photo. It doesn't matter which order they do that in, but if they are a new like to the page and also comment on your photo, you earn an extra 5 Points! *only counts to new likes on the BackountryPost page. People who liked the page before 3/18/12 won't count.

3 Get people to sign up at BackcountryPost. You'll get an extra 10 Points in the contest if a new user signs up here at BackcountryPost and sites you as referring them in their intro post in the Noob Introductions thread.

It's definitely a lot more work to get people to do the last two items, hence why there will be a lot more reward.

Just like last time, we will be giving away two identical grand prizes. The person with the most points/entries will win one of the grand prizes. For everyone else, every point you receive will gain you an entry into a drawing to win the second grand prize. So if you posted 2 pictures and got a total of 15 likes between the two, you would have 15 entries into the drawing.

So what do the winners get?

How about a sweet Mountain Hardwear Cima Alta Daypack stuffed with hiking gear? :cool:

Each package will contain:
1 qty Mountain Hardwear Cima Alta Daypack
1 qty Petzl Tikkina Headlamp
1 qty UCO Stormproof Matches
1 qty Adventure Medical Light and Fast Personal First Aid Kit
1 qty Princeton Tec Pulsar II LED Key Chain Light (great emergency item when you forget your head lamp)
1 qty Light My Fire XM Spork
1 qty Light My Fire Cout Firesteel Fire Starter

Each prize package has a total retail value of more than $110

gearpackage940px.png

So what are you waiting for? Head on over to the BackcountryPost Facebook page and post your photo. Remember, you don't necessarily have to have the best photo for this one, a single photo with one 'like' could make you a winner. :)

fb.com/backcountrypost

Contest ends on April 30th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

The Fine print:
BackcountryPost.com reserves the right to change the rules, terms and conditions of this contest in any way, at any time and without notice. All BackcountryPost members are eligible to participate, even if you were one of the winners of a previous contest. There will probably be some more fine print here once we figure out what really needs to be in fine print. In the mean time, I hope this satisfies your need to read the fine print. Thank you, come again.

Well crap. It appears that Facebook no longer requires people to like the page before liking something on the page. So our ulterior motive to get a bunch of new likes on the BackcountryPost Facebook page is not going to work. :cry:

Thinking of ideas to try to get more actual BackcountryPost page likes out of this contest...

For the moment, would everyone hold off on posting photos to the FB page? If you already have and received likes, it will still count towards the contest. We just might switch up the format a bit so that it's an in-site contest instead. If we can't get more likes on the FB page, there isn't much point of doing it on Facebook. I'll report back later this evening.

For the moment, would everyone hold off on posting photos to the FB page? If you already have and received likes, it will still count towards the contest. We just might switch up the format a bit so that it's an in-site contest instead. If we can't get more likes on the FB page, there isn't much point of doing it on Facebook. I'll report back later this evening.

I added a comment to my shared link on my wall for my post asking people to Like the page. let's see if it has any influence.

Okay, the contest goes on as planned here are the new rules. I've also edited the original post.

1 Post a photo to our Facebook Page and get likes. Round up as many 'likes' as you can get on your photo. Each like will get you 1 Point in the contest.

2 Get people to like the BackcountryPost fan page and comment on your photo. It doesn't matter which order they do that in, but if they are a new like to the page and also comment on your photo, you earn an extra 5 Points! *only counts to new likes on the BackountryPost page. People who liked the page before 3/18/12 won't count.

3 Get people to sign up at BackcountryPost. You'll get an extra 10 Points in the contest if a new user signs up here at BackcountryPost and sites you as referring them in their intro post in the Noobs thread.

It's definitely a lot more work to get people to do the last two items, hence why there will be a lot more reward.

Sorry to muddy the water on this one, we just need to make sure the costs don't outweigh the returns on these contests. Game on!

Maybe next time gather a bunch of our trip photos or something that we'd donate and put them into one of those sweepstakes things that make people first "Like" the page before the "Like" the photo - so sorta like a photo contest but to get traffic on the FB page. There's stuff for that, and I don't know if it costs money, but that's how SkiUtah on FB does their lift pass giveaway (http://on.fb.me/A21gEm), and Visit SLC is doing their Ski Shootout (they had the module active until the contest ended today ()).

So, I know there are ways to do it, but totally dumb on details. Anywho - thanks for putting this on, and don't forget to "Like" my photo :: http://on.fb.me/ymcdsO

Scott

Yeah, next time we do a Facebook-related thing I'll definitely look into that. I thought they still required a like to the page before interacting but apparently they changed that back in September! It's all good though, this will still be awesome, especially with the added rewards that will come with just signing up a couple of friends.

FYI, I plan to post a reminder as BCP.com on all photos people post on the page so that their friends know that they can get them extra points by liking the page and commenting. It's kind of a mouthful to get your friends to like, like and comment. Hopefully this will get you more points (and us more likes) without having to say it all. ;)

Remember folks, since I totally screwed up on the original rules for this contest, you have a great chance of winning. Get a friend or two to sign up for a backcountrypost and get 10 entries PER friend. Remember, they have to say you referred them in the Noobs thread!

Drum roll please!

The winner of this contest with the most points overall is barl0w!

And the winner on the random drawing is intuitive cat who also happened to have the second most points in the contest.

We only had a handful of people participate in this one so I didn't bother with doing the whole video announcement this time. Thanks to everyone who participated and helped us to get some new likes and members. It is much appreciated!

and congrats to you too barl0w!
and thanks to everyone & this awesome forum.
I've gotta say - i've been doing hiking orientation nights at the Boulder Mountain Lodge on Mon & Tues nights, and there have been multiple occasions in which i have used info that I've gotten from trip reports here (such as ibenick's Little Death Hollow report). an invaluable resource.

I'm really glad that I joined & started to participate. now i can flaunt the new logo on my new daypack!
a special thanks to Nick for all of the effort he puts into everything here.

thanks again everyone.