They have:

2013: 5/5
2014: 5/5
2015: 5/5
2016: 1/5
2017: 3/5
2018: 2/5

No idea what's up with that.

I am going to have to look how they determine expected reliability. I know the 3rd gen tacomas started production in 2016. My wife and I did a lot of research and picked up a 2018 Tacoma. I avoided 2nd gens due to the body rust issues and also the priced of used tacomas is so high that for us it made sense to pick up a new one with all of the added safety features and now standard tow packages, including transmission cooler.

I am going to have to look how they determine expected reliability. I know the 3rd gen tacomas started production in 2016. My wife and I did a lot of research and picked up a 2018 Tacoma. I avoided 2nd gens due to the body rust issues and also the priced of used tacomas is so high that for us it made sense to pick up a new one with all of the added safety features and now standard tow packages, including transmission cooler.
According to CR, 2018 is "expected reliability" but earlier years are actual reliability, so presumably they have real sources of data.

According to CR, 2018 is "expected reliability" but earlier years are actual reliability, so presumably they have real sources of data.

So far no issues, but if there are they have a pretty good warranty. Of course my last truck was a gmc Sonoma from hell so I might be more forgiving than most.

I just realized I never posted a picture of the new Tacoma. Sold my 99 Wrangler TJ to a 17 year old that seems like he will appreciate it.

My wife and I have been considering vehicles for a while as our all became older with higher mileage. My wife really thought she wanted a crosstrek but then we decided maybe a truck would be better. She test drove a crosstrek and liked it and we decided in a year or so we would pick one up. Then we decided to test drive the Tacoma. My wife test drove it and decided she wanted it immediately. My wife usually takes months to make any kind of decision of this magnitude. She was worried she would end up with buyers remorse or some kind of regrets, but it has been 5 months and she loves it.

We picked up an 4x4 SR5 double cab short bed. We added a softopper and picked up some door dinger protectors from KSL. Looking at upsizing the tires after we put a few more miles on the stock "minivan" tires. The lift will probably be a couple of years down the road. My wife is going back to school for another degree so we also picked up an older casita so we could hopefully still get out camping and she can study and do homework.

Edit: As a bonus apparently we got the last year of inferno since they discontinued this color in the 2019's.

IMG_3351.JPGIMG_3269.jpgIMG_3322.JPG

I take my wife's Fit places it shouldn't go.. The ranger in escalante told me we wouldn't be able to make it to Sooner Rocks but I had to prove him wrong.

4zyz5Se.jpg
Come a little way since abusing my wife's fit down hole in the rock road.

Grabbed this Chevy Avalanche a couple years ago and it has been my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. I think they are super underappreciated/undervalued. Maybe it's because they are so ugly :facepalm:
hV2-6knrqm50c_dBWf4VhlAHG1PybvjGSBt1CLQlqqLvTJxsRLFZkSx8tRkheAdzoZSMOtAYdvqPtg7-0K76J7tuXq-vR3568ypeRi0fmPXDj2HXvHVGaUtUhX95ZzSK2a8ofFiOXzAIglVdYs6KffLPNfgRzxuZ2zT6Hqujf14hLIDkAKryeHiSPfmaUqXSO14H4xOG7o9AL1-Sm63pQQmpcV0Qsu2EpDAs3rDUw_AQkVVKPL5y-GRQ6ttYw4C6yPlKyjX4HUmVoWJoatgEdk8byxi-rIg5un1XThk49Xj0Jg_5gyQdksS6a5izNIdtRRuYoEoqn1g8nPR3-qTXopSibzfaJd9SV632R2vBpDKOmcjAKZVPvKUOHXynAif2PWiYr65u39t6PayexHSmNJPzy_RUDRh-RcJpuppSY-lxFY4W9x-roPxbqskvX3axhKUkUtwPHDL9rOW_cJWAXK-mqVhvtDfcBsrw8yIugyD7HZgoaJhIQxKXnbm3_59cXwgdErsWRglPS-BNEYL0BVb_AwQ0QsU5Q973YfLkLkAStO_BvFXhuiCRPfDH4O9b4kPgppxbfsNx5DmDn0nrZStYZ6eVjMXtrEZBa52GzYOZT7I32RLpxRgAqdvd-Wgx4mcz_zQVHsTtqLg8-BmqECiF=w1408-h938-no

JzGiBsZfFY3oRPFskDiM0DB2BCBjOzbARu5Cdzfz5cbuqqb5AeGYBFdoQT-dq9a-Ii7NcQfLEUtWu0fBT9FX0SJX3wXCPh99hRi2MkaHQO3XLEUYRa1ZGdfcdGVrGmzkooyJOz3Ns43a1ISfk3JQhg647hs89RSdnDqvjtafVu2gR6cqKVzSReA5cQY1bs3pDHk9R0YA3YQCiOuToyclGn3o1JCTbe_UYcOYFm9pDCyrsh6alsYBnRLUHDg1qwACB35kkuvf5e-wic_akLSOQRytFgSmo35yqojRqpfaBfF_5hkopBwGCiK1FiuaImYFZJ69TqyD2bODTMCAQ610-YaGtgKa43syRq7WUW7ItSaseFY_LrWbqJYfZTadrDFnBruuFbFUAMaw7hD98jz9oyCFKVYKHeIbS6hlua0HrRGzcELDlvXFFBtmIvh7ANR9dEAgc1iPvVVaoopwPgNb-zj7_b8IIJD841Z_SJ37M_IIp2gv2Dz76K0L17qxU_PqFhdoKkbncP9vI-lYI8Hp7Ror8G_UkaFFxpKzI_10avg12IngHw2T3og1O3Hk_kUwAAyskweNTlVkU8IzIjFQ8WiYafeFmqIqLe8ac1ivnexfJ58G2l_NfcJeIDtjXd2TAg3xpOlvwK1uLCCgbCc-6-uM=w1251-h938-no

R7_E1062I5SbYQbgYo-oFNtRFYRK2XpV5sE6h8x4QzlB_PFXl28Eeef_AU9FgbFbAEJoHf43umPeK8Rn0aI_HmcWYNfmLQsfE2znqJF5fxIW50RDz59I_oFXmo9Mmrqw2K-INDO89XqkazceyTdHVRPLZ9NGwslvdCCaVM-wJlgsNBZSGyco7gvEmIUKozdFBh-yGvG2DYSaJoRt3E9k4oZnAVD1rIl9aQscgLOPmG7mqQGGBDppH_RnyFg0_OFG1r-JmsfSnIGuhjdr5Ioi22BgbDw9UjY7FzHJzcMrG-yUWuPUqjhzTzNZgIVf1FLVrTe9R_RDQfTlGfZmVjKqrf23guBD77L69XI1wh9dWJdtsTtwKIsyJiTIxQJLZVBiJpCvfbmjylDCjZ3tfUlVduFYkicup9vQGSirvMOTAbgOsIJr4AD7ubBEDVRJ0sVmP72B_scm4OJ4whgWdrQVZ-o9siZjUBZEQSY02HccMPBSr0ENt2EkVRTBmgNCzD5wWeHmR0rxmPny2ESivh3bMyYQDLGt_hYBc7_NfqhOB92SDehPP7EYIQTd8z8EAqhqWSHyQV5DBFKMljMw1wevBmmZalBgA6-e5PLE3sS9q3nSmbLMyvcY77fSCQp8vOmEbpEct-wvKqu3Sh7ChhBV_Rk-=w1251-h938-no

Could not resist posting a pic of my local off road rig. Its a bit too slow to make it out West on its own but someday I have thoughts of relocating and putting it to good use. . .

FJ40.jpg

The FJ40 has a removable hardtop and full doors to make it more weather proof ;) .

My DD is a '16 Wrangler JK . The interior is a bit smaller that some other SUVs I've been around but with a bike rack on back I can usually fit whatever else I need inside. I like all the aftermarket options available for the Jeeps to make it my own and still look forward to driving it everyday.

Could not resist posting a pic of my local off road rig. Its a bit too slow to make it out West on its own but someday I have thoughts of relocating and putting it to good use. . .

View attachment 71355

The FJ40 has a removable hardtop and full doors to make it more weather proof ;) .

My DD is a '16 Wrangler JK . The interior is a bit smaller that some other SUVs I've been around but with a bike rack on back I can usually fit whatever else I need inside. I like all the aftermarket options available for the Jeeps to make it my own and still look forward to driving it everyday.

Gorgeous!

Gorgeous!
@TractorDoc WOW! Love it, great color too

Many Thanks. Restoration was my winter project a couple years back. Took everything down to a bare frame and rebuilt from the ground up.
A before picture:

IMG_2193.jpg

Going for one of the first test drives (notice the exhaust is strapped a bit low :) )

IMG_4593.JPG

And one more "backcountry" shot.

IMG_6435.JPG

View attachment 71355

X2, what Nick said. Would love to see a few more bare frame and other restoration pics...

X2, what Nick said. Would love to see a few more bare frame and other restoration pics...

Only because you asked Art. . . ;)
Here are a couple more and then I'll post a link to the Toyota Forum where you can follow the entire process. Don't want to deviate too much from Backcountry's main focus.

Building up the frame:

IMG_3364.JPG

After dropping the engine in:

IMG_3806.JPG

First official test drive -- look close for the bucket seat:

IMG_4179.JPG

One more outdoor shot:

IMG_6713.JPG

Link to the full restoration -- be forewarned that unless logged in as a member there is a lot of advertising imagery:

FJ40 Rebuild

Lastly, Blue does do more than just pose to get its picture taken, here is a quick YouTube Video of a drive around the farm. I'm not too good at the video stuff and there is not much excitement, but I think you'll get the idea.

FJ40 Farm Tour Video

Thanks for indulging me. . .

I'm still loving my '04 WJ. Gets me pretty much everywhere I want to go. Although, I think tires have a lot to do with it. The only improvements I could make would be upgrading to a 4-door Wrangler with lockers, which will be the next vehicle I buy when this one gets totaled parked on the street in front of my house.

4-door Wrangler with lockers, which will be the next vehicle I buy when this one gets totaled parked on the street in front of my house.

Would you use the wrangler as your everyday vehicle? I'm not sure that's that attractive, nor is maintaining / insuring a separate Honda Civic or whatever for getting groceries.