Back again, looking for different access points for Death Hollow......

John Kerby

Ok, have a small group of good teenagers wanting to do death hollow with me next summer after school gets out. About 8 people officially now. Question is, I have heard of other routes to get into Death Hollow without coming from the Boulder Mail Trail. My previous three trips we started at the airstrip, went to sand creek, and accross to the hollow. I have heard other people talk about how to access it without that first, sometimes hellish 1/3rd......I am thinking if there was a less strenuous, just as pretty entrance to death hollow without crossing sandcreek and coming from the airstrip, it might be better. Anything else exhist? I want to take this group through death hollow to the highway 12 bridgehead, but any other entrances?

From the top off the gravel road from Escalante to Boulder up at the head of DH. Easy down into the canyon. Some really cool open narrows filled with water to go through. We did it and came out the Escalante river back to the TH near town. Can't remember how many days, probably 5 nites I'd guess. Side hike to the pool up Maime Crk is neat.

I haven't done the top-down but I've heard it is significantly more strenuous than the BMT access. A lot of reports indicate the need for wetsuits and dry bagging gear. Maybe not the best route for that kind of group.

I'm sticking with my age old response. Try someplace else. Variety is good.

We did the trip in June after snowmelt..... No wetsuits, no dry bags. Water in slot was shoulder deep on me (5'8"). The hardest spot I thought was near the Escalante River. A narrow wet ledge around some small waterfalls. Wasn't really hard but it was rainy and cold, didn't want to fall in. I'll dig some pics up, they are in my ancient archives. Wait...it was probably before dry bags were invented....... :D

As always, we on the forum can give info, but it is up to the individual to determine if they have the skill level needed and to check all sources of information available.

I know I can do the airstrip to highway 12, and know my students can. Just curious if there is another route to take them through possibly.

Yep, mail trail is the easiest. You could go in that way and hike up canyon or down canyon for how ever many nights or distance you wanted

Eh, we'll probably just do the airstrip to the highway 12 bridgehead. My kids and group can do it. Last summer on our trip we saw a 72 year old man hiking OUT of death hollow, back to the airstrip, and saw a small family of a father with 5 teens from 12-18. So I know my kids can do it. Having a parent meeting tonight to give them some info, pics of the hike, and an outline. Really hoping to do this.

Some pics. Before the digital age. Trip was June 11, 2001 the second full week in June that year. Wow that was 14 years ago. Don't remember how the snowpack was. They are in order top (Hells Backbone road TH) to around the Escalante River. It's about 30 miles:
86730_05.JPG 86730_09.JPG 86730_13.JPG 86730_14.JPG 86730_22.JPG 86730_26.JPG 86731_07.JPG 86731_13.JPG 86731_18.JPG 86731_20.JPG 86732_07.JPG 86732_09.JPG 86732_11.JPG 86732_14.JPG 86732_20.JPG

Last edited:
Checking this out. Trip is on, very excited. I have done the Airstrip to Highway 12 route twice all the way through, and back in 09 I hiked in to sand creek with three friends, pitched camp, and explored the whole area thoroughly for a few days. Got down in Death Holow, but hiked out. Loved it enough though to go back in 13 and 14 to do the whole hike. These kids will love it. All 17-18.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
F Baja's El Camino Real again Backpacking 11
Jackson Back to Bechler, Again Backpacking 14
balzaccom Dry winter for the Sierra--again! General Discussion 0
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior (again), June 2022 On The Water 4
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
Jeremy C Hello again after a few years Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 4
Yvonne Zion Wilderness Permits and Canyoneering permits opened up again General Discussion 11
westy Delamar Mountains. Again. Hiking & Camping 0
fossana 24 Aug rockfall and E Rim trail closure in Zion (again) General Discussion 3
wsp_scott Dolly Sods and kids again Backpacking 2
Jessica Hello (again!) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
Miya Stuart Fork TH Again Backpacking 6
kwc Alaska (again) Denali NP Hiking & Camping 7
balzaccom Death Valley once again Hiking & Camping 1
kimbur96 Back again, anyone using a teardrop? General Discussion 11
LarryBoy It's that time of year again... General Discussion 1
Nick Dear sandstone, I love you. I'll never leave you again. Hiking & Camping 11
Artemus 2016 Mountain Backpacking - Bad means Good - Again Trip Planning 13
RussRDH I'm back in the saddle again! Hello from Ogden, Utah. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
John Goering Mountain House at Costco again General Discussion 1
ogdendude Upper Salt Creek Canyon, again Backpacking 5
elkaholic It’s that time of year again...Planning for the Scouts High Adventure General Discussion 3
Howells Outdoors Mystery Canyon Again! Canyoneering 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 6 West Side again Backpacking 4
LoriB Salt Creek...AGAIN!!! Trip Planning 1
Rob Anthony Oh lord I'm a noob again! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
John Fowler Upper Muley Twist, again Hiking & Camping 18
gnwatts Down the river again On The Water 6
Antlerking Millville Face burns, yet again. Photography 6
Aldaron Garfield Basin or "Don't ever let me hike here again" Backpacking 10
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
F Looking for tent recommendations Gear 20
ghsmith76 Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT Trip Planning 6
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
chebba87 Invite Looking for partner - Yellowstone late August Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Jamesoutside life Looking for backpacking buddy montana aug/sept Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
IlVagabondo Looking for a ~30 mile loop in the Scapegoat/Bob Trip Planning 2
Mormadmom New and looking for an adventure Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
montanaclimber Looking for bob Marshall recommendation Backpacking 1
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
Contra Looking at buying a used travel trailer opinions wanted. General Discussion 16
U Favorite Yellowstone Gallatin Mtn Area Campsite? Looking at WD5, WE7 and that area Trip Planning 5
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
fossana BLM looking for input on accelerating grazing permits (comment through 6 Mar) General Discussion 2