Avenza IOS app help with Caltopo

Nodust

This is probably a simple fix but maybe I need Cliff note for dummies.

I downloaded the Avenza app and made a route in caltopo, printed to PDF(5 pages) and imported into Avenza app. I can only open the first page in the PDF. Do I need to save each page of map in a separate file?

What if the best way to generate a caltopo map route and get into Avenza?

I'm an Android guy, but I use the Caltopo/Avenza combo. When I want to have multiple pages of maps I always save each as a separate file. Caltopo will give you a unique URL for each page. Then use the "download or import maps" function in the Avenza app. Then choose the "from the web" feature and type in the URL that Caltopo gave you when you created the PDF.

Keep in mind that I just use the free Avenza and you only get 3 maps at any given time on that version. If you are paying for Avenza you most likely would have more options.

I'm fairly new to navigation apps in general, so others might have better advice...

I'm an Android guy, but I use the Caltopo/Avenza combo. When I want to have multiple pages of maps I always save each as a separate file. Caltopo will give you a unique URL for each page. Then use the "download or import maps" function in the Avenza app. Then choose the "from the web" feature and type in the URL that Caltopo gave you when you created the PDF.

Keep in mind that I just use the free Avenza and you only get 3 maps at any given time on that version. If you are paying for Avenza you most likely would have more options.

I'm fairly new to navigation apps in general, so others might have better advice...

Thanks

When you save each map page as separate file you make one page then print to PDF, make page two print and so on?

I didn’t know if caltopo would divide them up for me.

What I decided to do was. Make a bigger map 63k:1 for use in Avenza. Then make smaller more detailed maps 30k to print out. I can use phone to see where I am if needed and transfer to smaller more detailed maps if needed.

There is actually a CalTopo app now for Android. Don't know if it's available for iPhone yet, but it is in development. The Android one is still very much in beta development phase as well, but I'm enjoying it. Only think it seems to be missing at this point is a compass to orient you correctly. But you can download maps on it (up to 5GB a year on my plan) if you're paid subscriber and zoom in with great detail on whatever layers you downloaded.

Otherwise, yeah, Avenza with imported PDF or even Gaia with a GPX created from Caltopo work well. One way I've worked around the 3 page limit with Avenza when using it was to download all my PDF pages of my route from Google Drive to my phone after placing copies with my Google account, then just swap them out in the Avenza app as needed.

Thanks

When you save each map page as separate file you make one page then print to PDF, make page two print and so on?

I didn’t know if caltopo would divide them up for me.

What I decided to do was. Make a bigger map 63k:1 for use in Avenza. Then make smaller more detailed maps 30k to print out. I can use phone to see where I am if needed and transfer to smaller more detailed maps if needed.

One page at a time is correct. That's the only way I could get it to work when I used to use that system (now I just used Caltopo's own app available on Android). Your idea sounds good too if you don't care about being able to zoom in on more details and maintain quality and clarity of contours, labels and all that.

Thanks for the info.

I’ll be trying maps out in the Seven Devils range in Idaho next week. Also Wallowa range in Oregon. Got a few routes mapped.