Nick

-
So there I was, cruising south on Highway 6 in the LED spaceship, about 30 miles south of Wellington. After my last solo trip I decided to get back on the podcast bandwagon and I was totally entertained by season 1 of Serial. But a nagging thought kept popping to the foreground. I do not want to go to Moab. As much as I love everything about what I was setting out to do, there's just something about fighting the crowds around that town that makes me want to turn and run. My plan was to start with Moab again, hit Delicate and Landscape and a few others first thing on Saturday and then south to The Needles. Follow 191 down to 95, over through Cedar Mesa and up through Hanksville and back home on Sunday. But the image of the Arches NP sunroof girls on that late February morning a few weeks back was stuck in my head. And now it was even warmer! Camping alone sucks, but true solitude makes it better. So shortly before hitting I-70, I decided to change up the plan and do things in the opposite direction. Instead of heading to Arches tonight, I'd head southwest toward Hanksville and camp in an area that made me much more excited to sit out there alone all night.

Home.
reef-to-needles-850-1.jpg

After a while I went out and did a little exploring.
reef-to-needles-850-2.jpg

It just so happens that the place where I slept was also one of my intended hikes. Unfortunately, when I woke up in the back of my truck, the wind was howling and the sky was grey. I looked to the east and saw a storm pounding north wash. Doing my 'work hikes' with overcast skies is pointless. I need sunshine and blue to make the trails look good. If I have to sit and wait for it, I do. But there was blue all over on the horizon, just no sun, so I started walking. I made it through much of the area shooting overcast photos when the sun finally broke through. The early morning light and the stormy horizon made for some pretty nice shots.

reef-to-needles-850-3.jpg reef-to-needles-850-4.jpg IMG_1638-Edit.jpg reef-to-needles-850-5.jpg reef-to-needles-850-6.jpg reef-to-needles-850-7.jpg reef-to-needles-850-8.jpg reef-to-needles-850-9.jpg

Satisfied with the light and the fact I had one hike under my belt before leaving camp, I set off down an unknown route, assuming it would eventually lead me back to a highway. It did. I stopped along the way to use a nearby facility. I thought about hiking this trail, but it was through a canyon bottom still dormant from winter. Maybe next time.
reef-to-needles-850-10.jpg

Next stop, Hite Overlook in Glen Canyon. Once upon a time, Lake Powell was down there. Now it's just the Colorado River and a bunch of silt. I'm floating this next month with Glen Canyon Institute and a bunch of fellow Glen Canyon lovers. Want to come? Info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/465709730290534/
reef-to-needles-850-11.jpg reef-to-needles-850-12.jpg

Looking down at what I like to call North Wash Lake. The actual reservoir is far down stream from here now, but the river has dropped so much silt that it has essentially dammed North Wash, leaving a deep reservoir behind while the river flows on by.
reef-to-needles-850-13.jpg reef-to-needles-850-14.jpg

Thanks to @mattvogt7 for posting a photo that made me stop and look for this little gem.
reef-to-needles-850-15.jpg

The drive down UT 95 along White Canyon is such a treat. I want to spend so much more time there. But today I was off to Natural Bridges National Monument. Hike #3 for the day is Owachomo Bridge. reef-to-needles-850-16.jpg

Owachomo is the shortest and easiest bridge to hike to in the monument, but it's not without a bit of elevation change.
reef-to-needles-850-17.jpg
The view from the other side.
reef-to-needles-850-18.jpg

Next stop, Mule Canyon Ruins. No, not House on Fire or anything like that. I'm talking about the roadside ruins that are accessed by a paved walkway. Not exactly a hike, but for my purposes, it's perfect.
reef-to-needles-850-19.jpg reef-to-needles-850-20.jpg

Next up, Butler Wash Ruins. A mile round trip to a nice little overlook of the ruins. I've done this before but didn't have enough photos.
reef-to-needles-850-21.jpg
After that it was on to Blanding and then north through Monticello, then west into Indian Creek to The Needles. First stop, the short loop hike to Roadside Ruin.
reef-to-needles-850-22.jpg reef-to-needles-850-23.jpg

Next up was Cave Spring, another short hike but I really liked this one. First the cowboy cave.
reef-to-needles-850-24.jpg

Then cave spring.
reef-to-needles-850-25.jpg

Then a couple of fun ladders.
reef-to-needles-850-26.jpg

Then up top for some awesome views of the surroundings.
reef-to-needles-850-27.jpg reef-to-needles-850-28.jpg

And then on to hike #8 for the day: Pothole Point. Nice views off toward The Needles.
reef-to-needles-850-29.jpg

Cool formations along the way.
reef-to-needles-850-30.jpg reef-to-needles-850-31.jpg

As I hiked, I was thinking it was too bad it hadn't rained recently. Everything was totally dry. No wet potholes to put in the trail guide. But I was wrong.
reef-to-needles-850-32.jpg

I almost cashed it in at that point and headed for Moab. The next possibility was the Slickrock Trail. 2.4 miles round trip but there was only an hour or so of light left. Granted, none of the hikes I'd done were very long, but I was tired and saving energy for the next day sounded smart. But that's not what I did. I pulled up to the trailhead, grabbed my pack and started my way up the trail. 4 view points on a loop - no problem!

I made it to the first 3 viewpoints and was thinking this feels like quite a bit more than 2.4 miles. A check on my GPS confirmed it would go over. And then it got messy. After the third viewpoint I was zipping through the up and down of slickrock domes looking for the next cairn. I got to the other side of the mesa and kind of ran out of cairns. I looked left and right and noticed one in each direction. I assumed the left was the return of the loop and that I should go right. Other junctions like this had signs, but whatever.

Light was fading so I was hustling. The cairns got smaller and smaller. I finally reached a point that just wasn't sure where to go next. I turned and noticed a large family and a group of asian tourists had followed me. Shit. Someone saw another cairn so the big group started picking down a slope. Then another little cairn. And another.

We finally reached a break in the cliffs that led out onto a big flat plain and on to the end of the peninsula. I was in business mode and just went for it. About halfway there I realized everyone behind me had wised up and turned around. What, no head lamps? I made it to the very tip of the peninsula and was treated to a fine view.
reef-to-needles-850-33.jpg reef-to-needles-850-34.jpg

Off with the pack, a quick sip of water and then back. I had my headlamp, but this was not a place for hiking with a headlamp. No trail, just cairns in a rolling sea of slickrock. Back up from the lower plain, not much light left now.
reef-to-needles-850-35.jpg

It was totally dark by the time I made it back. My GPS registered 3.64 miles. On the way back, I realized the error in my ways. The cairns to my left led to the 4th overlook and on to the return loop. Oops. Don't build cairns, people!
reef-to-needles-850-36.jpg

There was nothing but deer around as I drove out of the Needles and up through Indian Creek. I encountered an ambulance which I later found out was heading in to respond to a fatal fall at a climb called Rambo Wall.

As I drove through the night, I once again found myself dreading the thought of Moab and the crowds. I was feeling pretty good about getting 9 hikes done so I made another change of plan. Instead of turning north toward Moab, I turned south back the way I came. It was a long, lonely drive back over Cedar Mesa and along White Canyon, then up North Wash and eventually right back to where I'd started my day near Hanksville. But it was worth it. I love that area for solo camping. I didn't choose the exact same spot, but it was close enough. It was 10:30 by the time I got there.

The next day I woke up and headed northwest toward Capitol Reef in hopes of knocking 3-5 more hikes out before heading home for the weekend. When I got there, the sun was gone. Overcast skies are just not acceptable, so I killed time driving the scenic drive. I stopped and walked the petroglyphs trail, Sunset Point and The Goosenecks. I think I got good enough pics out of the last two to make it work. Maybe all three. Regardless, I'll be back soon to pickup another handful there, hopefully with plenty of sunshine and leaves on the cottonwoods.

reef-to-needles-850-37.jpg reef-to-needles-850-38.jpg reef-to-needles-850-39.jpg

Only 20-25 more 'work hikes' to go this year. Having fun.

Last edited:
"Piecemealing" days can be so fun! One of my least favorite questions in the land management business is "what can I do that is short" because, usually, there are so many options and they are all so varied.

And unofficial cairn builders, in trailed, managed environs, have a special spot in hell :devil:

And and, great pics as always!

"Piecemealing" days can be so fun! One of my least favorite questions in the land management business is "what can I do that is short" because, usually, there are so many options and they are all so varied.

When I was first writing up hiking guides for this project, I felt like anything under a mile or two was cheating them. Turns out people love this short stuff, and I have a totally different view of it now. It's kind of fun to go pick off a ton of little hikes that are basically engineered to entertain in a short span vs. spending the whole weekend doing one big one. With that said, I definitely still prefer the latter, but at least I get it now. :)

Man! I was just in the area too. That drive is fantastic. Watching White Canyon for so long, then BAM, that's what makes the Bridges is great.

I understand wanting to stay out of Moab. We drove through it on the way home. Packed with Jeep Safari, we got out of there and camped in the Swell that night.

Great report Nick. Are anyone of your guidebooks available?

No books but yhe first 120 guides are live on the IHC website and in their Health Hub app. The app is pretty cool. It shows them all on a map and you can cache them for offline use. The 60 I'm doing this year will be added over the next few months.

Health Hikes on the web:
https://intermountainhealthcare.org/live-well/move-well/healthy-hikes

Healthy Hikes in the Health Hub app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/intermountain-health-hub/id846934886?mt=8

That's a lot of driving back and forth, but totally worth it.

thanks Nick. this is good stuff. how's the knee doing?

thanks Nick. this is good stuff. how's the knee doing?

Good sometimes, bad sometimes. It gets better once it's moving for a while. I haven't mentioned this to many people, but a while back I was diagnosed with a very rare mast cell disease that might be playing into my knee implant's reluctance to chill the f*#k out. It's also largely responsible for the heart issues that put me into the ER last year. I've been busy getting one of the most comprehensive medical workups I can imagine. Cameras down the throat and up the arse and several visits to the 'Rare Disease Clinic' at the U. That was fun but it only ruled out some things and confirmed the original diagnosis. After that I got sent up to the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Nothing like sharing a waiting room with a half dozen people with leukemia to put some perspective on your problems. That was a few weeks ago and since then I've gone through so many more tests including a very painful bone marrow biopsy. For the record, those are just as awful as they sound. They basically take a core sample out of your hip and suck out a bunch of marrow while they are at it, all while you're awake. No fun, but from my unprofessional interpretation of the preliminary results, I'm pretty sure I don't have mast cell cancer which was the worst case scenario. So that's really good. It's been kind of a tough process, but with the exception of the last week or two, the knee has been behaving pretty well. The cancer docs are super efficient about getting things tested and diagnosed in a hurry so hopefully I'll know more soon. This all came on around the time of the surgery so they're looking hard at how it might be related. That's probably a bit more than you were asking, but I'm just not sure how to answer that question nowadays with all that's been going on. On the bright side, I'm on lots of drugs and so the earlier symptoms of becoming allergic to damn near everything on the planet are currently at bay. Beer is acceptable again, for now. :)

Great report Nick!
Beautiful areas.
The app factful and educational. For hiking not bad, but BCP is a better option - IMO.

Is smartphone navigation while hiking/backpacking a good alternative now?

My DeLorme handheld screen is very small and painful to read w/o glasses.

Gesendet via iPhone 6S mit TapaTalk

Is smartphone navigation while hiking/backpacking a good alternative now?

My DeLorme handheld screen is very small and painful to read w/o glasses.

Absolutely. Try Gaia GPS on your iPhone. You can cache maps so you have topos and sat imagery when offline. It's fantastic. I don't usually record my tracks and my battery on my 6S Plus lasts for days out of service. With track recording I probably only get a day but recharging off of a small battery pack is cheap and easy. So much better than a dedicated GPS unit.

Nothing like sharing a waiting room with a half dozen people with leukemia to put some perspective on your problems.
Indeed.

Sorry to hear of your health challenges Nick. I am glad to hear the knee is doing well at the moment
and that your allergies are at bay.

All the best to you.

Nick, sorry to hear the bad news but I can say that 2 people very close to me have recently beaten some very dire cancer diagnoses. The knowledge and technology are improving so quickly. Best of luck to you and great images on the awesome TR!

Enjoy those beers.

Absolutely. Try Gaia GPS on your iPhone. You can cache maps so you have topos and sat imagery when offline. It's fantastic. I don't usually record my tracks and my battery on my 6S Plus lasts for days out of service. With track recording I probably only get a day but recharging off of a small battery pack is cheap and easy. So much better than a dedicated GPS unit.

Thank you Nick, that's helpful. :)
Maybe in the next season. For now all my routes and waypoints are fixed and maps printed. Our 11th trip to Utah starts soon.
I'm not sure, but I think @Artemus is using Gaia. I'll to ask him.

This is awesome! I am glad you are doing some of these trips and reporting on them!
I do not always have a full weekend (I work most saturdays until 1, unless its a Holiday)
I am looking for somewhere to go April 23rd overnight with my son, any ideas on a quick trip to take with car camping on the minimal time I have? I'd really like to go south, we have a couple weekends planned in southern Utah and wouldn't mind seeing some of the quick stops now.
Also, my son is very much into ghost towns so if that makes any recomendations any easier that would be great.
Thanks all!

I have just started using Gaia online, but haven't been able to bring myself to purchase the app. I have a dedicated GPS that I'm less concerned about taking a beating, falling in a stream, getting covered in dust etc. I take my phone but usually pack it in my bag inside of a ziplock bag. I also just recently acquired a Fenix 2 and look forward to messing around with that on some hikes. I like having access to all the gadgets but always feel like they tear me away from the hike. The fenix I hope will cut down on that since it is a watch that I can just peak at occasionally.