Anyone been through Death Hollow recently?

John Kerby

Planning on doing the BMT to Highway 12 bridge hike with 3 friends May 24rd to 27th. I know it flooded last fall, was curious if its recovered at all? If its passable? We are driving 17 hours one way straight through from Wichita Ks, so I'd like to know before we leave.....

Planning on doing MOAB on the way back for a couple days. Unless you guys can recommend a couple of good overnight hikes near the escalante region that aren't too far from the Death Hollow hike. We figure we'll decide after getting out of Death Hollow where we'll go, depending on how we feel.

Appriciate any info you guys have!

John

I was in there in January but only went through the BMT portion. It all looked pretty standard, no unusual flood damage and I can't imagine it would be impassable. Double check with the insurgency office but the chances are incredibly small. That canyon gets hit hard many times per year so I wouldn't think last fall would have made too big a change. I've seen some sweet pools come and go there over the years though. Maybe if you're lucky there won't be as many beaver dams! :)

If I were you, I would stick around Escalante and Capitol Reef. Moab is a zoo. There are countless awesome hikes in an hour circle from Boulder. So you want just one-night recommendations for after that? Will you have a high clearance vehicle?

They're taking over?!?!?

That's right! Just ask the locals down there... BLM, NPS and USFS are raiding the place! :D Apparently I've been calling the Escalante Interagency office that for too long apparently as it now is ending up in what I write. Hope I didn't do that in any of those trail guide I wrote for IHC... o_O

We will have my 13 supercrew 2wd F150. Decent ground clearance, but not 4wd. Just hoping death hollow is still as pretty as it was last summer. Does flooding damage it much?

We are likely planning on passing on moab now. Going to go meet these guys in an hour to talk about the trip tonight. Just about 5 weeks away, I am dieing of excitment. LOVE that place. Maybe I can convince them to try a single night hike....Anyplaces you can park your truck and come back to it? Say, park, hike in, camp for a night, and hike out? Places with water access?

I take it the feds taking over is not going over well with the locals down there?

Don't want to get into trouble, but anyonese else on here ccw or open carry while hiking in this area? I am a kansas ccw, and plan on packing in a mk25 sig. But if the place is crawling with feds.....

Just got back from doing the entire thing from Hell's Backbone on down. The lower canyon had a few debris piles, but it's in great shape and completely passable.

Great!
Thanks for info.
I'll hike down DH in 3 weeks. :)

Gesendet von meinem iPadAir mit TapatalkPro

Why pack...extra weight. Besides locals would get the drop on you before you even saw them. :)

Eh, thats true. But, I am packing accross colorado, and do not want to leave it in my car. Only safe place for my ccw piece is ON me. Do not want any trouble, locals or police.

We are leaving a week from this friday. Me, 4 other guys my age (25-31) and the father of 3 of them who is 58. Be a blast. Very much looking forward to it.

Am I right in thinking there is a place to camp IN escalante? In the city? I know they have a place you can pay to take a shower, which is our intention after the hike....

I'll likely be heading down there next weekend, too. Good info guys. Thanks for the updates. Few q's:

Is the water silty or clear? Wondering about water purification.

Are there likely to be any pools that need swimming (or deep wading)? Wonder about keeping gear dry.

Any need for webbing/rope or is that just for the upper portion of Death Hollow?

(I'm assuming no to the previous 2 questions from what @Beeks said).

I hate heights and I'm slightly nervous about the "exposed" descent...is it pretty tame or is it spicy?

I'll likely be heading down there next weekend, too. Good info guys. Thanks for the updates. Few q's:

Is the water silty or clear? Wondering about water purification.

Are there likely to be any pools that need swimming (or deep wading)? Wonder about keeping gear dry.

Any need for webbing/rope or is that just for the upper portion of Death Hollow?

(I'm assuming no to the previous 2 questions from what @Beeks said).

I hate heights and I'm slightly nervous about the "exposed" descent...is it pretty tame or is it spicy?

1. Amazingly clear.

2. Unlikely but possible. I wouldn't bother dry bagging but wouldn't be surprised for neck deep. Inflatable pads to float packs would be worst case scenario.

3. Nope.

4. Extremely tame considering the things I know you've done. It's really not bad at all. Just watch your step.

1. Amazingly clear.

2. Unlikely but possible. I wouldn't bother dry bagging but wouldn't be surprised for neck deep. Inflatable pads to float packs would be worst case scenario.

3. Nope.

4. Extremely tame considering the things I know you've done. It's really not bad at all. Just watch your step.

Right on. Thanks Nick! Clear water will be great for filtering and scenery. Still debating about what to do in case of neck deep. Worst case I guess we use our sleeping pads...maybe that's what you mean. I've done a few spicy climbs/descents but I never like it. One that I really dislike, even though it's short and not that bad, is coming off the Escalante River into Coyote Gulch with a big, heavy, and wobbly pack (packraft gear)...if you know which I'm talking about. =)

Thanks again, the info. helps a bunch!

It's steep, but a an easy walk down into DH. Take a break when ever you like or need, make a deep breath and enjoy.
This is one of the best and scenic entries into the canyons of Escalante.
Have fun! :)

Gesendet von meinem iPadAir mit TapatalkPro

By the way, a lot of the green foliage is poision ivy

By the way, a lot of the green foliage is poision ivy

Yeah, I've been warned about the poison ivy. Several in my group have had it BAD before and will be on super high alert. I'll make them go first and give me all the warnings. Hehe! :D

Thanks for the heads up...appreciate it!

We hiked in the creek itself and avoided most of it. Check out the pour off pool in Maimi Crk on your way by.

I've never seen poison ivy in the real life - only pictures and articles in the web.
Is a poison ivy kit necessary?

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X+ mit Tapatalk

KIt ? Just pack some calgel packets for itching if you get the bumps. There are various brands of cleansing soaps available. Get one specific for the oils, I use Tecnu brand in mine. You have to wash pretty soon after exposure. Best is to wear long shirt / pants then wash them good. Certain times of the year are worse than others for it.

A lot of the S Utah canyons have it.