Another Friday Night... White

Ugly

Life really is better Here
I have a confession... this year it has been keeping me out late at night and away from home. It has become too obvious and some people are starting to wonder.
I have to admit that I am struggling to stop.
The snow has just been too perfect, and there has been oodles of it.

No overnight this weekend, as the timing just did not work out. However, all it took was a bribe of KFC and I had a mostly willing trail partner.

Today was the definition of bluebird. Sunshine galore. Still some untouched snow from the feet that fell this week. No wind.
I had been stood up earlier in the day, and was stir crazy, work was also slow, so I was out of work early seeking sunshine. Then it took some time to get someone to tag along. However, the timing was just about perfect. She was just not motivated to make the mileage she normally would, but that was fine.

Once on the trail. We spent time rolling snowballs down one of the slopes. She made a snowball she named Harold. We chased a pair of coyotes up the trail. We laughed at some chickadees...or small gray birds at least. Also watched a couple woodpeckers coming out of the holes in an aspen. We only saw four skiers on the way up, and heard some voices (real ones), but that was it on one of the more popular trails.
Only downsides were that she lost her sunglasses, and when she made me listen to some of the music where our tastes do not overlap. :dance::giggle:

Snowshoeing With Ade0070-sm.jpg

Mini prisms.
Snowshoeing With Ade0043-sm-proc.jpg

Snowshoeing With Ade0102-sm-bw.jpg

Snowshoeing With Ade0104-sm.jpg

Tonight's partner in crime. Cresting a climb.
Snowshoeing With Ade0111-sm-bw.jpg

Snowshoeing With Ade0171-sm-bw.jpg

Snowshoeing With Ade0143-sm.jpg

Snowshoeing With Ade0197-sm-bw.jpg

Snowshoeing With Ade0219sm.jpg

Snowshoeing With Ade0224-sm.jpg

Cloudless sunset with a little inversion.
Snowshoeing With Ade0248-sm.jpg

The moon was casting shadows and just enough light on the way down. Orion was up overhead and as we crossed the six or seven feet of snow that was on top of the bridge over the creek, we stopped and talked about the strength of the wooden bridge and the tons of snow it was holding. Then it was back to the Jeep and that other reality.

Bluebird. Sunshine galore. Untouched snow. No wind. Stir crazy. Seeking sunshine. What's not to like?

Last edited:
Great story @Ugly . Your love for the fresh powdery snow is wonderful and your recent Friday night winter photos with the tree shadows are incredible!

There must have been more than a KFC bribe involved to get your daughter out on the trail Friday evening? It’s pretty amazing that she went and it sounds like you had fun.

Bridges: Here in the Redwood parks more and more trail bridges have collapsed or they are not structurally sound. But somehow they never seem to get repaired or replaced again! First time we hike with backup water shoes...

Bluebird. Sunshine galore. Untouched snow. No wind. Stir crazy. Seeking sunshine. What's not to like?

It is all to like.

Great story @Ugly . Your love for the fresh powdery snow is wonderful and your recent Friday night winter photos with the tree shadows are incredible!

There must have been more than a KFC bribe involved to get your daughter out on the trail Friday evening? It’s pretty amazing that she went and it sounds like you had fun.

Bridges: Here in the Redwood parks more and more trail bridges have collapsed or they are not structurally sound. But somehow they never seem to get repaired or replaced again! First time we hike with backup water shoes...

Naw, her friends were unavailable...
This bridge seems sturdy enough.
IMG_6381.jpg

Another beautiful share!
Mmmm...KFC...haha
I love the shot where snow is falling from the tree!

It is all to like.

Naw, her friends were unavailable...
This bridge seems sturdy enough.
View attachment 75916

Great photo..... It’s funny, the coffee this morning didn’t do it.... it’s just now after a good Margarita, that I realize you daughter is snow shoeing on compacted snow higher than the bridge railing!