Another Fatality at AL

zionsky

The second person in a month has died after falling from Angel's Landing. Not sure but I'm guessing the park service will be evaluating counter measures. Very sad.

I wonder what they can do besides close the trail? I guess limit the number of people, limit the conditions under which people can do the hike, etc. Ugh.

the trail is just way too busy. And nowadays people start hiking in before sunrise to beat the crowds. I guess it will not be the last fatality this year with that extremely high visitation

I definitely see a permit system incoming
Agreed. I don't think any other option would be viable. I keep imagining it being like like an amusement park where you have to wait in line or get the fast pass or something

July 2019, just the beginning of the line to go up to Angels Landing
I worked the line that entire holiday weekend and wait times were up to 6 hours to go up to Angels Landing
The picture was taken at the Grotto trailhead and the line was four times as long as in the picture.
That's how Angels Landing often is in the summer.
Right now we have several hundreds of visitors each day, parking was full each weekday at about 10:15 am when the shuttle was not running

i-WXx9Bth-L.jpg

I worked the line that entire holiday weekend and wait times were up to 6 hours to go up to Angels Landing
The picture was taken at the Grotto trailhead and the line was four times as long as in the picture.
Right now we have several hundreds of visitors each day, parking was full each weekday at about 10:15 am when the shuttle was not running

i-WXx9Bth-L.jpg
Wow. I had no idea it was already like that. That photo is wild.

I'm not sure if the "crowding" is the primary cause of the falls. It sounds like this one was reported by other hikers who saw it happen, but the previous two were found after people were reported missing or cars were left in the lot. Apparently no one was close enough to them to see it happen.

We went in December a couple years ago...started at first light. There was one couple leaving as we reached the top, then we had it to ourselves for about 15 minutes.

Oh my gosh - we were there in June 2009 and it was not like that at all. Were all those people in line because someone (you, @Yvonne?) was serving as gatekeeper and letting people in as others were leaving, or something like that? I wonder if there will be a permit system like the one at Half Dome? Is it similarly crowded to walk up the Narrows?

Oh my gosh - we were there in June 2009 and it was not like that at all. Were all those people in line because someone (you, @Yvonne?) was serving as gatekeeper and letting people in as others were leaving, or something like that? I wonder if there will be a permit system like the one at Half Dome? Is it similarly crowded to walk up the Narrows?
yeah, we controlled the line. We let 10 people about every 10 minutes and again after some people returned.
And I was actually convincing and thinned out the lines quite a bit and rerouted them to other hikes, lol
We started that year giving out stamps like at night clubs but that didn't work so well. We then started handing out timed tickets a few weeks later. We were supposed to pick up with that last year during the summer, but COVID had different plans.
Hopefully at one point this year we can pick up where we left and test out more systems. At one point it definitely will move to a permit system.

yeah, we controlled the line. We let 10 people about every 10 minutes and again after some people returned.
And I was actually convincing and thinned out the lines quite a bit and rerouted them to other hikes, lol
We started that year giving out stamps like at night clubs but that didn't work so well. We then started handing out timed tickets a few weeks later. We were supposed to pick up with that last year during the summer, but COVID had different plans.
Hopefully at one point this year we can pick up where we left and test out more systems. At one point it definitely will move to a permit system.
Thank you for your efforts and hard work!

It's been 10 years or more but I will never forget the time I was on the chains sections and two kids came jogging by everyone paying no attention to the 1000 foot drop offs within a few feet of either side. Still makes me shudder...

Thank you for your efforts and hard work!
I was just talking today to a colleague who will be going to southern Utah over spring break (end of March/beginning of April). They're going to Zion and want to hike Angel's Landing. @Yvonne, would there be a long line for AL at that time of year? If so, do you have alternatives to recommend? I see that Hidden Canyon and Observation Point are closed due to rockfall; do you have any idea when those might reopen? I also see that Observation Point can be accessed from the East Mesa Trail, but is that open and a good choice? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I was just talking today to a colleague who will be going to southern Utah over spring break (end of March/beginning of April). They're going to Zion and want to hike Angel's Landing. @Yvonne, would there be a long line for AL at that time of year? If so, do you have alternatives to recommend? I see that Hidden Canyon and Observation Point are closed due to rockfall; do you have any idea when those might reopen? I also see that Observation Point can be accessed from the East Mesa Trail, but is that open and a good choice? Thanks for any help you can provide.
not a super long line at the trailhead, but it will be very busy up the chain part. My tip is to go early and get the earliest shuttle tickets possible. Or ride a bicycle to the trailhead.
Observation Point will be closed indefinitely as the rockfall is still active and unstable. There is still a bus-sized piece of rocks that can come down any time. Best bet to do Observation Point is hiking it from the East Side, but this of the year it can be a hit and miss due to extremely muddy and snowy roads. Especially if going in via the East Mesa trail, the last mile is extremely rough and right now inaccessible due to snow and mud.
I went and hiked some of the East Rim a few days ago and it had 6-8 inches of snow.

i-WXx9Bth-L.jpg

So unreal and discouraging. This % increase over the past few years is happening in many areas of the west. Where is everyone coming from? Did they just stay home prior to Instagram and Covid?

So unreal and discouraging. This % increase over the past few years is happening in many areas of the west. Where is everyone coming from? Did they just stay home prior to Instagram and Covid?
That's my question too. Or are people just getting out more because of coronavirus? I got out less than normal last year, so maybe I'm the exception to the rule.

That's my question too. Or are people just getting out more because of coronavirus? I got out less than normal last year, so maybe I'm the exception to the rule.

I would guess that many of these people would normally be travelling abroad, visiting theme parks and amusement parks, and going on cruises, etc... All things that were shut down due to COVID. I have hope that once those things are back to normal many people will return to those activities...