Another day, another Adirondack paddle

kwc

Took the inflatable kayak (now affectionately named the Green Goblin) out onto the West Branch of the Sacandaga today for another test drive. River was even higher than it was last week when we paddled this in our canoes. Of course this area has had something like 10+ inches of rain so far in July so it should be expected!

3595DEB5-45E1-4FBA-BBC9-714791698E78.jpeg
Starting out, heading into the current. Current was very strong.
82755D44-31BF-4D46-A948-8505D44452B8.jpeg
these flowers are everywhere along the river. My PlantNet identifier says it’s Steeplebrush.
11FA8A40-B8DE-4483-B641-614DADCCC84D.jpeg
Maples are turning reddish, probably because they’re stressed by the high water.
81EB0BEF-9C71-494E-8644-86287B27D2DD.jpegThis water lily was about a foot under the surface
53B993B9-3470-45D5-BAA3-423954FBCA51.jpeg
heading back with the current, ominous clouds on the horizon. When I reached the takeout the skies were getting darker and just as I was about to start folding up the kayak the heavens opened up. Jumped into the truck and waited until things slowed down and then put the partially folded kayak in the truck bed. Drove about two miles down the road and everything was dry - no rain. Stopped at a trailhead pullout and folded up the kayak.
E139A7B0-5EA0-4621-9BDA-0E718DDEEFEC.jpeg
solitary goose off in the weeds. Usually this area would be dry and above the water.
C05A6CB1-A782-4919-812F-A97FD098CAE1.jpeg

6D59F5C7-D665-4135-AC4E-50AB0B7075A1.jpeg

For @scatman … The kayak handled well going against the current today. There was some wind to deal with on the return to the canoe launch and the kayak handled it a bit better than the canoe would have, probably because the kayak is lower in the water and there’s less surface for the wind to catch. I paddled into a couple of the flooded ‘lagoons’, out of the current, and tested turning and backing up and I have to say that the kayak is quite nimble (quite unlike its owner). My only issue now is the backrest of the seat, it’s not rigid/solid enough to hold my back upright comfortably. I think I have a solution for that so I’m just going to have to experiment and see how it works out. And I would not take this kayak on any trip where I would have to portage as it’s too cumbersome/awkward to carry any distance; you can’t really flip it over and carry it over your head like a canoe.

For anyone contemplating a kayak like this, i’m 5’6” and I fit in the kayak comfortably. But if you’re 5’10” or taller it would be a tight squeeze for your legs.

I don’t know what model of AE kayak you have, but I sure like the color better than the three I have. Thanks for the pictures of someplace with water. I miss it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kwc Another Adirondack Hike Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Yet Another Adirondack Paddle On The Water 1
kwc Yet another Adirondack paddle On The Water 1
kwc Another Adirondack Paddle On The Water 0
kwc Another Adirondack fire tower Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Yet Another Adirondack Hike 5/5/20 Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Adirondack Hike 4/23/20 Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Another Adirondack Paddle ... On The Water 0
kwc A Sunny Day Calls for Another Adirondack Paddle On The Water 2
kwc Another Adirondack Hike Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Adirondack Paddle On The Water 4
kwc another Adirondack Canoe day trip On The Water 5
scatman Another Interesting Article General Discussion 6
kwc Another Fall Day of Paddling On The Water 0
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Rockskipper Did someone put another monolith on Mt. Wilbur in Glacier? General Discussion 14
kwc Another sunny day, another jaunt in the Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another short jaunt in the southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
Reef&Ruins Interesting Thread on Another Hiking Forum General Discussion 13
Nethos Another water post(Bowdie/Midway) Trip Planning 10
G another lurker converting to a non-lurker Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
zionsky Another Fatality at AL General Discussion 40
Ben Longest you've gone without seeing another person General Discussion 17
kwc Another Hike in the Adirondacks 5/13/20 Hiking & Camping 3
F Another Lurker comes out of the Woods Noobs: Introduce yourself! 11
boulder Another new guy Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
WasatchWill Horsetail Falls: Another Father-Daughter Overnighter Backpacking 3
Ugly Another Friday Night... White Winter Sports 7
balzaccom Another Trail Crew trip Backpacking 4
C Another Noober Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
T Another of those what shoes for cdt loop Gear 8
wabenho Another Morning MTB Ride – Wasatch Back Everything Else 1
Kelley Another Sleeping Pad question. Gear 5
Miya Yay! Another Tent and Trail Runners! Gear 8
Tymath Another noob from Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
IcyJ Yet another noob here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Perry Wow! Another Impressive Feat: Man Climbs Colorado's 100 Highest Peaks. Nonstop General Discussion 2
Rockskipper The Bells - yet another place getting overwhelmed General Discussion 19
SKLund Packs: On Another Subject Gear 9
WasatchWill Memorial Day: Another great trip to Torrey Hiking & Camping 11
JackBurns Not another Beef Basin trip Off Road 4
Blake Merrell Kayaking Lone Rock Canyon: Another beUTAHful adventure! On The Water 8
H Another noon! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Curt Another Salt Creek Canyon Report Backpacking 12
Nick Banz Another Noob Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Nick Another wolf was in Utah General Discussion 2
dfcooper Another Noob. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Deepak YAH. Yet Another Hiker Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1