American man first to solo across Antarctica unaided

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Trip Reports
So uh... does anyone have the deets on this? I know a couple Aussies and a Dane (sounds like the beginning of a joke) both skied unsupported from the edge of Antarctica to the South Pole and back a few years ago (not even a cup of hot chocolate at the Pole). I assume that this was a little bit longer than their journey (that is, that the Pole is off-center on the Antarctic continent), but was this really significantly harder or more notable? Or is it just Mr Instagram Man is better at self-promotion?

Parma

@parma26
Trip Reports
Thread starter #4
@LarryBoy This line from the story may explain it:
Though others have traversed Antarctica, they either had assistance with reinforced supplies or kites that helped propel them forward.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Trip Reports
Check out the nat geo documentary "Crossing the Ice". Those guys definitely did it unsupported - but to the middleish and back rather than all the way across. I just don't know how that compares to going all the way across, difficulty-wise.

Titans

Trip Reports
Last edited:

Bob

Trailmaster
Trip Reports
Kinda like climbing peaks just to say you did it ..... A little touched in the head. .... Sorry climbers (Art) ...... Lol

Bob

Trailmaster
Trip Reports
Trip Reports
Wow. I looked through his Instagram pictures and comments and it was cool (understatement)! Thanks for sharing @Parma !