Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon

Is this documented anywhere? Just curious!
Can't imagine the granary isn't "real". If the NPS knew it was a fake it certainly would have been torn down, Also, False Kiva is an actual archaeological site. The NPS closed it to visitation because of people altering the ring.

Can't imagine the granary isn't "real". If the NPS knew it was a fake it certainly would have been torn down, Also, False Kiva is an actual archaeological site. The NPS closed it to visitation because of people altering the ring.
The granary I mentioned isn't real. @regehr - Sorry, I've never looked for documentation. I had a ranger at HFRS tell me it was fake a while back. Kind of a buzzkill to end that trip..lol

@R@nger is currently working at Canyonlands NP, and visits this website occasionally. He saw my post on this thread, and reached out by PM to let me know it was actually built in the 80s and that it is quite the process to take it down in this particular case. Its not my place to share everything he mentioned, but I'm sure I'm ok in saying the main reason its taking the NPS longer than normal to take it down is that it requires a lot of paperwork because it was mistakenly documented as an official archaeological site with the State of Utah and given a Smithsonian number.

Last edited:
The granary I mentioned isn't real. @regehr - Sorry, I've never looked for documentation. I had a ranger at HFRS tell me it was fake a while back. Kind of a buzzkill to end that trip..lol

@ranger is currently working at Canyonlands NP, and visits this website occasionally. He saw my post on this thread, and reached out by PM to let me know it was actually built in the 80s and that it is quite the process to take it down in this particular case. Its not my place to share everything he mentioned, but I'm sure I'm ok in saying the main reason its taking the NPS longer than normal to take it down is that it requires a lot of paperwork because it was mistakenly documented as an official archaeological site with the State of Utah and given a Smithsonian number.
WOW! Must really be a lot of paperwork for it to still be standing after 40 yrs. Was the ranger Gary Cox?

Ha Ha that's actually one of the things we laughed about! Government moves at its own pace! 40 years should make it a real archaeological site at this point- right? I believe they started the process to remove it recently because its getting more attention. It wasn't Gary Cox- but he's a legend down there for sure! Met both he and his wife, Great people!

Reactions: AWR
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
SteveR Amazing Akamina Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
norwegianxplorer Ski Dogs, Norway, fun days off piste ski touring amazing conditions Winter Sports 0
K Amazing Sunrises and Sunsets General Discussion 0
Reef&Ruins Amazing Photos from An Air-Freighter Pilot Photography 0
TJ Sheridan AMAZING Fantasy Canyon - Pics & Film Hiking & Camping 17
xjblue The Amazing Maze, Sept. 2011 Hiking & Camping 13
Dave Amazing historical resource General Discussion 4
Stickerbumper Uinta Discovery Trail 2018 Backpacking 17
Deadeye008 Bear Grylls Fired by Discovery! General Discussion 15
Seldom Seen Anderson "Discovery" of Vermilion Cliffs General Discussion 8
B Southern Utah March suggestions? Trip Planning 5
desertvic Howdy from rural Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
ww.joedirt.do Hello from Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Martyn Hi from Hurricane Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
B Good trips in Southern Utah given current conditions Trip Planning 26
saltybird SE Utah NPs in April Trip Planning 13
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
regehr recent Utah meteorite General Discussion 0
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Rudolf_The_Red Hello from BFE, Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
H location of thirteen faces-horse canyon Utah Hiking & Camping 4
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
H Horse Canyon needles district Utah Off Road 0
S Howdy from Utah!! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
D jackets found in southern Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
kwc Southern Utah Accommodations Question General Discussion 10
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
CodyL Southern Utah in January Backpacking 14
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
U greetings from southwest Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Jumper84 Hello from Kearns, Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Parma The Best Arch in Utah is... General Discussion 20
Jazerrad Parunweap Canyon / The Barracks (Utah) Trip Planning 4
TrektheWorld Utah Trip - last weekend of October 2021 Meet Up (Members Only) 2
garyhost Cedar Mesa Utah Trip. Conditions? Water? Trip Planning 8
GramaNana Newbie Overnight with REI gear - Farmington, Utah May 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
GramaNana Seeking Short Overnights in Utah General Discussion 5
AnneMarieO Food protection in SE Utah? General Discussion 2