Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon

It’s with the BLM Archaeologist now…
See what they say.

I think it is likely just a natural oddity. It seems where it is, is not that steep, so it would be subject to a lot of erosion. There is also a lot of crossbedding around there and some similar features just south.
As for getting there, I looked at my pictures and still cannot remember if the middle fork of Annie's is still hikeable. For sure the north fork is a big alcove, because we ate lunch there. Once in Annie's one should be able to get onto the Fold, but there are potential barriers, and slots/pouroffs that come along with that area.

Ironically, I was 10 miles due west of that spot last weekend. Wrong canyon complex and a few canyons in between.

See what they say.

I think it is likely just a natural oddity. It seems where it is, is not that steep, so it would be subject to a lot of erosion. There is also a lot of crossbedding around there and some similar features just south.
As for getting there, I looked at my pictures and still cannot remember if the middle fork of Annie's is still hikeable. For sure the north fork is a big alcove, because we ate lunch there. Once in Annie's one should be able to get onto the Fold, but there are potential barriers, and slots/pouroffs that come along with that area.

Ironically, I was 10 miles due west of that spot last weekend. Wrong canyon complex and a few canyons in between.
So the two I have spoken to are very intrigued.They did confirm It does not come up in the Utah Historic preservation files. So, assuming it is ‘something’, chances are no one has seen it. Don’t want to get ahead of myself, but this is so cool lol. Thanks all!

See what they say.

I've hiked near the spot (and actually camped just a couple hundred meters from there) a few years ago. I'd say it definitely isn't a spot that would get much Lake hiker traffic, though there is a very old mining track somewhat nearby. I kinda agree it is probably a natural oddity. Some similar geology along the same drainage in other spots. Very cool area though.

I've hiked near the spot (and actually camped just a couple hundred meters from there) a few years ago. I'd say it definitely isn't a spot that would get much Lake hiker traffic, though there is a very old mining track somewhat nearby. I kinda agree it is probably a natural oddity. Some similar geology along the same drainage in other spots. Very cool area though.
You would be one of my first guesses, if anyone had been there.

I was just reading In the book The Glen Canyon Country it mentions that one group of archaeologists drove down to the area Long Creek Canyon. If so, it would have been a mining track somewhere along the Fold, and possibly nearby.
Long Creek and Bowns canyon/Bechan Cave are cool in their own regard. They have been on my list for a while.

Interesting to see if anything more comes of this.

No update as of yet. I am trying to stay skeptical, however, I will say this…
Out of everyone I have been in contact with, including the BLM archaeologists, the idea that this spot might be so remote that no one actually has seen it (which I honestly figured was 0%), is growing more and more real. Obviously could be shadows, etc., but that is why I went to the local community of experts, instead of jumping in the next flight lol. Thanks all

You would be one of my first guesses, if anyone had been there.

I was just reading In the book The Glen Canyon Country it mentions that one group of archaeologists drove down to the area Long Creek Canyon. If so, it would have been a mining track somewhere along the Fold, and possibly nearby.
Long Creek and Bowns canyon/Bechan Cave are cool in their own regard. They have been on my list for a while.

Interesting to see if anything more comes of this.
Ok, so the archaeologists got back to me. They reached out to a Navajo representative, who also confirmed that they have no survey data from this area either and doesn’t know of anyone who would. He also mentioned the old mine trail by Schock Bar(?), that someone here mentioned was in the area, and he said it would be 3-4 miles from that location. He is intrigued as well and mentioned that if anyone does plan a trip, he would love to go! This is amazing.

So, I have been in contact with BLM, NPS and Navajo representatives. While some do believe it is nothing more than water erosion of rock, shadows, etc. and likely natural, a few things are confirmed:
1. Despite the surrounding well known sites, trails, boaters, etc..; it is a very remote site.
2. Only way to access it (without hiking 10+ miles one way), would be through one of two canyons from the water.
3. There is no historical documentation of Native art/glyphs, etc for this area, nor any survey data.

They did agree it is very intriguing, obviously can’t say without having actual eyes on it. The Navajo representative also stated as I mentioned before, that if someone does plan a trip, he would love to go.

I have family nearby in Durango, I could potentially be taking a trip in the semi-near future, but if anyone else plans a trip, please keep me in the loop. I would love to see what it really looks like close up. Thanks again to everyone for all of the information that was provided.

If anyone would like to PM me, I will provide the coordinates.
Hey there, new to the forum but I am headed to GCNRA tomorrow and I'm still undecided on where exactly I want to do some backpacking, so would love to see where exactly this is at. Sent you a PM to get the coordinates.

Looking at historical imagery on Google Earth I'm pretty sure it's just shadows on the crossbedding, lot's of textures in those rocks.

Attachments

• lk powell.jpg
    lk powell.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 106
lower left corner on GE, after you zoom in a little a date showsup.... click that and brings photo timeline up in the upper left corner....

Even if it were "real", the fact is, people have been pulling archaeological pranks for hundreds of years. Years ago on a van trip through Wyoming, I think on a two-lane highway to Casper, the driver stopped at a remote informal rest area kind of wide spot in the road. He pointed out some really creepy looking faces carved into the rock, they had been done in historical times, but were probably fairly old.

Go Ogle Earth is definitely a time sink!

Even if it were "real", the fact is, people have been pulling archaeological pranks for hundreds of years.
Ha ha this is true! It wasn't built as a prank, but a good local example for me is a granary in Canyonlands that gets a lot of attention and pics of it posted. This topic would be an interesting thread or make a good discussion around a fire. On second hand, maybe I don't want to find out some of the things I've searched for in the backcountry aren't authentic lol.

False Kiva ......... example

False Kiva ......... example
Yep Bob! I thought of that one too. Granary I mentioned above is by Lou's Spring in Ernies country. It was built in the 90s by a Professor and a few students. I'm not sure why the NPS hasn't broken it down- maybe at this point they figure why bother.