Afternoon Hike in Redrock Canyon

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
After a lazy Saturday morning I decided to get out and get walking. One of the few places with public access in the county in which I live is the East Canyon Wildlife Management Area. Being closed to the public from December until the second Saturday in April it was time to get into the canyon before cattle grazing commences. Being early in the season the cotton woods and scrub oak had yet to leaf out but the grass was just starting to green up. I was sure I would be hitting snow as I climbed into the higher reaches so I brought along my micro spikes just in case.

My route would take me about two miles from the trailhead up the bottom of the canyon. Here's a video documenting the day...

An obscurely marked side trail rises quickly up to the north east providing a first look back down the canyon.

DSC00955.jpg

The trail follows a long ridge eventually fading out at its head. From here on travel would be all cross country, climbing more steeply, providing a first peek west of the Wasatch Back.

DSC00956.jpg

I began to encounter soft snow and somewhat muddy conditions at approximately 7,500 feet. Staying on the more southerly facing angles helped a bit. A look back showed the canyon below and some of the prominent peaks north of downtown Salt Lake City. Pretty sure Grandview Peak just just left of center.

DSC00957.jpg

Reaching the second of two red rocky outcroppings revealed East Canyon Reservoir below. Off to the left you can see the ski areas in the Park City area. To the right some of the big Wasatch peaks.

DSC00958.jpg

The Morgan Valley appears below the Wasatch Back skyline. Prominent is Mt Ogden just left of center, Ben Lomond just right of center and Durst Mountain on the right.

DSC00968-HDR.jpg

Arriving at Redrock Peak provided a nice 360 degree view in spite of only being 8,100 feet high. Hanging cornices adorned the east facing side.

DSC00974-HDR.jpg

Looking east, carefully, you might see some of the big peaks in the Uintas.

DSC00977-HDR.jpg

A stop for a snack break on the way down at the lower rock outcropping. A view of the route out.

DSC00986-HDR.jpg

A zoom in of the big peaks south. Pretty sure Mt Superior is in the middle. Can you name some of the others? Man! There's some serious snow up there!

DSC00992-HDR.jpg

I found the composition of the rock outcroppings interesting. Exploring around them I had two large squirrels playing hide-n-seek with me. I kept trying to get a shot of them but they refused to stick around long enough.

DSC01026-HDR.jpg

It was a very nice afternoon out in my backyard!

Last edited:
I liked this one. Great to see the views back to the popular ranges where I end up most often.
The video had more of it, but I really like the scenes where the grass is greening up right up to the edge of the melting snow and mud.

I liked this one. Great to see the views back to the popular ranges where I end up most often.
The video had more of it, but I really like the scenes where the grass is greening up right up to the edge of the melting snow and mud.

I find it kind of a magical time when things are just starting to green up but still snow around.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ugly Autumn Afternoon on the Alpine Loop Hiking & Camping 5
JasonT2000 good afternoon Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
uintahiker Thurston Peak in half an afternoon Hiking & Camping 3
Yvonne Stormy afternoon in Snow Canyon Everything Else 7
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
O YNP Union Falls easy hike Aug 4-8 2023? Meet Up (Members Only) 9
kwc Another Adirondack Hike Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Hadley Mountain hike Hiking & Camping 1
T America's Wildest Through-hike General Discussion 0
kwc Short Snowshoe Hike today, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
Ellen What are your favorite spots to hike and camp in December? Trip Planning 10
F The El Camino Real, A failed hike. Backpacking 16
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
Jackson Quick day hike in the Montana Absarokas Hiking & Camping 13
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
Rockskipper Afraid to hike alone? Go with this guy - or maybe not. General Discussion 2
Titans Birthday hike Nov 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
P A short hike on the AT in Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Hadley Mountain Fire Tower hike, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
kwc Short hike to a fire tower Hiking & Camping 3
MikeP Canmore Thru-Hike Trip Planning 1
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Blue Mountain hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Goodnow Mountain fire tower hike Hiking & Camping 2
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
kwc Winter Hike into Broomstick Lake 1/13/21 Hiking & Camping 2
Outdoor_Fool October Denali Hike Hiking & Camping 21
Tomaswmitchell Cuberant Lake hike, Bigfoot tracks? Video Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Stony Pond hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
Arizona Jones Willow Valley Loop Hike, Arizona Canyoneering 8
kwc Hurricane Mtn hike in the Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
regehr quick Medicine Bow / Laramie-area hike? Trip Planning 0
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
kwc Adirondack Spring Hike #? Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Hike in the Adirondacks 5/13/20 Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Yet Another Adirondack Hike 5/5/20 Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Another Adirondack Hike 4/23/20 Hiking & Camping 2
Perry Day Hike Exploring the Wasatch Ridge Line Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
Benjamin Hayden Looking for good hike away from people in Sedona in mid-February Trip Planning 3