Advice on the best light backpacking tent

One more thing I'd suggest for desert camping is an inner tent that has solid walls at least half way up. This makes it breathe worse in the snow, but it'll keep out wind blown sand.

At one point I had a very expensive z packs ultralight tent (I was going to say it was a 'nice' tent, but it wasn't). I took it into the desert, and due to the design, wheb the wind blew, tons of sand came in right at face level when lying down. It was the only time I cut a trip short due to frustration. Within 30 seconds I had 6 cups of sand in my tent. I hated that tent for our environment.

@Miss Buffalo has a very cool 1 - man tent from eastern mountain sports. I've been very impressed with that one.

Solo tent or able to fit 2? 3?
Does it need to be freestanding or would you want one that can be set up with trekking poles?
Is price a factor?
What conditions will it be used in? Do you need a double wall or would a single wall work?
Are you gentle or hard on your gear?

More info on your needs would be very helpful in making suggestions.

Price is not a factor. I want to be able to use it for me and my dog. A two person tent should work. I will be camping and backpacking from spring to fall.

Haha ... You are right Steve....

Don't use trek poles and I think tarps are crazy, been too many places with big spiders, fire ants, deer mice and ringtails.

Backwoods.....whew the article says 8lbs, I assume you can get a lighter version..

No treK poles and no tarp. Sadly, I am afraid of dark so a tent that close up and that is lightweight would be awesome.

I've been researching upgrading to a lighter 2 person freestanding tent for a while and was going to get a Fly Creek UL2 but now I'm leaning heavily towards getting a Terra Nova Solar Photon 2. Weighs 2lbs 1oz so it's 10oz lighter than the Fly Creek UL2 and 1lb 6oz lighter than the Copper Spur UL2. Packs up smaller, has a larger vestibule, and made with stronger UL material than Big Agnes uses. A little harder to find and a little more expensive than Big Agnes though. Still trying to find the best deal on one.
I am going to have to check this out. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll let you know what I pick.

Terra looks like decent tent. Floor space bigger but head height lower. Looks like door on the end? I really like the side door tents, don't have to climb over everything. How's the ventilation reports, looks pretty covered to the ground.

Terra looks like decent tent. Floor space bigger but head height lower. Looks like door on the end? I really like the side door tents, don't have to climb over everything. How's the ventilation reports, looks pretty covered to the ground.

That's the one thing I don't like is the end door. But I'm willing to put up with it for the weight savings over the side door options out there. About the ventilation, this really long and detailed review here states the following:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Tent-Reviews/Terra-Nova-Solar-Photon-2

"A large wire brimmed vent covers the front door and can open even in the rain. A triangular vent can open (or remain closed) at the rear. These help to increase air flow through the tent and reduce condensation. Most other ultralight tents, including the Fly Creek and Mountain Hardwear SuperMega, have no vents at all."

Price is the other condition I look at.... Is increase in price worth minor differences......

there's a lot of very good advice on here already, and a couple people pointed out crucial questions you need to ask your self.

that being said, i'll second @River 's recommendation of big agnes' fly creek ul2. i just got mine this fall, and used it for 7 nights in the grand canyon and one night at the buckskin gulch trail head. and i shared it with my girl friend each of those. it was a close fit, but totally doable for us, but both of us are exceptionally thin people. for one and a dog it should be about perfect. i wanted some thing that i could use for when i went solo, and the occasions that my girl came along. the material is thin, but if you are mildly careful, i think the tent is fantastic. i was extremely happy with it, but i haven't had it for very long yet. it's nearly a pound lighter than the copper spur that many other people on here love.

i'd be curious to hear from some one who had actually used the terra nova though at the price vegan.hiker mentioned.

The Copper Spur is a great tent. We used mine for almost a month in Patagonia in some pretty rough weather and loved the ability to cook in the vestibule.

I own at least 8 tents. My "go to" light weight tent in my TT Rainbow. I let a friend use one on his CDT hike (and now a triple crowner) last year and the only issue he had was with the zipper which he said every through hiker had issues with regardless of the manufacture. That I was told was due to blowing sand.

Enjoy your BA tent. I have one of those too. I have the BA Fly Creek 1. My only complaint with it is the front entry. I prefer the side entry better. Easier for me to get in and out of without dragging dirt, snow, etc.. in to the tent.

Last edited: