Advice for August - Wasatch, Uintas, Tetons

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Hi all. I'd like some August destination advice. I have my mother-in-law reserved to babysit next Friday/Saturday as well as the 13th through 15th so I can take my wife out on a couple trips before school starts back up. First trip will have to be an overnighter and the second will be a two-nighter. We're also hoping skies will be clear enough to catch the remnants of the Perseid showers on the latter trip.

Here's what's on the table for the overnighter so far:

Timpanogos
Day 1 - Start from Alpine Loop Summit trailhead, take Willow Hollow Trail over to Timpooneke then up Timpooneke and cross fingers to find a good campsite still available between the main basin and Hidden Lakes. Have dinner, then head to Saddle and stake out a spot to catch the sunset and night-hike back to camp.
Day 2 - Shoot for the summit early in the morning then down Aspen Grove trail and return to trailhead and car via Lame Horse Trail. Go home.

And here's what's on the table for the two-nighter with some additional questions on some of them:

Naturalist Basin
Day 1 - Start early in the morning from Highline trailhead. Seek out a good spot around Jordan lake or move on to an upper lake. Set up camp and explore surrounding lakes and waterfalls. Get in some fishing before retiring to camp for the night.
Day 2 - Bag Mount Aggasiz or Spread Eagle Peak, whichever is least technical and safest from the basin (if any). Spend afternoon doing some more lake-hopping and fishing in the basin.
Day 3 - Head back toward trailhead. Bag Hayden Peak or side trip out to Mirror Lake, depending on energy levels and weather. Return Home.

Will the waterfalls I see in pictures still be as picturesque this late in the summer, or would this area really be worth saving for mid to late June when the cliffs and walls are really erupting with snowmelt as I have read in other reviews?

Is Mount Aggasiz or Spread Eagle Peak safe enough to summit by just boulder hopping up and along the ridge there above the basin? When I say safe, think Kings Peak ridge.

Notch Mountain - Ibantik Lake - Bench Lake
Day 1 - Hike from Crystal Lake TH up over pass to Ibantik Lake and set up camp. Check out nearby falls and ponds and do some fishing.
Day 2 - Pick up camp and move to Bench Lake. Scout out and fish nearby lakes.
Day 3 - Head out to Bald Mountain TH. Dump packs and head up Bald Mountain for the view. Return Home.

I read where Nick described a steep section into the Ibantik drainage from the eastern side in a previous TR post. Would that make this whole hike significantly less strenuous to reverse the route?

Stillwater Basins (West, Middle, Amethyst Basins)
Day 1 - Seek out and set up camp at Kermsuh Lake. Go Fishing.
Day 2 - Head down and around to Ryder Lake. Set up camp. Check out McPheters Lake, then back down to Ryder for some fishing.
Day 3 - Head back toward trailhead. Side trip up to Ostler and Amethyst lakes. Return home.

Would we be over-exerting ourselves trying to fit a visit to all three basins in three days? If we were to narrow down to two basins, which ones would typically have the best balance between crowds, good fishing, and scenery?

Kings Peak
I got to do this for the first time earlier this year but my wife would now like to bag it sometime. Only risk is that the only day we would have to summit could turn out to be too stormy which would result in some disappointment. We're content to wait until late June knowing it would probably be a bit less crowded and the weather likely to be more favorable throughout each day. That's when the group I went with this year went and we had the whole mountain to ourselves.

Day 1 - Head up Henry's Fork and set up camp in middle of basin. Hike out to Henry's Fork Lake and falls, fish, return to camp.
Day 2 - Head up and over Gunsight Pass and summit Kings Peak. Return to camp, pick up and move camp to Dollar Lake area. Fish.
Day 3 - Head back home.

Alaska Basin (Teton Wilderness)
Based on pics and videos I've seen of this area, I really, really want to get up here. My fear is that 3 days and 2 nights would not be nearly enough time and would only tease me to the point of driving me crazy until I could get up there again for a week long outing and do the whole Teton Crest. If it would be best to be patient and put this on hold until next year, I will.

Day 1 - Drive up to Teton Canyon Campground TH. Head up to Alaska Basin and set up a base camp.
Day 2 - Day hike Tabletop Mountain and/or Death Canyon Shelf (depending on time and energy levels).
Day 3 - Return to Car. Drive up Darby Canyon and day hike to Wind Cave. Return home.

While it's looking more and more like we'll be committing to Timpanogos for the overnighter, regardless of crowds, I'm still open to other suggestions of nearby Wasatch Front overnight hikes equal in beauty and features. It also provides us the advantage of being real close to home, since this overnighter will be a test to see how all our kids, aged 1 to 6, will do with my wife and I being away. Assuming that goes well, we'll be making plans for the two-nighter to follow a couple weeks later.

I would really appreciate any advice, suggestions, or even other recommendations beyond what I've already listed as options for that trip. Based on the time of year, which of these would be ideal? We're hoping to avoid the bigger crowds by going in the middle of the week. We don't mind seeing a couple people here and there, but still want to have ample campsites to choose from that will be open, comfortable, and spaced away from others. My wife also loves rainstorms, so she'll be just as happy sitting out a storm and relaxing in a tent for an afternoon as she would be doing anything else. In fact, she may even be disappointed if we don't get one, so the Uintas become more appealing with that in mind. Whatever we end up choosing, the other areas and itineraries will certainly be bumped onto a list to try and fit in through the summer of next year.

Choices choices choices!

If I had to choose the top 2 for your time frame, I'd say it's a toss up between 1) Ostler/Amethyst* (if you do Ostler Peak) and 2) Stillwater Basins (bag Hayden!). I like that you want to bag a peak. To me that makes a backpacking trip more enjoyable.

Naturalist Basin is cool. I love Jordan Lake and hiking up the falls on the northwest side. I prefer camping at Jordan because you're still in trees. Fishing always seems to be decent at Jordan. Agassiz is totally doable via Blue Lake (summit ridge looks like this). I don't remember any crazy scrambling. Maybe a few class 3 spots. Hayden Peak is a blast but I did it from Middle Basin. It's more of a scramble than Agassiz and getting to the ridge is a chore. But it's a rewarding summit. Haven't done Spread Eagle but looks doable from above Faxon.

Stillwater Basins are gorgeous. I found the fishing to be tough there (lures). You could bag Hayden from above Ryder. A side trip to Amethyst would be a lot if you were to try to check out all 3 basins (Middle, West, Amethyst).

*Infact, that would be another suggestion. JUST do Amethyst Basin. Hit the smaller lakes on the way up, camp at Oslter, bag Ostler Peak (I thought it was pretty awesome), and check out Amethyst Lake . (See our gps track).

Ibantik looks cool and is on my to-do list. Maybe more popular cause it's a bit closer to the road?

I'd probably choose any of the above over Kings and Alaska Basin. You've done King's already...and Alaska Basin didn't really do it for me (went in in late September though...so it was pretty dry and dead). Plus it'd be a lot more of a drive compared to the Uintas stuff.

Let us know what you decide.

Mike

Don't waste your 3 day-er on Notch/Ibantik! It's short, extremely popular, & pretty accessible. Do it on an overnigher some other time. Get to something more remote!

Timp is an excellent choice for an overnighter. I'd love to squeeze that one in this year. I guess we'll see.:) Lake Blanche is also a beautiful place to spend the night. Sunsets up there are amazing!

I definitely think trying to squeeze in all three Stillwater Basins in three days is too much. If you want to do two it would probably be easiest to do Middle and West Basins and save Amethyst for another trip.

A two nighter would also be great for exploring West Fork Blacks Fork. You could even do Prior and Norice Lakes one night, backtrack to the trail junction (or scramble over the pass between basins which is apparently possible), and spend the second night at Allsop Lake. I would second the suggestion of saving the Notch Mountain trail for an overnight trip.

I was really impressed with Amethyst lake/basin. Much more scenic than the Kings peak treks I've done.

I also agree with what the others have said about Notch...As for the 3 basins: I have been to both Amethyst and Middle Basins and I think that both of them are best enjoyed with at least 2 days to explore. Both basins are pretty big and full of lakes with some pretty good fishing, a couple of nice peaks to bag, I like to set a base camp in either of those basins and enjoy the fishing, peak bagging, photo taking, relaxing rather than spending a lot of time moving camp. The nice thing is you have lots of good options so you really can't make a bad choice.

Hey Im new to this board but thought Id share our recent trip (as in we are here now into the Uintas. I think you would have a great time doing some backcountry camping at Amethyst Lake area. I did this hike just yesterday (day only) and it's an easy hike and very scenic. The fishing in Christmas Meadows (Bear RIver) which borders the trail most of the way is great (my husband caught 15 w dry flies in about 2 hours). There is great fishing at Amethyst Lake as well. THere were MANY nice campsites off the trail (but far enough from the stream) before you get to the fork for Amethyst/Kermesh. You could camp down at one of these spots and do Amethyst one day and then hike onto Ryder the next day.

We've also been doing some off road riding in the Stillwater Basin area (W Black Fork/Lyman Lake/Bear River) area and there are many, many, many secluded sites off these trails. We've ridden over 40 miles each day we've been out and never been on the same trail once (with the exception of coming in and out). THere are folks with RVs and Popups that just have random backcountry sites and dont worrry about the noise from ATVs as there are so many trails people pass thru and thats it, plus the sites are well away from the trails. It really is a gorgeous area and the weather is perfect...slight drizzles to afternoon showers, hitting about mid 40s-50s at night.

If you are in need of supplies in the area (or want to "bathe") the Bear River Cabins offer a store and Hot Tub/Heated Pool for a daily fee. THey also rent the ATVs etc.
It is a really great trip. The crowds are heavy right now towards Bald Mountain area (Mirror, Trial, Moosehorn) so just head farther north and you will find perfect solitude.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Thanks for the insights, all. Looks like we're now leaning toward Stillwater, most likely a base camp in Middle Basin at Ryder Lake and then make an attempt at Agassiz. If we're lucky, the site at that little lake next to Ryder that Nick stayed at, as shown in his TR for the area, will be available. My wife's family actually has a cabin a few miles north of Christmas Meadows and every time we drive down the road and see the turn off for Christmas Meadows, I say to myself, we need to get up there sometime. I think we'll take the opportunity to do so with the latter mid-August trip. Perhaps I'll get to squeeze in an overnighter over the Notch or up in Naturalist Basin at the end of the month.

As for fishing, I really need to get myself a fly reel and learn the technique for that. Looks a lot more fun than standard spin reels & bubbles I've grown up with, although I've still had great success with those on previous excursions in the Uintas.

I was thinking about doing a day hike with my wife to Hell Hole Lake. I see that there is a new-ish road near there which goes to a drilling pad. Does anyone know if there is a trailhead on this new road? Clearly all the books and TR's I've read about this hike were written before this new road was built. Any instructions would be appreciated.

I would think you would just go up Christmas Meadows Road then take a right onto FR 306 and follow that all the way up to the trailhead. I'm not sure of any new road or TH that would get you closer than that, but I'll be in the area next week when I head up for Ryder.

I think my problem is that I haven't been there before and that FR 306 has been extended since some of the books and topo maps were printed. So a lot of the books and topo maps suggest that the best way is to start from the jeep track coming off 150. I think this must be 11 year old info. They also show FR 306 as being pretty short. When I look at the satellite pictures now it is much longer than the topo shows. So I have not seen that TH off FR 306 where you mention. But I am guessing that you are right and that it is easy to find. Maybe you didn't realize it but if you stay on FR 306 to the end it ends at an oil drilling pad. This was done around 2003 I think. Here is a history:
http://www.hupc.org/Archive/newsletters/February 2007/holea.htm

Ahh. That must be what I thought was a TH then. I was looking on the sale imagery as well and it looked like a TH rather than an oil pad. I suppose you could still drive up as you can and park on the side of the road if you can't get all the way to the pad and then go cross country to the trail from there, assuming the terrain let's you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

My wife's family actually has a cabin a few miles north of Christmas Meadows and every time we drive down the road and see the turn off for Christmas Meadows, I say to myself, we need to get up there sometime.

Uintalands or Manorlands, by chance? My parents have land in Uintalands and it makes a great jumping-off point for north slope trails.

So I found out the hard way that FR 306 is closed to the public and only open to the oil drilling people. So your choice to hike to Hell Hole Lake is to park at the locked gate on FR 306 which is just a couple hundred yards from the Christmas Meadows Road, or you can park at a sort of trailhead which is just across from the Gold Hill Road on the Mirror Lake Highway. We did the latter. Even then, you have to cross two streams, walk through some boggy marsh, then not lose the faint trail which eventually puts you onto FR 306 anyway. Then you have to hike on FR 306 for about 2 miles before you get to what I would call the actual TH. So when the trail leaves FR 306 not too far from the oil pad, there is a register which to me is what a TH looks like. You just have to walk on a road for 2 miles and cross a few streams to even get to there.

Uintalands or Manorlands, by chance? My parents have land in Uintalands and it makes a great jumping-off point for north slope trails.

I want to say Manorlands area. All I know is we turn off the highway onto Lancer Lane, go through a locked gate, and continue up the dirt road a little way up and over a hill, just a bit up from Mill Creek.