Adventures abroad

pinecone

I used to be a travel channel junkie but now it seems it is mostly about the food on there. Anyway I saw the movie "The Way" and loved it and have been dying to do a trek like Ireland coast to coast or the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. Anyone ever done any awesome overseas backpacking? Or have any good hiking movie recommendations?

Not backpacking but have done some hiking in El Yunque National Rainforest Puerto Rico! Some off the beaten path and some on!

I did a backpacking trip to New Zealand this year...that was incredible.

Aldaron, that does sound incredible! I need to see more of the world!

I watched The Way and began looking into traveling on El Camino De Santiago and found this http://francistapon.com/Travels/Spain-Trails/10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks It made me laugh but also made me realize it's probably not the sort of trip I'd want to take.

I found this blog a couple years ago and it makes me yearn to go back to Russia and hike http://kidsuperhiker.com/?p=1167 however I've heard it's quite difficult to get permits ( I can only imagine since even applying for a Visa isn't easy). So mainly I guess I'd like to explore the Causcus Mountain area.

I went to Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, and Czech Republic this last July with my wife. We took only our 40liter Kelty backpacks, stayed mostly in hostels. The only "hiking" we really got to do was the Neushwanstein castle in the alps. It was incredible. I've started uploading a few of the highlights to flickr recently.

I did the 2nd tallest mountain in Japan when I was there --Ishizuchisan (Stone Hammer). It was pretty awesome because the last 1/3 of the hike is up some vertical chains on the mountainside. It was rainy and foggy, not a great view from the top, but the greenery and the fog made it very mystical.

I also did a cool hike when I was in Israel in the northern Galilee area where we descended a series of waterfalls hanging on to chains bolted on the rock walls (non-technical). I want to revisit that area. There is a canyoneering company there called Q-terra that I see albums from on Facebook all the time, great photos of all the desert canyons there.

As far as long-haul hikes, I'm interested in:

The Abraham Path--Turkey to Israel--1200 kilometers
The Canterbury Trail--120 miles
St. Cuthberts way / Northern Cross (U.K.)--62 miles
SAints Way / cornwall county--30 miles

No backpacking - but as you know, about 10 years ago, I along with my girlfriend at the time took some time down in Guatemala, Belize and Honduras. LOVED my time down there, and if I could ever get enough time (2-3 weeks minimum, better to have 1 month plus), I'd head down there in a heartbeat again. If I had less than 2 weeks, I'm not sure I'd head down due to length of time it takes to travel place to place, but it is fantastic.

Annie and I are looking into a trip from Mexico to Cuba here in the next couple of years. Really excited about that.

Not me, but I know Dan and lostlandscapes have done some stuff in Asia and I've been hoping colefeet would post a trip report from her trek through Patagonia.
ah, i have many trip reports from patagonia, all written and ready to post. on my blog. which isn't up. maybe you can( Nick) help me figure out how to do that easily (the blog is stored on my computer) as i don't want to have to dig through 5,000 photos :(

I used to be a travel channel junkie but now it seems it is mostly about the food on there. Anyway I saw the movie "The Way" and loved it and have been dying to do a trek like Ireland coast to coast or the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. Anyone ever done any awesome overseas backpacking? Or have any good hiking movie recommendations?

Hi Pinecone: I have been to Ireland but not backpacking. A wonderful place. Driving there can be frightful, wrong side of the car, wrong side of the road and really narrow twisty roads. But one of the best trips I have been on. They have great mass transit. Many people cycle tour there. I too was hoping to do that but after seeing the width of roads may not. The friendliest people around. Simply splendid(as they say).Only rained once in 2.5 weeks. Went with B&B which was a nice way to travel. Not too expensive, quaint and enough food to keep ya going until dinner. Pints of Guinness everywhere, smoke free pubs. Below is a picture from that trip, it is the beach from the movie Ryans Daughter.

Attachments

• 100_0180_1.jpg
    100_0180_1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 33