Adventure Journal

Vegan.Hiker

Wasn't quite sure where to put this thread. Didn't quite fit into "Gear Reviews" or "Photography".

Whenever I pass through New Paltz, NY, I always stop at a great outdoors store called Rock and Snow

Anyways, last weekend, I stopped there on my way to a cabin trip up in the Adirondacks. I picked up Issue no. 1 of something called "Adventure Journal". I had never heard of it but it looked interesting and I'm always looking for a good read. Aside from a few forays out into the snow with Lucy, a highlight of that trip included sitting near the fireplace and reading this thing from cover to cover. I even stuck my nose back in it several times to reread a few essays.

Has anyone picked this thing up? It's phenomenal and I can't help but think that anyone who loves BCP would love it too. It's a mix of essays, journalism, photography, literature, natural history, environmental science, and it all drips with the addiction for outdoor adventure I know we all share.

While I enjoyed the original content, I also appreciated the 1941 classic essay "Once More to the Lake" by E.B. White. I even picked up a good recipe for homemade backpacking ramen.

After getting lost in this thing, I ponied up the money to subscribe. It comes out quarterly and a subscription is $60 per year. Next issue (issue 4) comes out in May. I ordered issues 2 and 3 (already published) but haven't received them yet. I thought $60 was a fair price based on the quality of the content and also the physical quality. It's printed on thick quality paper throughout, the cover is pretty much cardboard, and it was packed with great photography. My only wish is that they would use glossy instead of matte paper on the inside. Hopefully they'll keep it up and the rest will be as good as issue 1.

Anyways, I highly recommend it so far.

Here are a few pics I took of it...

IMG_4358.JPG

IMG_4359.JPG

IMG_4360.JPG

IMG_4361.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

Last edited:
That looks like good fireside reading. It looks similar to a publication we have here in the UK called Sidetracked Magazine. It contains a lot of good hiking, biking and general adventure articles for when you can't get outside yourself....

20icab8.jpg

28jy8wh.jpg

2modwfd.jpg

sidetracked-magazine-5.jpg

So very cool. In this world of screentime its nice to see some old fashioned pulp put to exquisite use.

A good friend of mine here in Jackson still writes for The Alpinist on occasion.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
scatman Rockskipper's Big Adventure Backpacking 8
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Desertratgal 3-Day Rattlesnake Arches Area Adventure Backpacking 4
Mormadmom New and looking for an adventure Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
kwc A Frosty Snowshoeing Adventure in the Southern Adirondacks Winter Sports 0
Perry My First Overnight Ski Touring Adventure Winter Sports 3
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
Mike K Tires For Older Truck (Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure?) Gear 12
Scott Chandler Adventure Vehicle Opinions Gear 18
balzaccom A Southwest Adventure Hiking & Camping 3
Perry Mt Timpanogos - Hartsky Loop Day Adventure Hiking & Camping 13
Jimmy Baker Lake, Lake Diablo, North Cascades, Olympics Family Adventure Hiking & Camping 8
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
AbinadiWitness Colorado Adventure 2016: To the Grenadiers! Backpacking 9
o2bav8 Kayak Adventure on Glen Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
WasatchWill Backyard Igloo Adventure General Discussion 2
Jen High Uintas Quintuple Pass backpacking adventure Backpacking 15
b.stark A Grand Adventure-Grand Canyon 2016 Backpacking 7
powderglut 1981 Hole In The Rock Canoe Adventure On The Water 24
swmalone Perry Canyon Trail Run and Adventure Everything Else 3
Blake Merrell Kayaking Lone Rock Canyon: Another beUTAHful adventure! On The Water 8
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 3 - Mountain Biking the laSal's Everything Else 8
Blake Merrell High Adventure 2015 - Day 1 - Canyoneering Double Arch Canyon Canyoneering 2
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 2 - Kayaking the Green River On The Water 10
Blake Merrell Slate Canyon Loop: A local Backpacking Adventure! Backpacking 20
steve Invite Urban Adventure - floating the Jordan River this Sat, 3.21.15 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
Vegan.Hiker Great article about a fellow adventure seeker General Discussion 4
ram Cove Canyon-A 4 day Grand Canyon Adventure 2/8-11/15 Canyoneering 17
elkaholic It’s that time of year again...Planning for the Scouts High Adventure General Discussion 3
Dave B. Uintas Epic Adventure Trip Planning 5
Vegan.Hiker My Cross Country Weekend Adventure in Utah Hiking & Camping 17
jdgibney Southwest Adventure - Oct 2012 Part 1 Hiking & Camping 2
Cairn you dig it? first utah backpack adventure... suggestions? Trip Planning 7
JoanieBelle Solo Utah Adventure Trip Planning 8
Michael Wire Pass to Lee's Ferry - 4 days adventure and fun (May 2012) Backpacking 25
Nick BCP wins 'Best Adventure Blog'! General Discussion 16
V May Maze Adventure! Trip Planning 3
A Invite August Adventure CO/UT/CA/AZ Meet Up (Members Only) 10
BobFink Recreation.Gov article in Wall Street Journal General Discussion 12