Adobe Photoshop Photography Program Announcement

Magic_Hour

ryancaryphoto.com
For those of you like me that like to dabble in Photoshop for editing or use Lightroom for organization, Adobe's new Creative Cloud may have come as quite a shock to your system. For those not aware of the change, a few months ago Adobe announced that they will no longer be selling Photoshop as a boxed version, instead they announced that they would only be selling it as part of their Creative Cloud program. In a nutshell this meant that you either have to sign up for the entire Creative Cloud Suite, for 49.99/mo or purchase a subscription to a single program for 19.99/mo.

The benefits and drawbacks of this new system are of course debatable, on the one hand with the subscription service you get automatic updates meaning no more buying new software, on the other hand, if you use Photoshop and Lightroom it would require purchasing two single program subscriptions at a rather hefty price of $40/mo. For those fully involved in the digital world, requiring access to more Adobe programs, the full subscription at $49.99/mo. may be the better route.

None the less, the photography community backlashed at this announcement from day one as can be seen and heard across many different forums and podcasts. The main criticism was the fact that it seemed that photographers were being given the short end of the stick considering the majority of Adobe-centric photographers still would only require the use of two programs, Photoshop and Lightroom, and again the $40/mo. in order to use these two programs seemed quite steep. It seems that Adobe has answered this concern with what seems to me to be a pretty good deal for any photographer currently using Photoshop and Lightroom.

At the 2013 Photoshop World Conference in Las Vegas Adobe has announced a new program to address the concerns of photographers upset by the change to Adobe Creative Cloud. They have announced that beginning on September 16th they will introduce what is going to be called the Photoshop Photography Program for $9.99/mo. The announcement from Adobe on their blog states that the program will give the subscriber access to Photoshop Creative Cloud, Lightroom 5, 20GB of Online Storage, Behance Prosite, Creative Cloud's Learn Training Resources, and upgrades and updates for all accessible programs. The blog post from Adobe can be seen in it's entirety on the Adobe Website here. One caveat to the announcement that I have found is that it seems this offer will only be available until the end of the year.

Overall I would say that this seems like a much more affordable and fair option for the photographer that is only using Photoshop and/or Lightroom and doesn't need the full suite of Creative Cloud programs.

Thought I would pass this information on since I happened to stumble across it while cruising the net, hope you find it as helpful as I did.

Even at a temporary, cheap intro, this online only thing sure deepens my dislike of Adobe as a company. I like LR, but can't stand the company. Here's to the day I have a different choice. I am hoping and planning on dropping them. Pretty sad considering that I like their software. I hope someone moves in like pinterest, tumblr, instagram, snapchat, etc suddenly moved in on facebook's 100% domination. Here's to the BCPost RAW editor that Nick is undoubtedly writing as I type this.

I have to revive this thread and ask how some of you Creative Cloud members are feeling about it......or.....actually i don't know if any of you are CC members or not. Anyway,.....just in case...... I have been watching reviews very closely and it seems to me that about 30% love it, 20% are indifferent, and 50% hate it. Also, those that signed up for the intro offer of 1 year at $19/month for the full cloud at ....um say....the student rate, are now in the auto-renew time frame and are now at $50/month. Adobe ended up giving LR and PS only for $10/month as originally explained in this post but it requires having PS already. I would guess most of you that have it have that option. ??

Well, do you like it??

I hate Adobe for making the best software for the job and charging me out the arse for it. With that said, if all I needed was Lightroom and Photoshop, I'd be pretty happy to only pay $10 per month for it. As it is, I have to have Illustrator and Premiere for work so I'm stuck with the $50/month plan. Unfortunately, even if a competitor came along, I couldn't leave Adobe behind because I have to have the latest versions to be able to use the files from my clients. I hate you Adobe.

I only use Photoshop, so I have the $10/month program and have no complaints. It's actually a little cheaper than it was to buy the full version every 2 years or so.

I just went to cancel my Creative Cloud that I pay $50 per month for (they make that hard to do, BTW). It turns out that bargain of a price actually came with some sort of BS contract that I unknowingly agreed to and it would otherwise cost $75 per month!! They are now trying to charge me a hefty early cancellation fee ($133 for 5 months early). If you want to cancel anywhere outside of your original start date, they apparently wrote up some contractual garbage that makes them get to do that. I am having a really hard time keeping my language family friendly right now.

I HATE ADOBE. :mad:

I only use PS and LR from CC. Premiere would be nice but for occasionally use I'm not willing to pay more.

FWIW, they did eventually decide to wave the cancellation fee. They also tried like crazy to get me to stay. First by offering me one free month, then two, then a full year back at $29. Something to consider for anyone who might be on the $50 plan right now. Call and act like you're quitting. Who would have thought that software and your cable provider would end up having so much in common. :facepalm: