Adobe Lightroom 4 now available!

I tried out LR3 a little here and there and just haven't figured out why I need it over CS5 yet. Maybe I am missing something. I am interest in LR4 just to see what it can do with color correction on video. I use Corel Videostudio Pro X4 and don't like its video corrections much.

Don't feel bad, I've tried to move over to Lightroom a few times and always abandon it. I'm just more comfortable in Bridge - Photoshop since that's where I started. Plus I use layers for blending frequently.....and I use the Levels and Curves adjustment layers extensively...and LR just does not have a good comparable tool.

LR is a RAW editor and after using it I find using the RAW editor in CS5 to be very cumbersome and missing oddles of features.
theres also...
catalog management
batch processing (great for star trails)
superior sharpening
superior noise reduction
improved work flow
blah blah blah

See, I prefer Adobe CameraRAW, but that's probably because I've been using it since I started. It uses the same RAW processing software as LR so the noise and sharpening are the same. Batch processing can easily be done with Bridge & CameraRAW....it's just different from LR.

I don't have a problem with LR....I'm just more comfortable with PS.....just a matter of preferance.

I tried out LR3 a little here and there and just haven't figured out why I need it over CS5 yet. Maybe I am missing something. I am interest in LR4 just to see what it can do with color correction on video. I use Corel Videostudio Pro X4 and don't like its video corrections much.

I switched to Lightroom a few years back because of my portrait/wedding photography business and I'm so glad I did because I use it for everything now. Lightroom allows you to edit a bunch of pictures so much faster than Photoshop. I use Lightroom about 98% of the time now and Photoshop only when I need to do some heavy cloning. One awesome thing I love about Lightroom are the Presets. They are basically like Photoshop Actions but they happen instantly instead of waiting for Photoshop to run the Action and there are literally tons out there that you can download or you can create your own in Lightroom. There is also a preview screen in Lightroom so you can scroll down your list of Presets and see what each one will make your photo look like. In Lightroom you can create multiple "virtual copies" of your image and then edit each one differently and export/create a jpeg out of each one without changing the original RAW file and without having to open and close the original picture. Lightroom also has a Slideshow module that I use to make my timelapse videos. I have templates for 15fps, 24fps & 30fps all at the click of a button. So I can batch edit my pictures in Lightroom and then make a timelapse with them all in the same program. There is an awesome program I use in conjunction with Lightroom that's called LR Timelapse. It allows you to edit the first picture of your timelapse, edit the last picture in your timelapse, and then it will gradually edit each picture so that there is a smooth flow to the editing. This works great when shooting a timelapse where the lighting changes a lot from the first picture to the last, like for isntance a sunset. You can also use this method to incorporate panning/zooming in your timelapse by cropping your first image where you want the panning/zooming to start and the last image where you want the panning/zooming to end. Overall Lightroom in my opinion is a far quicker and more efficient way to edit your photos. And like Summit said, if you need to do something in Photoshop the programs are linked so you just export it, Photoshop it, and then it transfers the image back into Lightroom.

and LR just does not have a good comparable tool.

actually it has two

I do a lot of layering in cs5 but again.. right click, edit in cs5, save, and back to LR. Let me just sum it up and say that I feel that CS5 is for graphic design and LR is for photography.

youre right Randy, to each his own. :twothumbs: