Accident in Kanarra Creek

Nick

-
I noticed MTN_DUDE posted something about this happening earlier today on Facebook. Much like that other SAR thread recently posted, the information available leaves more questions than answers. The report says he fell sixty feet at Kanarraville Falls. Sounds like he must have been up on the rim or something and not on the standard route? Hope he's alright.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56316557-78/amp-falls-kanarraville-com.html.csp

A teenager fell about 60 feet into a canyon at Kanarraville Falls just before 2 p.m. Wednesday, according to the Iron County Sheriff’s Office.

Early reports indicated the victim is a 16-year-old boy. Dispatchers did not know the extent of his injuries.

Sheriff’s deputies, firefighters, paramedics and a medical helicopter were called to the scene as authorities worked to determine exactly what happened at the falls.

No further information was immediately available. An investigation is underway.

Kanarraville Falls is located 16 miles southwest of Cedar City and is outside the town of Kanarraville.

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
I saw the boys hiking in this afternoon when I was on my way back to my car.
Sad thing. Most of them had improper footwear. They noticed my Five Ten Canyoneers and really wished they had a pair of these.
I basically left half an hour before the accident.

I heard they recovered the boy and he had some serious leg injuries from the fall.

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
The kid, a 16-year-old from Vegas, was part of a group from a wilderness program. He scrambled up a sandstone pitch to find the source of a seep, lost his balance and slid about 50 feet. Sounded like he was scraped up and might have broken an ankle and possibly some ribs. Reports I heard were that helicopters were having difficulty getting near the spot because of the terrain.

He was not on the rim and did not free-fall that distance.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
zionsky My Accident Story General Discussion 20
LarryBoy Fatal Accident on Olympus General Discussion 2
Nick Moab Base Jumping Accident - The Aftermath General Discussion 5
jdgibney Kanarra Creek Currently? Trip Planning 0
andyjaggy Invite Kanarra Creek Meet Up (Members Only) 20
Tyler Kanarra Creek (short hike) 05.10.11 Hiking & Camping 0
Nick Kanarra Creek Hiking & Camping 5
SteveR Bull Creek Hills, Alberta Hiking & Camping 5
T Salt Creek this weekend Trip Planning 1
TeamJenkins17 Red Tops/Needle Creek Drainage Info Trip Planning 0
M Kannah Creek Basin loop, Grand Junction CO Backpacking 6
Anthony Montezuma Creek Rd Trip Planning 1
The Trout Whisperer Non kilt wearin’ version of th Gneiss Creek Expedition part 3… Backpacking 0
The Trout Whisperer Non kilt wearin’ version of th Gneiss Creek trip, part 2, Backpacking 4
The Trout Whisperer Non kilt wearin’ version of th Gneiss Creek Expedition part 1 Backpacking 4
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek, Oct. 2021 Backpacking 8
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 8
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake, Ouzel Creek, and Three Rivers Junction -- September 13-16 2021 Backpacking 62
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek conditions/water Trip Planning 0
scatman Gneiss Creek Part 2 - Yellowstone National Park - September 18, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
wsp_scott Honey Creek (Big South Fork) Backpacking 9
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
TractorDoc Off Trail to Yellowstone's Aster Lake and Upper Witch Creek -- September 13, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Gneiss Creek - Yellowstone National Park - September 8, 2021 Backpacking 20
Bob Sand Creek Fire - Wind Rivers General Discussion 0
WasatchWill Halls Creek: Version 2.0 Backpacking 9
seaview53 Sawtooth trip planning. Iron Creek to Tin Cup Trip Planning 4
regehr Fox Creek, Teton Range Hiking & Camping 19
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
Udink Salt Creek and the Birdcage Panel Hiking & Camping 7
napatony13 SEEKING KANAB CREEK ADVICE Trip Planning 3
Bob Slough Creek Views Trip Reports 14
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
futurafree Muddy Creek and Kane/Bullet Trip Planning 10
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
regehr Millers Creek General Discussion 0
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
Lowro Tourist Creek, WRR Trip Planning 12
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Trip Planning 6
Miya Beach Backpacking and Creek Bed Sleeping Backpacking 29
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
scatman Cache Creek, Yellowstone National Park - September 10, 2020 Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Sequoia National Park just before the Creek Fire Backpacking 6
P Salt Creek water Backpacking 2
Arizona Jones Wet Beaver Creek Arizona, Backpack Trip Backpacking 8