A weekend in the Uintas

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
A weekend in the High Uintas, June 2018

One of my best friends was getting married in the Uintas end of June and invited me to attend her wedding. So I decided to add a few extra days and do some day hikes while I was up there. It's been a while since I have hiked in the Uintas and I was pretty excited to be back again.
From Southern Utah, it is quite the drive to get there but I was in no hurry and enjoyed the drive up north.

i-v9CZkpm-XL.jpg

i-ZN28jvd-XL.jpg

I decided to do the hike up to Bald Mountain since it was still early in the afternoon. This would be a nice leg burner and I was excited about the views from the top. The trailhead parking was not super busy and I got my pack ready. The trail started at about 10,700ft and immediately started to climb upwards. After a while, I reached a plateau and views were great up from there.

i-G4h6Gr6-XL.jpg

i-GvWQd4G-XL.jpg

i-49nNkrb-XL.jpg

Bald Mountain Pass and Murdock Mountain

There were a few wildflowers and I also saw a pika collecting them for food. Past the plateau, the trail started to climb up again.

i-LPwVwpJ-XL.jpg

i-kvx3hcr-XL.jpg

i-QDQPbQQ-XL.jpg

Reids Peak

There was a bit of boulder hopping involved at the very last part but it wasn't too bad. I soon reached the summit and enjoyed the views from more than 11,800ft. It was pretty windy and very hazy due to some wildfires but it was still a great view from top.

i-FrkxKnj-XL.jpg

i-dSRjQxL-XL.jpg

i-tDTcbkd-XL.jpg

almost on top

i-9j9bWbV-XL.jpg

i-BpQhr92-XL.jpg

The hike back to the trailhead didn't last too long and I reached my reserved campsite at Stillwater campground before sunset where I set up camp.
The next morning I decided to do the Lofty Lakes Loop. It was about 8 miles and had some nice elevation changes along the loop. I started pretty early and was the first car at the trailhead. The first part of the hike went through a forest of fir trees and spruces before the trail went to a meadow.

i-NwznJkj-XL.jpg
i-Tv3BkNZ-XL.jpg

The meadow offered amazing views to Bald Mountain and Reads Peak with reflections in some small tarns.

i-3bXbvtb-XL.jpg

i-LwCVdWH-XL.jpg

There were also a lot of wildflowers everywhere. I loved the view while I continued the trail. After about a quarter of a while the trail split and I took the detour to Cuberant Lake. There was some elevation gain before the trail dropped down again and the views were really great.

i-VDrT8bZ-XL.jpg

Elephant Head

i-q73qMQK-XL.jpg

i-qHZ349P-XL.jpg

i-PcwSqH4-XL.jpg

i-7gC4gLZ-XL.jpg

I reached the lake and enjoyed the solitude.

i-VcS24xB-XL.jpg

Cuberant Lake

Back at the main trail, I continued to Kamas Lake where I had a little snack break.

i-DgbvGpf-XL.jpg

After I left the lake, the trail gained elevation again. On top of the plateau, there were amazing views towards the Hayden Fork drainage and Bear River with all its lakes. Definitely worth the hike.

i-v9dphgP-XL.jpg

i-P6dfFcg-XL.jpg

i-W9Zpb7p-XL.jpg

i-Rpzfdf8-XL.jpg

The trail continued from here to Lofty Lake.

i-bPXwkcB-XL.jpg

Lofty Lake

I passed the lake and continued to descend down the rocky path towards Scout Lake and further to Picturesque Lake. I had to stop several times to delve into the mountain scenery. It was gorgeous. A lot of wildflowers everywhere and great spots for little breaks. This was definitely an enjoyable hike for sure.

i-2xFRTRF-XL.jpg

i-64gzjkT-XL.jpg

i-Qmd3ZN5-XL.jpg

From Picturesque Lake it was only about a mile back to the trailhead.
Since it was still early in the day I decided to do the short hike to Ruth Lake, one of the most popular lakes.
The little hike to the lake didn't take too long but the views along the way were so gorgeous I had to stop all the time.

i-vJsBpHT-XL.jpg

i-3VR7PNZ-XL.jpg

i-GhcjhpT-XL.jpg

I reached the lake and walked along its shore with meadows of wildflowers and beautiful views. This was a really great little hike and I enjoyed it a lot.

i-P3Tbbt6-XL.jpg

i-FfqwWkn-XL.jpg

i-zwPrQRq-XL.jpg

i-Mnd6D86-XL.jpg

i-KJ73Qfs-XL.jpg

This was definitely a great trip to the mountains and I was pretty sure that I wanted to go back very soon again. I just wished I had another day so I could hike a bit more.
The Uintas were for sure a great get away from the heat in Southern Utah with the wildflowers as a beautiful extra.

Beautiful photos, I love the photos from the lake with the wild flowers- and you!. Thanks for sharing. Are you going to catch up now on TR, like @Nick ? I'm looking forward to it....

I guess those views are kind of ok :)

Looks like a very nice couple of days, I really like the photo just below "I reached the lake and walked along its shore with meadows of wildflowers and beautiful views." Awesome combo of flowers, mountains and water

I guess those views are kind of ok :)

Looks like a very nice couple of days, I really like the photo just below "I reached the lake and walked along its shore with meadows of wildflowers and beautiful views." Awesome combo of flowers, mountains and water

yeah, the wildflowers were something and I liked the little spot I was at. Most parts of the lake were pretty busy but I liked ending up with my little nook of solitude

My wife and I did an interesting relay type backpacking trip through this area this last summer. That'll be my next TR to come soon. Beautiful pics!

Awesome! I was in both areas in June! I went to Teal Lake early June, and Cuberant Basin towards the end of June. Love the flowers! Makes me miss the Uintas.

My wife and I did an interesting relay type backpacking trip through this area this last summer. That'll be my next TR to come soon. Beautiful pics!

I always love your trip reports. Can't wait to read about it
Awesome! I was in both areas in June! I went to Teal Lake early June, and Cuberant Basin towards the end of June. Love the flowers! Makes me miss the Uintas.

I explored the area the last weekend in June and I loved all the wildflowers. They always make me happy

Awesome photos!

You perfectly captured the unique beauty of the Uinitas that
so many of us love.

Thanks!

Beautiful share as always!
Always advantageous to add hiking to a trip meant for something else. Haha, hope the wedding was nice too!