A Southwest Adventure

balzaccom

Last year we had spent about three weeks traveling around Utah and Colorado, and we enjoyed it so much we spent another three weeks there this year, and added in some time in New Mexico and Arizona as well.

The itinerary took us South to Barstow, then East to Valley of Fire and Snow Canyon State Parks, then a few days at Zion to hike what we had missed last year. Then Page, Lees Ferry, and Second Mesa, followed by a few days in Chaco Canyon. That was amazing. Then back to Mesa Verde and Hovenweep to see what we had missed last time, and a visit to Canyons of the Ancients and the Needles District of Canyonlands, since last year we only saw the Islands in the Sky section.

And to wrap it up, we went back through Blanding and Edge of the Cedars, Natural Bridges to hike the canyon, Torrey, and then a great day and a half at Fremont Indian State Park.

It was a great trip. we managed about a hundred miles of hiking, despite my wife's aching heel, and all but two nights were spent sleeping in Le Vin Blanc, our Ford E-350. Saw more petroglyphs and pictographs than we could count---and far more than we had seen last time. And the ruins at Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde, Aztec, and Hovenweep were absolutely stunning.

But there were also some less famous places that knocked us out. Coal Mine Canyon in Arizona. Fremont Indian State Park. Valley of Fire. Lost City Museum in Overton NV. Who knew?

So yeah, we saw almost everything on our list. But now we have a new list of cool things that we missed this time. Next year...

photos and more details trip logs are on our website. Here's the link to part one:

https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home/our-blog/southwesttrippartibarstowtoleesferry

Looks like a Nice trip... Did you stop by keet seel ruins ... They are nice

Nice ! There is never enough time in that SW area, right? It's addictive and your trips might just get longer :)
VoF also exceeded our expectations, a year ago in February we spent a day alone off trail in just a small section, we couldn't stop taking photos.
Glad you had such a great trip and it's fantastic that your wife is able to do that kind of milage with an aching heel!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jdgibney Southwest Adventure - Oct 2012 Part 1 Hiking & Camping 2
J Hiking Southwest Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Dec. 26-28, 2022 Hiking & Camping 2
balzaccom South by Southwest from Napa Hiking & Camping 4
U greetings from southwest Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
JBPHXAZ Suggestions for 4-5 days Backpacking in the Southwest Trip Planning 2
stevecochranephotography Blue Lakes Trail... Southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness Hiking & Camping 9
balzaccom The Southwest...when you can't really hike Hiking & Camping 7
JDWalters 2 weeks in the Southwest Hiking & Camping 11
balzaccom Southwest for sun Hiking & Camping 5
AKay09 Southwest in April Questions Trip Planning 21
JamesM ASORA-American Southwest Outdoor Recreation Association General Discussion 1
mtthwlw Protect the Southwest. Action is needed before November 16. General Discussion 0
Matt Price A remote week-long trip, Late-may/Early June, Utah or the Southwest Trip Planning 34
jdgibney Quick Southwest trip Jan 14-18 - Looking for suggestions Trip Planning 3
kalaman Our videos of our road trip in the Southwest Photography 2
FourisTheNewOne Early Exploration of the Southwest General Discussion 2
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
scatman Rockskipper's Big Adventure Backpacking 8
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Desertratgal 3-Day Rattlesnake Arches Area Adventure Backpacking 4
Mormadmom New and looking for an adventure Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
kwc A Frosty Snowshoeing Adventure in the Southern Adirondacks Winter Sports 0
Perry My First Overnight Ski Touring Adventure Winter Sports 3
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
Mike K Tires For Older Truck (Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure?) Gear 12
Scott Chandler Adventure Vehicle Opinions Gear 18
Perry Mt Timpanogos - Hartsky Loop Day Adventure Hiking & Camping 13
Jimmy Baker Lake, Lake Diablo, North Cascades, Olympics Family Adventure Hiking & Camping 8
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
AbinadiWitness Colorado Adventure 2016: To the Grenadiers! Backpacking 9
o2bav8 Kayak Adventure on Glen Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
WasatchWill Backyard Igloo Adventure General Discussion 2
Vegan.Hiker Adventure Journal General Discussion 4
Jen High Uintas Quintuple Pass backpacking adventure Backpacking 15
b.stark A Grand Adventure-Grand Canyon 2016 Backpacking 7
powderglut 1981 Hole In The Rock Canoe Adventure On The Water 24
swmalone Perry Canyon Trail Run and Adventure Everything Else 3
Blake Merrell Kayaking Lone Rock Canyon: Another beUTAHful adventure! On The Water 8
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 3 - Mountain Biking the laSal's Everything Else 8
Blake Merrell High Adventure 2015 - Day 1 - Canyoneering Double Arch Canyon Canyoneering 2
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 2 - Kayaking the Green River On The Water 10