A snowy trip into the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness

We were looking to try to escape the snow that is still in the mountains near us. The Blue Mountains usually melt out before our mountains do, but not this year.

The forecast was supposed to be rainy the whole trip. It was raining when we started out, but stopped shortly after we started hiking. As we started climbing we hit snow earlier than I was expecting. We made camp about halfway up the climb to the top of the bluff.

The second day we started hiking our way up and right away we were in the snow. It was slow going, but manageable. We were hoping that once we hit the top, the snow would've melted off, but that was not the case. At that point we decided that we would change our route because we were not going to be able to make the mileage we needed to complete our original route. We decided to try going further west to try to get out of the snow, but it was nothing doing. Everything was choked in by snow. On the 2nd night we ended up camping at the Godman Campsite.

On the 3rd day we worked our way down the drainage, in the snow, to find the Meadow Creek trail. We found a couple different road cuts that we followed, but they kept taking us up out of the drainage. The drainage was starting to get really steep and we were getting a little worried that we could get cliffed out, so we just dropped straight down in to the bottom of the drainage. We finally located the trail and walked out of the snow. It was quite and adventure!

Interesting trip. That area is almost always where I go for a first trip of the year, usually mid-May or so. It's rare to find that much snow there, though I don't know when your trip was. That Panjab-Turkey loop is nice, though it's a bit of a bummer to have so many viewless forest miles at both ends. And Turkey Creek is always muddy and wet. You missed the gorgeous, miles-long ridgetop meadows of Indian Corral, so you do need to go back someday.

I've never hiked that end of Meadow Creek...I avoid it because it's open to ATVs. I really like the Panjab-Rattlesnake loop, but the Rattlesnake end is getting so brushy it's hard to follow and, more and more, even to push through. Gorgeous place.

Interesting trip. That area is almost always where I go for a first trip of the year, usually mid-May or so. It's rare to find that much snow there, though I don't know when your trip was. That Panjab-Turkey loop is nice, though it's a bit of a bummer to have so many viewless forest miles at both ends. And Turkey Creek is always muddy and wet. You missed the gorgeous, miles-long ridgetop meadows of Indian Corral, so you do need to go back someday.

I've never hiked that end of Meadow Creek...I avoid it because it's open to ATVs. I really like the Panjab-Rattlesnake loop, but the Rattlesnake end is getting so brushy it's hard to follow and, more and more, even to push through. Gorgeous place.

This is also our early season destination. I don't know that wilderness very well yet, though I've done a few trips there now. The Panjab-Rattlesnake loop was the first one I did here. There are so many more miles to do there that I'll definitely be back. Probably next spring. :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kwc Snowy Mountain, central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
RyanP Snowy Range (WY) easy backpacking recommendations? Trip Planning 4
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades - Cutthroat/Granite/snowy lakes passes Backpacking 3
Miya Snowy Miracle on The Strip, Oh Yeah and Valley of Fire Everything Else 12
wabenho Snowy December Walk in the Wasatch Hiking & Camping 7
Ugly Snowy Dawn Traverse on Deer Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
Jackson A Slightly Snowy Sawtooths Stroll Backpacking 16
Jackson A Snowy Day in Bell Canyon Hiking & Camping 7
kimbur96 2 nights in Little Brooklyn Hut, Snowy Mountain Range, Wyoming Winter Sports 4
Eugene Backpacking in the Snowy Range Wyoming August 2016 Backpacking 3
ram A Snowy Echo Canyoneering 15
M Yellowstone Mirror Plateau Trip Plan/Advice Trip Planning 6
balzaccom Spring trip to the Desert Hiking & Camping 0
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
balzaccom A civilized trip--on the rivers of Europe On The Water 0
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
P Bighorns (WY) Trip report Backpacking 8
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Kerrie at Thru We Go Packraft Trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Trip Reports 3
Georgia Yankee Can't seem to edit my trip report Questions, Suggestions & Support 4
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
The Trout Whisperer Dad n daughter trip in the very near future… Hiking & Camping 7
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
bouldermtn May/June trip suggestions Trip Planning 0
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Planning an Expedition type trip....... check this list out ..... Trip Planning 13
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 3 - Buckskin Gulch Hiking & Camping 3
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 2 - White Pocket & Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Does knowing the geology of the CO Plateau give practical insight for trip planning? General Discussion 20
TeamJenkins17 Washakie Wilderness Trip Advice Trip Planning 17
Janice Family trip to Grand Teton Memorial Day weekend? Trip Planning 5
Janice Yellowstone - Winter Yurt Trip? Winter Sports 22