A segmented month in the Winds

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

OldBill

Covid permitting, I'll be in the Winds Aug 27-Oct 1.

1st week is solo, after golden trout, probably in the Popo Agie, depending on mid-Aug trip reports.
2nd week is taking my girlfriend and some local hiking friends to Titcomb. (if they don't all cancel due to Covid)
3rd week is GF only.
Week 4-4.5 is with my nephew.
Typical miles = 10-12 entry and exit (high is 22) if on-trail and 5-8 in between, terrain/trail dependent.

For Wk 3 need something with few nights out, maybe out of Lander since that's new to her (we'll dayhike GTNP at the end for 3 days, and see Jade L and 5 Pockets as acclimation hikes for Wk 2)

Wk 4-4.5 the weather is a bigger factor. Planning 2 separate trips vs 1 long one (close to bailout). May rule out crossing the divide. But, my nephew does enjoy a challenge. Titcomb was ok, Over Fall Ck pass to Golden Lakes and back out by Hays/Round Mtn in the wind and sleet for 20 miles in a day was phenomenal. Getting snowed out of Deep Ck lakes after 1 night was disappointing.

Would appreciate comments on some ideas and other suggestions. I've done parts (camped at Rainbow, Native, Lower Deep Ck). Bear hang or Ursack?

Ideas for GF or nephew:
1. Scab Ck TH: Middle Fk Basin area (camps at Rainbow, Bewmark, ?) – 4 days
2. Worthen Meadow: Deep Ck L, Wind River Peak, Stough Ck return – 4 days (best base camp for peak ascent? would like to do without full packs. Stream crossings?)

Ideas for nephew:
1. Green River TH: Roaring Fk to Faler, Daphne & Bear L – 4 days
2. Glacier TH: Horse Ridge off trail from Ink Wells to Glacier Lakes – 6 days
3. Bear Basin (Roaring Fk to Native, fish Native, Faler, via Crescent? to Daphne camp. Dayhike to Bear, Rocking Horse. (11K too cold for late Sept? Not a place to get stuck in a big snow) - 5 days
4. Big Sandy TH: East Fk dayhike from camp at Skull, move camp to Shadow, over Texas to Cirque, back via Jackass) - 4 days
5. Repeat trip to Golden Lakes, continue to Bull Lake Ck for goldens, see the Fortress - 6 days

Last edited:

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

OldBill

Learned that Lander has been a hot spot for COVID so that may rule out those options. Usually stay at a motel before and after. Not sure how good mask and distancing rules are being enforced.

Not sure how good mask and distancing rules are being enforced.
In my experience, not very well at all.

In all my trips this year, I'm trying to stick to 100% self-sufficiency (except filling up w/ gas) or canceling the trip. I'm anticipating the need to continue that until the end of the year. It may be overkill, but it makes me feel better.

I love the Ursack for anywhere it's allowed in the Rockies - or anywhere else for that matter. Not enough big trees to ever hang reliably - especially at elevation - and way lighter than a can.

I should be out there for 9 days in late August and again for 7 days in mid-September.

OldBill

Still at the stage where I like motels or commercial campgrounds to recover and prepare or if a major storm hits.

Had no response from motels or Visitors Center in Lander regarding COVID. Pinedale seems to be taking it more seriously, but until masks are mandatory and enforced it will continue to accelerate. Will get supplies in Jackson since it's safer, even though more crowded.

Nearly all the group cancelled. With masks, HEPA, high air flow and lower capacity experts say flying is safer than being inside restaurants or gyms.

Still looking forward to the trip. If we cross paths, I'll be the one waving from 1/4 mile away.

With masks, HEPA, high air flow and lower capacity experts say flying is safer than being inside restaurants or gyms.
I unfortunately had to fly for a funeral last month and definitely believe this. With the greatly decreased traffic at the airport and most airlines selling no more than 2/3 of their seats, it was surprisingly easy to maintain distance and everyone I saw was following posted guidelines.

Nethos

Still heading out Bill?

I’ll be out there two weeks from 8/24 to 9/8ish or 9/12-9/30 depending on work stuff. Will wave hello.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldBill

Assembling gear now. Trying to convince GF to pack lighter. :rolleyes: 2-3 of my group haven't canceled and nephew seems like he'll be able to come. His company won't let him travel to what they consider hot spots.

Definitely wave! Looking forward to getting back there. Haven't seen too many reports yet. Hope they get rain. Any destinations you've set?

Saw you did Slide/Wittenberg/Cornell recently. Too hot and humid for me right now. Did that as a ~20 mile dayhike a few years back. The Cornell Crack was fun.