A remote week-long trip, Late-may/Early June, Utah or the Southwest

I do not think you will have any issues with water. Both Lean To and Youngs canyon have multiple springs in them. However, this has been a really dry year, and I do not think anyone knows forsure which springs will continue to run and which are going to dry up. Personally, I would feel comfortable doing the trip before the end of May, just watch the temps. Some weeks might be in the 90's while others 70's.

Thanks @fiber, that's really helpful. Did you do the loop that Steve Allen describes in Canyoneering 2? I was tossing and turning last night thinking about the crux he describes on the traverse ledge above Cataract Canyon, wondering how much rope and other gear we should bring. I am a little worried about weight and space, given the amount of water we will likely be carrying. But also very excited to hit the trail, now only a few weeks away, very hard to believe actually.

(also, what do you think the likely lows are? 40s-50s?)

Last edited:
-sigh- Coming into this late in the conversation and too tired tonight to read the thread. I can weigh in more later but I have been working on what I believe is Steve's loop you are referring to for 5 years trying to talk myself into soloing it. His short essay on encountering the mountain lion and her two kits is driving me there.

I have not observed the crux. I will. What I do know is that if Steve described the crux as tough I am pretty sure it is at my limit and I am an experienced climber. He is one of the best explorers and bravest soloist backpackers I have followed. His descriptions and difficulty ratings are realistic and not pandering or underestimated like "the author" (Kelsey).

Hard to advise you since I don't know you but take his precautionary advice as realistic and sane. Caveat Emptor. He has carried 50# water loads before to do a Grand Expedition. Sorry for no more background. PM me for personal experience.

Follow on. You can have a MOST EXCELLENT adventure and 100 miles of backcountry walking in Dark Canyon without having to attempt to do Steve's high traverse. Might be a good idea to try something a little safer and certainly as stimulating in Dark Canyon if you are near to the area. Heck, just getting to the Sundance trailhead is an adventure all in of its own self.

Dark Canyon is glorious...The area is around it is wonderful...spent 10 days last year exploring Dark, Bowdie, Fable, etc...You will have a blast!

Thank you @langutah and @Mph. I am definitely getting excited for the trip. @Mph, if you have suggestions for particularly spectacular places, I am all ears. Even if we end up sticking to Steve Allen's route, we have some extra days and may do some side trips, or find day trips to do in the area, so we would love to hear about experiences. Thank you! Thank you!

Not familiar with the route you are taking...But, will you be driving a 4 wheel drive? We were all over...did a few canyoneering routes on Cedar Mesa...short, fry...drove up via the Bears Ears...lewis lodge, drove down to the bottom of Dark...hike to the Scroup Cabin...spent a few days hiking in that area...then off to Fable Valley and Bowdie canyon...down through Beef Basin, hiked in there...out the the Needles...hiked in there...we were day hiking 5-7 hours a day...no backpacking...that area is awesome! So much to see...We will be headed down there int the beginning of June...have a few places in mind. it's awesome country...you are definitely out there:)

I can get you more details if you want...Oh, I see your doing Steve Allen's route...not sure what that is...

@Mph , I would love to hear some more details if you have the time and inclination -- with less than three weeks to go we are waiting impatiently on our USGS maps, and hoping to make more specific choices very soon. whatever guidance and memories you have are much appreciated! I really hope we find the water situation is not too dire this year; I guess we'll learn more when we get there, or from the ranger station maybe. Thanks everyone!

I would recommend driving or hiking down Peavine Canyon to access Dark Canyon. From the bottom of Peavine to Dark is about 5 miles...Mostly Flat...There is a trail at t the top of the road. Can't remember the name...Hike up to the Scorop Canyon. There are some goods further up. Ruins, Kivas, etc. There was was water down there too...Hiking in Fable Valley is awesome! A backpack would be even better. You are out there...there are ruins and rock art everywhere. A nice spring too. We just did a long day hike...wished i would have spent longer in there...Beef Basin and the Needles are outstanding especially during that time of year. it will be warm but you will have the place to yourself.

What are you driving?

@Mph , I would love to hear some more details if you have the time and inclination -- with less than three weeks to go we are waiting impatiently on our USGS maps, and hoping to make more specific choices very soon. whatever guidance and memories you have are much appreciated! I really hope we find the water situation is not too dire this year; I guess we'll learn more when we get there, or from the ranger station maybe. Thanks everyone!

Hey folks,

My maps came yesterday! I have been poring over them and am getting excited. I think I understand Steve Allen's route in Dark Canyon pretty well now -- though it starts in the lower Dark Canyon, it seemsto be technically closer to the Glen Canyon NRA than the DC wilderness. I guess there are many other options around there, but this is a great-looking loop and we are inclined to stick with it, though I remain very concerned about water. Day 2 is a very long dry hike (starting from a dry camp!) from the mouth of Dark Canyon, along Cataract Canyon, then up onto the plateau and over to Midway Canyon. If there turns out to be no water in Midway we could be pretty screwed. From there the route heads into Bowdie Canyon (where I hope there will be water, and follows it for a couple of days before coming out and traversing the plateau south to Lean-to Canyon (there's an alternate, longer route, but I bet we will be slower than Steve was when he wrote the book! so will likely take the shorter route).

If @Mph or anyone else is familiar with these canyons I would love to hear some pointers. What do you think is the best way to find out more specific information about water availability? I tried the ranger station in Monticello but they didn't seem to know much.

Thanks as always!

Lower Dark Canyon has lots of flowing water, from what I understood. You shouldn't have be dry camping at the mouth of it near the Colorado. Keep in mind, I've never hiked it, but everything I've seen and read shows plenty of clean, clear water in lower Dark.

Lower Dark Canyon has lots of flowing water, from what I understood. You shouldn't have be dry camping at the mouth of it near the Colorado. Keep in mind, I've never hiked it, but everything I've seen and read shows plenty of clean, clear water in lower Dark.

X2
Some of the most beautiful pools I have ever had the pleasure of visiting are below the Sundance Trail entrance down to the river. Running water and countless pools up Dark from Sundance also.

X3 on reliable water at the bottom of the sundance trail - downstream to the lake and upstream several miles. Above that water in dark canyon is spotty and becomes an issue. When we through hiked the canyon the first couple of days were walking and camping from water hole to water hole. No surprise that the BLM doesn't know. You think they go down in there ??? :cool:

It has been quite wet down there the last couple of weeks including some snow on the Henry's and Abajos last weekend. This is good in that it melts/trickles down slowly. However that comes after a winter of pitiful snowpack and drought.

Reactions: Ben
@Nick, my understanding is that day 2 is so long and difficult, a jump start is strongly recommended. I'm glad to hear dark is wet down low -- I just hope that's true also of the other canyons, esp. bowdie and midway or rockfall or whatever it's called.