A new tent

gnwatts

I have had some bad zipper experiences lately, from tents to jackets. So a new tent was needed. This was a fun process, but time consuming. My wife finally said "just buy a tent and stop looking", not using that exact language though. I will not be backpacking very much anymore, if at all. Replaced hips, a torn and detached rotator cuff (which has somewhat healed without surgery) will preclude putting on a backpack anymore. So that leaves spending time with my canoe on local rivers and lakes.

As far as getting a new tent, my criteria was pretty straight forward. It has to be freestanding, and it has to withstand serious wind. My last four river trips on the Colorado and the Green have all had rain and winds up to 50-60 mph, with me holding the tent a lot of the time.

So, I had narrowed it down to 3 tents, with help from BCP and others. The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2, the TarpTent Scarp 2
and a tent manufacturer I was not familiar with, SlingFin and their Portal 2.
I am familiar with the Big Agnes from a friend who's opinion I trust. He swore by it, said it was bomber and never let him down. I just did not like the "feel" of it, It seemed kind of flimsy, and my friend has had some minor durability and zipper issues. Zipper problems are the last thing I wanted to hear.

A good comparison, the Copper Spur and the Portal 2:

https://www.cleverhiker.com/backpacking/slingfin-portal-tent-review/?rq=portal&ref=cidwz4ommdi

Having said all of that, I have narrowed it down to the TarpTent Scarp 2, and the SlingFin Portal 2. I looked at the TarpTent Double Rainbow DW, but I did not like the fact that I needed trekking poles for it to be freestanding. What if I wanted to use the trekking poles for a hike?

So....

The TarpTent Scarp 2 is a beautiful and unique tent:

https://www.tarptent.com/product/scarp-2/

After looking at some reviews, especially some "1 year later" reviews, it seems like it has some minor issues, maninly with high wind lifting the tent up a bit, but not a deal breaker.

The SlingFin Portal 2:

https://www.slingfin.com/products/portal-2?ref=cidwz4ommdi

Everything I have read describes this tent as absolutely bomber, amazing in the wind and rain. I particulary like the internal guylines for increased stability.
These 2 tents are almost idnetical in size and weight: Scarp is 3.5 lbs, 52"x 86" x 45", Portal is 3.3 lbs, 51"x 85"x 44".
The Scarp 2 costs $469, the Portal 2 at $540. But the cost is not a deciding factor for me, as I buy a tent every 8-10 years, and I want it to last.
I would be interested in any opinions, if anyone has used these tents etc.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Had tarptents since 1999. A rainbow. Used it about 15 years, yearly out about 30 days each year. Now have had a Bowfin since they came out about 30 days a year. Dont know 9 years maybe. Looking to get a Moment for this season. Tarptents stands behind their stuff. You can call and get someone.

We've had a tarptent rainbow for quite a few years. We love it, and it has held up remarkably well. Still good for many more trips.

But we try damn hard not to go backpacking in gale force winds or massive storms. So I can't speak to how it handles those. I will say that we spent about four hours a day for four straight afternoons sitting out thunderstorms in the Sierra at 9,000 feet. But we were in a canyon, and shelter a bit from wind. Worked great.

I try not to subject myself to high winds or massive storms either, but unfortunately Tex's Riverways will not refund your money for bad weather. So I try to make the best of it.

I have neither tent but do have a couple thoughts.

Important to note that the Scarp isn't free standing unless you buy and use the optional cross poles, which add another 10 or 18 oz depending on which pole material you choose. Since you need a free standing tent, that means the Scarp would come in a fair bit heavier.

With that in mind, I'm partial to Tarptent for their quality and customer service, and I think the Scarp design looks like it should shed wind better. I've had tents in the same shape/design as the Portal 2, and they have bent in on my face in high wind (they spring right back once the strong wind gust subsides, but it's still not ideal that it happens at all). That bending would probably be prevented if you additionally guyed them out using the loops higher up on the fly.

Thanks for all of the input. I will be looking more closely at the Scarp in the coming days. I have checked out the Portal 2, watching their youtube videos, and I am impressed with the structural design of the tent, and the attention to detail regarding the inside and outside guy wiring.This tent has inside cross cross guy wires at either end of the tent, that are attached to the same spot the outside guy wires are attached. Which helps to keep it from moving. In addition, there are 10 guy wire attachment locations. As @Jackson noted, more guy wires, especially higher on the tent (as both tents have) will help withstand strong wind. Thanks Jackson for pointing out the need for trekking poles on the Scarp, I missed that. I do like the Scarp more than the Rainbow, so maybe the trekking pole thing is something I can live with, as I really like the Scarp design. The Portal has a option to fiurther stiffen the tent with the addition of poles, but it is not needed to set up the tent.

Thanks for all of the input. I will be looking more closely at the Scarp in the coming days. I have checked out the Portal 2, watching their youtube videos, and I am impressed with the structural design of the tent, and the attention to detail regarding the inside and outside guy wiring.This tent has inside cross cross guy wires at either end of the tent, that are attached to the same spot the outside guy wires are attached. Which helps to keep it from moving. In addition, there are 10 guy wire attachment locations. As @Jackson noted, more guy wires, especially higher on the tent (as both tents have) will help withstand strong wind. Thanks Jackson for pointing out the need for trekking poles on the Scarp, I missed that. I do like the Scarp more than the Rainbow, so maybe the trekking pole thing is something I can live with, as I really like the Scarp design. The Portal has a option to fiurther stiffen the tent with the addition of poles, but it is not needed to set up the tent.
And just to clarify, the poles to make it free-standing aren't trekking poles, but rather are flexible poles like a regular dome tent has, where they cross each other in the center of the tent, and their length is probably specific to the tent.

As shown here: 1707249865314.png

And just to clarify, the poles to make it free-standing aren't trekking poles, but rather are flexible poles like a regular dome tent has, where they cross each other in the center of the tent, and their length is probably specific to the tent.
That picture certainly shows what should be rock-solid in a storm. 3 poles crossed + guylines! Interesting that it has such high walls at the base. Makes for much more useful internal footprint/volume. One problem with many 1p lightweight designs is that the foot and head are sloped a lot. Gets a bit claustrophobic after a while IMO.

The moment is basiclly the same but smaller, less weight

Thanks for the update! The 1p my short list as well. Doesn't have an option for a partial solid inner and only has one vent. Was a little concerned about the thin fabrics (10D fly, 20D floor) but it is sil/sil-Ny so supposedly stronger. Be interesting to hear how it performs in desert conditions once the sand starts flying even with a full coverage fly.

Like the dimensions. 41" peak height. Most only have 39" so on a 3" pad, my head would be hitting the fabric. 35" width at the head and 28" at the foot is nice. My SMD Trekker requires poles but has 45" height and almost 48" max width at the floor or 28 oz. Just a single, single wall which is a pain.

Tarptent Moment DW is great (solid inner for cold, windy conditions makes it 3+ season). 34z with carbon pole. Small footprint compared to the Dipole and X-mid. But 39" max height and only 20" at foot end is probably tight for me. Friend has one and loves it. Used for a winter backpack. But she's smaller than I. X-mid is only 32" inner. Dipole is 36-28". Scarp is popular in northern Europe because it's so good with cold & wind, but 49 oz.

Found just a couple reviews without company ties or make money by linking to products. But, no tent's perfect for everyone or every situation.
Moment
Dipole

This is my camp last week in Stillwater Canyon at Powell Camp
Did you go up the canyon there (or try)? We'll be doing that trip in the fall, and I've read about this spot and want to get more info about whether it's do-able for us.

I hung out in camp, and did not hike up Powell Canyon. I did on a previous trip, I made it up maybe a mile. The trail was not hard, some scrambles. I reached a spot I did not feel like negotiating so turned around.