A Lucky Weekend above the Vermilion Cliffs

Jazzy Joe

Joe Roper
I'm working on being a little better at sharing content on this site since I have used it to plan so many trips now so I thought I would finally add a trip report to the mix!

I recently got super lucky and had a chance to hit up White Pocket as well as Coyote Buttes North & South all in the same weekend. It was spectacular. I had gone down there with the hopes to at least get a Coyote Buttes South permit and we were lucky enough to get permits for both areas! We had some really good luck and eventually it ran out but I wouldn't have had it any other way this trip was an adventure.

https://travelanche.us/home/when-everything-fell-into-place

Attachments

• The Wave Slot Glow-08091.jpg
    The Wave Slot Glow-08091.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 16
You were lucky indeed and super lucky you didn't get more rain Sunday morning. Very cool that you saw the bighorn sheep too. It's great that you were entertained on Superbowl Sunday, because that game was just as exciting as watching grass grow.
Skinwalkers at WP, we didn't see any.... ;) We had the moon shine and everything was lit up, which was pretty surreal to see at night.

That lucky week-end will be one you never forget!

You were lucky indeed and super lucky you didn't get more rain Sunday morning. Very cool that you saw the bighorn sheep too. It's great that you were entertained on Superbowl Sunday, because that game was just as exciting as watching grass grow.
Skinwalkers at WP, we didn't see any.... ;) We had the moon shine and everything was lit up, which was pretty surreal to see at night.

That lucky week-end will be one you never forget!
Never watched a superbowl so I can't start now! I'm more of a basketball fan to be honest. I imagine white pocket being amazing with solid moon lighting maybe a little less spooky too haha. It honestly was a strange experience sitting out there in the pitch darkness waiting for long exposures.

I'm working on being a little better at sharing content on this site since I have used it to plan so many trips now so I thought I would finally add a trip report to the mix!

I recently got super lucky and had a chance to hit up White Pocket as well as Coyote Buttes North & South all in the same weekend. It was spectacular. I had gone down there with the hopes to at least get a Coyote Buttes South permit and we were lucky enough to get permits for both areas! We had some really good luck and eventually it ran out but I wouldn't have had it any other way this trip was an adventure.

https://travelanche.us/home/when-everything-fell-into-place

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing with us!
Such amazing photos.
I really love seeing the lottery system, I have never seen anything like that!
You guys made cookies?! Where is that photo?
And also, was that a piece of bacon in one of the shots? Haha love it. :)

Thank you for sharing with us!
Such amazing photos.
I really love seeing the lottery system, I have never seen anything like that!
You guys made cookies?! Where is that photo?
And also, was that a piece of bacon in one of the shots? Haha love it. :)
It was in fact bacon. We had a whole extra package of bacon that morning so we cooked it with breakfast and saved it for lunch at the wave. Eating bacon at bacon rock. Also, I'm confused what cookies?

I have been fortunate to win Coyote North permits 3 times. I also went on Friday morning in the winters. I have had more failed early morning road trips to Kanab than successes but winters on Friday are when the odds are the best. That is when you discover Buckskin Gulch......ha. They began discussion a couple years ago to change the permit lottery process. Happy to see that is doesn't appear to have changed any. Maybe I should try again! I really want to get back to Sand Dune/Cove....what ever they call that place you got to on the ridge beyond The Wave (your picture above). I went to Kanab on the Friday before New Years weekend. I instantly felt beyond stupid. Not only was the "lottery room" packed but the entire visitors center seemed packed. Lesson learned
.The Wave 106.JPG

I have been fortunate to win Coyote North permits 3 times. I also went on Friday morning in the winters. I have had more failed early morning road trips to Kanab than successes but winters on Friday are when the odds are the best. That is when you discover Buckskin Gulch......ha. They began discussion a couple years ago to change the permit lottery process. Happy to see that is doesn't appear to have changed any. Maybe I should try again! I really want to get back to Sand Dune/Cove....what ever they call that place you got to on the ridge beyond The Wave (your picture above). I went to Kanab on the Friday before New Years weekend. I instantly felt beyond stupid. Not only was the "lottery room" packed but the entire visitors center seemed packed. Lesson learned
.View attachment 75250
Being in that alcove was something else, I stressed the whole time as my camera was getting sandblasted but there were so many cool details in that tiny spot. I've heard it called alcove at the wave usually.

It was in fact bacon. We had a whole extra package of bacon that morning so we cooked it with breakfast and saved it for lunch at the wave. Eating bacon at bacon rock. Also, I'm confused what cookies?

Ooooooh, cookies and creme hot coco! I imagined a comma where there wasn't one. :facepalm: