A few weeks in Southern NV, AZ and CA deserts Nov 2022.

John Morrow

Hi all,

Just returned from about 4 weeks of southern NV, AZ and CA travel: Gold Butte, Lake Mead, Havasu National Wildlife Refuge, Havasu and Mt Nutt Wildernesses, Mojave NP, Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge and DVNP.

I've been reluctant to do full on TRs of late. As I see certain places get more and more visitation I don't want to contribute. Few of these places seem to garner attention so I don't mind sharing for those who may be interested. Outside of road camping, there seems to be much quiet wild country. My past TRs haven't seemed to change that, fortunately. Thus, I've uploaded photos on Flickr and also some topo maps because I think only a few will continue to be interested. Time may tell I am wrong on that. I can't remember seeing a single hiker within sight on any of these hikes unless it was an urban park or official maintained trail. A little case in point: the main high Mesquite Dunes looked like a elk wallow of trampling. But just by walking in to the lesser dunes from the Devils Corn stacks I was able to find an abundance of untracked wind waves to photograph. I had heard complaints of the photographic options just moments before in Stovepipe Wells. I am almost saddened by folks' lack of imagination.

Albums found here on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@N03/albums

Reach out for questions on details.

John

love the dunes! by John Morrow, on Flickr

Distant Cottonwood Mountains by John Morrow, on Flickr

sheep by John Morrow, on Flickr

Ash Meadows sunset by John Morrow, on Flickr

Pete's Point route by John Morrow, on Flickr

slot two by John Morrow, on Flickr

summit shot by John Morrow, on Flickr

Piute Spring below by John Morrow, on Flickr

beautiful canyon by John Morrow, on Flickr

sheep! by John Morrow, on Flickr

My route by John Morrow, on Flickr

river, dunes, lagoons by John Morrow, on Flickr

dropping to Narrows by John Morrow, on Flickr

fun stemming by John Morrow, on Flickr

leaving the basin by John Morrow, on Flickr

excellent scramble route by John Morrow, on Flickr

yesterday's exploration on skyline by John Morrow, on Flickr

more sand by John Morrow, on Flickr

Mud Wash Red Dunes by John Morrow, on Flickr

a bit of J-Tree forest by John Morrow, on Flickr

Pahranagat Lake Camp morning by John Morrow, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like a fine trip! That first image really grabbed my eye, as well as the second "bighorns on the ridge" one.

Very nice, John, especially the big horn sightings. I'm about to do some Lake Mead chossineering myself.

Very nice, John, especially the big horn sightings. I'm about to do some Lake Mead chossineering myself.

You know us interested parties will want to hear! Next fall we should make an effort to overlap some Lake Mead time. It's such an acquired taste!

Super pics! Have been to many of the spots you visited on your trip and have very rarely ever seen another person. With a bit of imagination it is quite easy to avoid the hordes.

Amazing shots. The river, dunes, lagoon one gets me! Love to know where that is.

Amazing shots. The river, dunes, lagoon one gets me! Love to know where that is.
The common name for the area is "Topoc Gorge" on the Colorado River. At the NW end of this peanut shell loop. The start of the hike is a high clearance spur off AZ95 under the North slope of Gold Hill (next to highway) in a popular dispersed camping area.

Overview Dunes Loop.jpgHavasu Dunes Loop.jpg

Last edited:
Love seeing your winter time pursuits in the deserts down there. Beautiful! Surprising anyone would think those places aren't photogenic.

Great Trip Report! Been down in this country myself this winter with biking south. Loved Bill Williams NWR, Havasu NWR, and Cibola NWR. Many many empty places down here in the desert still. YEA! Best to You and Thanks for posting!