A few loose ends for my Grand Canyon trip

Mike Jones

I officially got permits for me and my friend to hike the Grand Canyon starting this Sunday, and I just have a few small loose end type questions before we fly out to Las Vegas on Saturday night.

1) Are there only certain hours in which we can pick up permits, and is there an address for picking up permits on the south rim? I am having trouble finding that.

2) We are starting on tanner and ending up the Kaibab trail. The locations are not really near each other, so what is the best way to do this logistically if we have one car?

I promise to take lots and lots of pictures for all of you to say thanks for all the help you have given me in planning this trip!

I am leaving Saturday for the grand canyon and am still not sure what I am doing for a ride at the end of my trip to get back to my car. Any ideas are still welcome....

Also on the way from vega to the grand canyon are there any stores I can go to pick up gas for my stove and any other last minute backpacking supplies?

I saw a few places in vegas but were leaving vegas pretty early in the morning to get to the canyon by noonish and they probably wont be open when were in vegas. So were looking for other places on the way to the canyon.

The backcountry office is open 8:00 am-noon; 1:00-5:00 p.m. (M.S.T.).

The office is located in the village historic district just east of Maswik Lodge.

I think you'll have to leave your car near one of the bus stops near the backcountry office or the visitor center, and then try to hitch a ride out to Lipan Point. Then catch the free shuttle from the South Kaibab Trailhead back to your car.

Have you hiked at the GC before? I'm sure you've read about how hard it is. My experience is that it's harder than that.

I am leaving Saturday for the grand canyon and am still not sure what I am doing for a ride at the end of my trip to get back to my car. Any ideas are still welcome....

Also on the way from vega to the grand canyon are there any stores I can go to pick up gas for my stove and any other last minute backpacking supplies?

I saw a few places in vegas but were leaving vegas pretty early in the morning to get to the canyon by noonish and they probably wont be open when were in vegas. So were looking for other places on the way to the canyon.

I'm 99% certain you can find fuel cans and all other sorts of camping supplies at the Grand Canyon General Store. That should do ya. I'd call first though just to be sure.

Grand Canyon Store does have fuel. It's not an REI, but it's fairly large. They also rent wire mesh bags to keep food away from the ringtails (commonly suggested, though I've never had a problem.)

BTW -- the shuttle doesn't run all the way out to Tanner, but there is a "taxi" service which you can arrange in the village the day before (maybe the same day even.) Or, if you do hitch it, drop your stuff and other people at TH then drive back to parking lot and go solo -- this will drastically improve your chances of getting the ride.

Good luck, have fun.

- JG