A Family Dayhike in the GYE

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
August 5, 2017

The area immediately to the NW of West Yellowstone has been special to my family for a few generations now. This report is from one of their favorite spots up there.

@Jessica and I were visiting my grandparents at their cabin near Cameron, and we went on this 8-mile hike with my grandpa, my uncle, and my cousin. The wildflowers were still in bloom, and aside from three guys on horses and 2 very nice mountain bikers (who weren't supposed to be on the trail), we had the place entirely to ourselves.

This was the first trip where I used my Pixel to take all the photos. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn off the automatic HDR setting.

We started in the woods, and they were pretty thick, so I didn't take any pictures. Eventually, the trail comes into a large meadow that goes on for a few miles. Great views all around.

We came across a SNOTEL site. We were able to deduce what most of the equipment there measured, but some is still a mystery to us. I should've taken more pictures of it.

We also saw some bear sign, but it was all quite old. I should've put my hand in this photo for scale. We're unsure whether it was grizzly or black. There doesn't seem to be a ton of curve to it, but I don't really know anything.

The views behind us got even better as we got farther up.

We could tell when we were getting close to the lake.

And then we got there.

There are some beautiful large mountains in this range, and we could see them from the lake.

We spent an hour or so at the lake eating lunch and enjoying ourselves.

The walk back was nice.

What a fantastic place.

Beautiful up there! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks kind of smoky in the distance or was it the camera setting?
It was really smoky that entire week because of fires farther up in Montana. The day we went for the hike fortunately was the least smoky, but visibility was still very reduced.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Janice Family trip to Grand Teton Memorial Day weekend? Trip Planning 5
wsp_scott Family trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 15
S Mentasta Mountains, Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve- family backpack Backpacking 1
WasatchWill Seeking Family History in Capitol Reef Backpacking 11
swmalone Bryce Canyon Family Trip Hiking & Camping 10
wsp_scott Yellowstone family trip planning General Discussion 27
TrektheWorld Family Camping Vehicle & Camper with bikes and an HOA Gear 13
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
WasatchWill Family's First Visit to Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 12
gnwatts Family Meander Canyon float trip, slow, fun and hot On The Water 4
Jimmy River Trips in April - Family of 5 Trip Planning 3
swmalone Family Yellowstone Trip August 23-25, 2019 Hiking & Camping 10
pstm13 A Family Trip in the Winds: Big Sandy and the Cirque Backpacking 11
S Yukon River family + puppy canoe trip On The Water 4
toddrparr Easy family backpacking in Big Thicket Preserve, Texas Trip Planning 0
S Nepal Family Trek Hiking & Camping 6
Scott Chandler The Chandler Family Get Together in Glacier 2018: Day 5 Hiking & Camping 1
Scott Chandler The Chandler Family Get Together in Glacier 2018: Days 3 & 4 Hiking & Camping 1
Scott Chandler The Chandler Family Get Together in Glacier 2018: Day 2 Hiking & Camping 7
Scott Chandler The Chandler Family Get Together in Glacier 2018: Day 1 Hiking & Camping 19
Jimmy Baker Lake, Lake Diablo, North Cascades, Olympics Family Adventure Hiking & Camping 8
Ugly Scofield Reservoir- Annual Family Sunbaking Hiking & Camping 3
wabenho Memorial Weekend Family Campout Hiking & Camping 2
S Cedar Mesa- family trip Hiking & Camping 2
S Stillwater Canyon-family trip On The Water 2
S Chilkoot Trail-family trip Backpacking 4
regehr Family trip to Blue John Canyoneering 22
Blake Merrell KiDdIe CaNyOnEeRiNg - Fin's & Things with the Family Canyoneering 2
D Family-Friendly Backcountry??? Trip Planning 2
boxelderbryan Family Superstitions Backpacking 15
WasatchWill Family/Kid friendly recommendations for Joshua Tree NP Trip Planning 4
WasatchWill Family Backpacking: Return to Ruth Lake Backpacking 0
Blake Merrell Family Backpacking to Ruth Lake Backpacking 3
S Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family Trip Planning 6
TrektheWorld Planning a family trip to Utah (Park City + more!) Trip Planning 4
WasatchWill Seeking a little help for Fall Break with family in GSENM Trip Planning 4
D Wasatch Front - Early June Family Backpacking Trip Planning 5
WasatchWill Family's First Visit to Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 2
Upgrayedd Noob with a young family checking in Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
ogdendude Family hiking nearish Kanab Hiking & Camping 3
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
J Mount Nutt Wilderness Cave Spring Area dayhike Nov 26, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
J Havasu Wilderness and NWR, AZ. Nov 27, 2019 dayhike exploration Hiking & Camping 0
NorthwestWanderer Dayhike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass Hiking & Camping 1
N Turpin Meadows Dayhike Oct 1st? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
danger02ward Druid Arch/Chesler Park Dayhike Hiking & Camping 5
TheMountainRabbit Invite Northern GYE, January 25-29, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 6
TheMountainRabbit Invite Northern GYE, January 25-29, 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 3
wsp_scott GYE resources Trip Planning 42
TheMountainRabbit Invite Northern GYE, January 23-25, 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 0