A couple of Hikes in Glacier NP

MtnMatt

Watch yer top-knot
Way back in my previous life I spent a summer living in Glacier Park. I took whatever job was available that would allow me to actually live IN the park. I ended up waiting tables at Lake McDonald lodge. The job was not the best but the benefits were SOOO GOOD. I worked about 3 shifts a week and then had the rest of the time to just hike, fish, take lots of Pics and backpack every week. It was a great summer but it was a little too much solo after a while. I have always wanted to go back now that my boys are old enough to enjoy it. Last week we got our chance.
092013_0196.JPG
Only thing missing on this trip was Mom! First day we drove over the going to the sun highway. I forgot how freaking scary that thing is. Unfortunately they have had a dry year so the waterfalls were pretty much non existent. One of the really cool features on that drive is the weeping wall where water is pouring off the cliffs above and if your stupid enough you can drive under the pouring water. I almost ruined my Jeep Comanche doing that 25 years ago, this year it was bone dry, huge disappointment there. The scenery was even better than I remembered though. We did a short hike on the East side from the Swift current trail head . 092013_0193.JPG
It is amazing how Big the wilderness is up there. We just took lots of pictures on this hike. I wish we had spent some time fishing the stream. It looks so inviting now when I look at my pictures. Oh well. I was having too much fun watching Caleb try to get the perfect shot of the waterfall.092013_0166.JPG
We had a lot of fun just kicking around the park. It was way more crowded than I remembered and I was surprised for how late in the season we were there. The weather was perfect and this was the last weekend the road would be open over the pass so maybe everyone was like us, trying to get one last look before they shut it down for the season. On the West side the hike up Avalanche gorge to Avalanche Lake was amazing. It is always the most crowded and our hike was no exception but the views in the gorge and at the lake are well worth it
092113_0121-web-copy.jpg
092113_0128-web-copy2.jpg
092113_0135.JPG
The boys had heard stories about how I went swimming in the pristine (freezing cold) rivers when I lived there so they had to try it for themselves in McDonald creek
092113_0157.JPG
092113_0155.JPG
092113_0156.JPG
The trip was way too short. We promised ourselves we will go back and do an extended backpack next time, over the continental divide to some of the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen and the best fishing for big Brookies I have ever had. I still have all those photos as slides from the old days. I keep meaning to get them digitized but just haven't done it yet. Anyway, after this it was back to our cabin just outside the park. Didn't get to see any bears this time but we had a great time hiking in some amazing country. Next time the wife needs to join us.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
J Anyone in the Thorofare in the past couple of weeks? Trip Planning 0
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
andyjaggy A couple of Backpacking Trip Report Videos Backpacking 0
J Short time in Greater Bears Ears. Couple Dayhikes April 5 and 6, 2021 Hiking & Camping 5
Rockskipper Solar flare = aurora in many places next couple of nights General Discussion 5
wsp_scott A couple trips with kids Backpacking 1
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
Tystevens Dog friendly 1-2 night trip within a couple hours of I70 in Utah or Colorado... Trip Planning 4
Scott Chandler CPW '15- A Couple Typical Weekends Backpacking 4
gnwatts 4 old men in a couple of canoes On The Water 10
Nanda Invite Amethyst basin(or similar areas) couple nights in uintas Meet Up (Members Only) 3
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
J Lake Mead NRA and Sloan Canyon NCA summit and vista hikes. Nov 21-25, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
balzaccom Kings Canyon NP Day Hikes Hiking & Camping 3
J Moving down to Southern San Rafael Reef Wilderness for two more loop hikes April 13-14 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
Chuck the Mauler Any good day hikes near Breckinridge and Dillion? Trip Planning 5
JBPHXAZ Suggestions for day hikes in Cedar Mesa area Trip Planning 4
Chuck the Mauler Kid friendly day hikes Trip Planning 5
Eugene Stanley Idaho area hikes Trip Planning 2
swmalone Questions about Lamar Valley Hikes Trip Planning 9
C plans for long day hikes in Yellowstone Trip Planning 2
NorthwestWanderer Waterfall Hikes & the death of my legendary Chevy Cobalt...in a rock slide. Hiking & Camping 8
Ross Arizona/Utah road trip loop with sandstone/badlands/canyon hikes Hiking & Camping 14
Stephanie B Suggestions for Maze Hikes and Range Canyon Intel? Trip Planning 2
J Red Rock(s) Canyon Natl.Conservation Area Hikes and Scrambles Nov. 15 and 16, 2017 Hiking & Camping 0
piper01 GSENM: Burr Trail hikes Trip Planning 28
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains day hikes Hiking & Camping 3
D Greetings from Missouri! What are your favorite Hikes in the Sawtooths? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Shirt357 Winter hikes/snowshoeing near Fort Collins Trip Planning 8
Morgan_Scott Ride Shares for Through Hikes Hiking & Camping 1
Perry 20 Badass Hikes - Agree? General Discussion 3
Ross Sawtooth and Wind hikes + Yellowstone favourites Backpacking 12
C day hikes in Canyonlands Needles in late November Trip Planning 19
swmalone Uintas Short Hikes Trip Planning 4
Kyle P Day Hikes around Denver Trip Planning 0
John Goering South Boulder River (Tobacco Root Mountains) day hikes. Hiking & Camping 8
Parma America's 10 Most Dangerous Hikes General Discussion 0
TheDunedain Mellow Southern UT hikes for the gimpy? Trip Planning 1
F Short Overnight hikes near Salt Lake City Trip Planning 2
uintahiker Good Hikes in the Kansas City area? Trip Planning 2
S Day hikes in between Vegas and Escalante Trip Planning 2
Nick The 20 Most Dangerous Hikes General Discussion 19
Thomas Rasmuson Hikes Along The Wasatch Front Trip Planning 3
Bob Palin Northern Idaho day hikes and camping spots? Trip Planning 0
DrNed Best Hikes in Canyonlands Trip Planning 8
Nick Utah County Hikes General Discussion 18
uintahiker Two Hikes at Saguaro National Park Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Dog-friendly hikes around St. George Trip Planning 28