7 days in Southern Utah - Multi day backpacking trips?

mred

I just figured out that I have about 7 days, next week (May 20- May 27), to kill in Southern Utah.

I'm looking for recommendations on a couple of 2-3 day backpacking trips that I can do. I'm looking for non technical (maybe some scrambling but no ropes/harnesses) trips.
I've already been on the Coyote Gulch, so I'd like to try something new this time.

I've been trying to look at the Buckskin gulch and maybe do an over night trip to Lees Ferry but then I don't think I can get hold of a permit to do it. Maybe I can do a day hike down to the Buckskin gulch and back.
Also, I'm going to be traveling alone, so would Buckskin Gulch even be recommended? I guess most slot canyons wouldn't be recommended for a solo hiker but I'm curious to see if there are any that I can do on my own.

The grand canyon does seem pretty enticing but I'm definitely looking for some solitude and would love to beat the crowds (easier said than done especially on a long weekend!)

Any suggestions or recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks!

Go to Escalante my friend. Drive down Hole In the Rock Road. I'd recommend the 40 mile, Willow Gulch loop, then maybe head down 50 mile? Far too many options. Check out our Trail Guides, and Trip Reports from the area. I could spend months in the GSENM/Capitol Reef area without running out of ideas.

Yeah, Escalante seems like the best option if I want to beat the crowds. Thanks for the suggestions!
Do you know if Buckskin as a day trip would be recommended as a day trip for a solo hiker? I've heard so much about it that I'm really curious to explore it.

Yeah, Escalante seems like the best option if I want to beat the crowds. Thanks for the suggestions!
Do you know if Buckskin as a day trip would be recommended as a day trip for a solo hiker? I've heard so much about it that I'm really curious to explore it.

Buckskin is the longest slot, that is really cool. IMO, unless you are going to walk the whole thing, I'd pass until you can. There are plenty of other slots to explore in the meantime.

Check out the Little Death Horse, Wolverine Loop if you are looking for a cool slot loop hike.

Thanks for the suggestion.
That does look pretty neat and very doable. I'm going to explore that part and see if I can string together a couple of more hikes to make it a longer backpacking trip!

Thanks for the suggestion.
That does look pretty neat and very doable. I'm going to explore that part and see if I can string together a couple of more hikes to make it a longer backpacking trip!

Steve Allen has a big loop suggestion in the area, but I'm not sure which of his volumes it is off the top of my head.

Maybe the mesa. Cedar mesa that is...the maze would on my list!!!

Take a taxi boat down the Colorado and hike up into the maze! Game on!

Back