7 days in Southern Utah - Multi day backpacking trips?

mred

I just figured out that I have about 7 days, next week (May 20- May 27), to kill in Southern Utah.

I'm looking for recommendations on a couple of 2-3 day backpacking trips that I can do. I'm looking for non technical (maybe some scrambling but no ropes/harnesses) trips.
I've already been on the Coyote Gulch, so I'd like to try something new this time.

I've been trying to look at the Buckskin gulch and maybe do an over night trip to Lees Ferry but then I don't think I can get hold of a permit to do it. Maybe I can do a day hike down to the Buckskin gulch and back.
Also, I'm going to be traveling alone, so would Buckskin Gulch even be recommended? I guess most slot canyons wouldn't be recommended for a solo hiker but I'm curious to see if there are any that I can do on my own.

The grand canyon does seem pretty enticing but I'm definitely looking for some solitude and would love to beat the crowds (easier said than done especially on a long weekend!)

Any suggestions or recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks!

Go to Escalante my friend. Drive down Hole In the Rock Road. I'd recommend the 40 mile, Willow Gulch loop, then maybe head down 50 mile? Far too many options. Check out our Trail Guides, and Trip Reports from the area. I could spend months in the GSENM/Capitol Reef area without running out of ideas.

Yeah, Escalante seems like the best option if I want to beat the crowds. Thanks for the suggestions!
Do you know if Buckskin as a day trip would be recommended as a day trip for a solo hiker? I've heard so much about it that I'm really curious to explore it.

Yeah, Escalante seems like the best option if I want to beat the crowds. Thanks for the suggestions!
Do you know if Buckskin as a day trip would be recommended as a day trip for a solo hiker? I've heard so much about it that I'm really curious to explore it.

Buckskin is the longest slot, that is really cool. IMO, unless you are going to walk the whole thing, I'd pass until you can. There are plenty of other slots to explore in the meantime.

Check out the Little Death Horse, Wolverine Loop if you are looking for a cool slot loop hike.

Thanks for the suggestion.
That does look pretty neat and very doable. I'm going to explore that part and see if I can string together a couple of more hikes to make it a longer backpacking trip!

Thanks for the suggestion.
That does look pretty neat and very doable. I'm going to explore that part and see if I can string together a couple of more hikes to make it a longer backpacking trip!

Steve Allen has a big loop suggestion in the area, but I'm not sure which of his volumes it is off the top of my head.

Maybe the mesa. Cedar mesa that is...the maze would on my list!!!

Take a taxi boat down the Colorado and hike up into the maze! Game on!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
OCArch Suggestion Needed- 4 days in Southern Utah (Escalante?) in Mid-October Trip Planning 11
Hubert Poul 37 days on bikes in southern Utah (PART 1) Hiking & Camping 15
Hubert Poul Planning my 37 days in Southern Utah (on bike) Trip Planning 13
Udink Three Days in Southern Utah Everything Else 6
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
B 5 Days in the Sawtooths Backpacking 2
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
RyanP Four Days in the IPW (8/9 - 8/12) Backpacking 17
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 9 of 9, 7-29 & 30, /2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 8 of 9, 7/28/2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 7 of 9, July 26-27, 2022 Backpacking 13
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 6, 7/25/2022 Backpacking 17
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 5 of 9, 7/23-24, 2022 Backpacking 10
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 4 of 9, 7/22, 2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 3 of 9, 7/20-21, 2022 Backpacking 2
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 2, 7/19/2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 1, 7/15-18, 2022 Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
regehr King's in two days Hiking & Camping 5
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
Bob Slickhorn Canyon System - 6 days Backpacking 22
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8
napatony13 1100 Miles, 43 Days, Summits All 58 14ers in Colorado General Discussion 4
Titans Reflections in ponds: 4 days in The Adirondacks, Sept 1-4, 2021 Hiking & Camping 5
Janice 7 Breathtaking Days in the Winds Trip Reports 15
2eez4life 4 days 3 nights in the Uintas Trip Planning 9
Bob Bob Marshall - 7 days Backpacking 7
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
NorthwestWanderer 4 Days Backpacking Capitol Reef : Spring Canyon & Various side canyons Backpacking 5
norwegianxplorer Ski Dogs, Norway, fun days off piste ski touring amazing conditions Winter Sports 0
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
J A few days in Mojave National Preserve Dec. 5-7, 2020 Hiking & Camping 9
J N. Mojave Desert Rambles and Scrambles (start of 40 desert days) Nov. 14-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
LarryBoy Five Days on Boulder Mountain Backpacking 5
Hiker Seth A few days in Baxter SP Backpacking 5
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
Happyidiot 4 Days In The Winds Backpacking 10
M 5 days Green > Elk Wind River route advice August 17th Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Five days in Yosemite Backpacking 2