5.10 Canyoneer's

Tyler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not quite ready to buy some, but they're on my list. The biggest issue I face is that I don't really know of a local place (SLC) that carries them where I can try a pair on. Most are on-line orders only.

So for those that own a pair, how do they fit as far as size goes? Are they typically true to size? The reason I ask is because depending on shoe brand I can wear anything from a 10 to an 11, but average a 10.5. I mainly wear Adidas as much as possible and I wear a 10.5 in adidas. Nike's I'll usually wear an 11. Anyone have any comparison of regular footware size to the size you would wear with your Canyoneer's? I know Adidas purchased 5.10, so I'm hoping their sizes are more identical.

Also, anyone know if there is a difference between the Canyoneers and the SAR's? They both look identical, but the colors are different. Anything else?

Thanks in advanced.

You can try them on at the Black Diamond Store in SLC, not sure if there is anywhere else.

If you plan to use neosocks with them, I'd pick those up before you ever even try them on. Depending on your neosocks, you'll probably need to go up .5-1.5 sizes to fit them. Some folks are able to stuff it all into their regular size (no clue how), but I'd say the average in my experience is up one size. If you want to be able to wear neosocks OR regular socks, you'll have to find some really thin neos. I've tried substituting mine with big thick socks for dry approaches but it just doesn't fill the boot well enough.

I highly recommend using a very thin sock between your foot and your neosock. It makes things much more comfortable, especially on the dry approaches & exits. So perhaps plan to try them on with that in there too. I've done trips upward of 30 miles in neosocks with that liner sock, much of it dry, and although it wasn't as nice as a regular hiking boot and socks, it was quite tolerable. In the future I'll be sure to use something like my 5.10 Camp Fours for that kind of thing though. They have the exact same sole as the Canyoneers but are 10x more comfy to hike in. I only use my Canyoneers for the wettest of the wet now or if the water is expected to be super cold.

Don't be surprised if the canyoneers are pretty tough to get on. It's a flaw in the design, I think. The opening for your foot is too small, but once you jam it in there, it fits just right. I've seen a lot of people struggle to get them on at trailheads, using carabiners and things to help pull them on. Point is, be more concerned about the fit once they're on rather than the fit getting them on.

FWIW, my typical shoe size is 12 and I wear a 13 in canyoneers. My first pair of canyoneers I went with a 14 and they were a bit spacious. I feel like a 13.5 would be best with my current neosocks as I'm having a really hard time getting them on lately. Probably just need a thinner pair though.

And on the SARs, I wouldn't bother. The key difference is a steel toe and I've heard from people that use them that it can be pretty uncomfortable.

You can try them on at the Black Diamond Store in SLC, not sure if there is anywhere else.

If you plan to use neosocks with them, I'd pick those up before you ever even try them on. Depending on your neosocks, you'll probably need to go up .5-1.5 sizes to fit them. Some folks are able to stuff it all into their regular size (no clue how), but I'd say the average in my experience is up one size. If you want to be able to wear neosocks OR regular socks, you'll have to find some really thin neos. I've tried substituting mine with big thick socks for dry approaches but it just doesn't fill the boot well enough.

I highly recommend using a very thin sock between your foot and your neosock. It makes things much more comfortable, especially on the dry approaches & exits. So perhaps plan to try them on with that in there too. I've done trips upward of 30 miles in neosocks with that liner sock, much of it dry, and although it wasn't as nice as a regular hiking boot and socks, it was quite tolerable. In the future I'll be sure to use something like my 5.10 Camp Fours for that kind of thing though. They have the exact same sole as the Canyoneers but are 10x more comfy to hike in. I only use my Canyoneers for the wettest of the wet now or if the water is expected to be super cold.

Don't be surprised if the canyoneers are pretty tough to get on. It's a flaw in the design, I think. The opening for your foot is too small, but once you jam it in there, it fits just right. I've seen a lot of people struggle to get them on at trailheads, using carabiners and things to help pull them on. Point is, be more concerned about the fit once they're on rather than the fit getting them on.

FWIW, my typical shoe size is 12 and I wear a 13 in canyoneers. My first pair of canyoneers I went with a 14 and they were a bit spacious. I feel like a 13.5 would be best with my current neosocks as I'm having a really hard time getting them on lately. Probably just need a thinner pair though.

And on the SARs, I wouldn't bother. The key difference is a steel toe and I've heard from people that use them that it can be pretty uncomfortable.

Yep, what Nick said.

My experience with them overall has been great, but only after some serious customization, since I bought them too large (I wear an 11.5 in normal shoes and tried the 12.5 in the Canyoneers). Basically, length-wise they were okay with a thin smartwool and neo-sock combo, but there was a ton of space vertically--way too roomy. To remedy that I added an 1/8" Bontex shim and these thicker insoles to make them more snug (the stock insoles are pathetic). I also had to add a couple more notches to the straps. Now they fit like a glove...errr, a boot. In retrospect I would have gone only a half size up. Definitely worth trying them on in-store first!

Due to my location I have always had to buy these shoes online and have gotten pretty lucky. I generally wear and 8.5 shoe and occasionally a 9 depending on the make of the shoe. With the Canyoneers I went with the .5 size larger than normal and got the size 9. I have never felt like they were too tight or compressed my feet excessively. I swap out with light to medium weight hiking socks for dry canyons and 2mm neo's for wet canyons or a double 2mm sock for winter wet. I have also used thick wool in winter dry. I have never felt compressed, but have felt loose and floppy with the dry socks on and often times will wear two pair just to fill the void. I am glad that I didn't go with a full size larger.

Kind of a pro on the sizing is if you get it wrong, but it's still usable, they wear out after a lot of hard use and you'll be replacing them eventually and can adjust the size on the next purchase.

I echo the comment on the SAR's. I currently have two pair that I bought to try out. I thought the Steel Toe would be more durable and last longer and give me more protection. Protection is probably does, but that's it. They are uncomfortable and cause a lot of sore spots on my toes after a day of stemming and squeezing through a canyon. I also find that it is harder to catch purchase on the rock with different moves because the steel toe doesn't allow the toe compartment to bend and push against the rock. Once I wear out the two pair I have, I won't be buying another SAR.

Canyonbug - do you use any other canyon shoes like the Camp Fours when you are doing dryer North Wash type canyons?
Nick the only other shoe I have ever tried is the La Sportiva Exum River. I didn't like this shoe much at all. The support was minimal and the traction seemed very low grade compared to the 5.10 Canyoneer. I have pretty well been sold on the 5.10 since. I love the support on the feet and ankles, the drainage and most definitely the grip and I use them in wet or dry canyons. They stick to the sandstone very well. I haven't tried anything else, maybe some of the new shoes would be comparable.

My 5.10 campfours's are 11.5's and they feel a tiny TINY bit small when hiking downhill so I've always thought my next C4's will be 12's. When I purchased my Canyoneers I took the above advice and went with a 12.5 and they were HUGE! Luckily Out N Back in Orem carriers a lot of canyoneering gear so I headed down there to try on a 12... also WAY too big. I ended up with a 11.5 because it fit perfectly with a pair of smartwool and neo socks. With that being said I highly suggest trying them on locally.

I've never had any issues getting them on or off. After reading that I got mine out and tired them on and they went right on with out any issues. Maybe its because I've been sliding my feet into ski and snowboard boots so my opinion of whats hard to get on or off is slightly different than everyone else.

I think it's more likely that feet are all just quite a bit different, so everyone's experience has a tendency to vary a lot more than with other gear. It's why I'm hesitant to ever recommend a hiking boot to someone else, it all just depends on how it's built compared to your foot. Definitely one of those things to try on first if you have the opportunity, with the socks and neosocks you intend to wear with them.

Canyoneers in particular seem to very much have a love/hate thing going on. They either work for you and are brilliant, or they are painfully terrible. Unfortunately, my experience falls under the latter.

I just can't figure out a way to get those huge floppy boots to hug my feet right. The neoprene seam that is about ankle high rubs on my ankle and tendons, and causes my feet to hurt like crazy. The two buckle system is never adequate for getting it laced up right, and they are uncomfortable for anything more than a few miles. I've probably gone through 5 pairs of canyoneers, and if they fit right, they are absolutely the best canyon shoe, great traction, fairly durable, easy to manipulate in cold water, drain well, etc... But I can't get over the fact they feel like I'm wearing razorblades on my ankles.

For semi-dry canyons, I'm completely sold on using the other 5.10 models. I really like the savant, but they are fragile, so you have to preemptively seam seal all the stitching (should do that on canyoneers too, extends their life a long ways.) The savant wears like a normal hiking shoe, is much more comfortable, and drains quickly, with the exact same sole as the canyoneer. Rumor is the savant is no longer available too.

For very dry canyons, you can't beat the Camp4. But it's leather, and if it gets wet you have all sorts of other issues. But they are durable, comfortable, sticky, and awesome.

I've also got a pair of the new Adidas Hydropros. I love almost everything about them, except that the lacing system and zipper fails when it is really sandy and there isn't water around to rinse them. Also, the traction is not as good as 5.10s. But, they fit my foot far better and overall seem like they will be quite durable. Probably a great choice for Zion-type canyons.