3 or 4 night trip ideas - CO, WY

Wanderlust073

I've got three guys coming out first week of September to go backpacking.

My original plan was to go up to the Winds, but they are flying in late Sunday night and leaving Friday. So there's really only Monday - Thursday to work with without jeopardizing their flight out. To me that makes the Winds less appealing because it looks like a good 9-10 hour day just to get to a trailhead up there from where I'm at in Colorado. Flights are booked, so it is what it is.

Two are flatlanders, reasonably fit. One has minimal experience, and I really don't know what experience the other one has. I'm assuming minimal backcountry experience for him as well. My other friend is local here and can take care of himself. He's also a medic.

Things I've thought of so far:

- Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop (might be too much for them? people zoo Labor Day week?)

- Cross Creek-Fall Creek loop in the Holy Cross Wilderness (would really like to be able to link them to some blog/pictures of the loop though, and this one seems to be off the web as far as that goes)

- Titcomb Basin out and back in the Winds

And I've got a couple other in Colorado on my list.

Does anyone have some other ideas I could check out? I'm open to other states as well, but again the drive time is a big factor.

Go climb Longs. You can do it in one day, but it will feel like three, and you can spend the other two days in a bar on Pearl St. talking about it. :)

But seriously, how about a nice trek in RMNP?

Go climb Longs. You can do it in one day, but it will feel like three, and you can spend the other two days in a bar on Pearl St. talking about it. :)

But seriously, how about a nice trek in RMNP?

Theres the continental divide loop in there but I figured permits for a holiday week less than a month out would be a pipe dream.

I've got three guys coming out first week of September to go backpacking.

My original plan was to go up to the Winds, but they are flying in late Sunday night and leaving Friday. So there's really only Monday - Thursday to work with without jeopardizing their flight out. To me that makes the Winds less appealing because it looks like a good 9-10 hour day just to get to a trailhead up there from where I'm at in Colorado. Flights are booked, so it is what it is.

Two are flatlanders, reasonably fit. One has minimal experience, and I really don't know what experience the other one has. I'm assuming minimal backcountry experience for him as well. My other friend is local here and can take care of himself. He's also a medic.

Things I've thought of so far:

- Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop (might be too much for them? people zoo Labor Day week?)

- Cross Creek-Fall Creek loop in the Holy Cross Wilderness (would really like to be able to link them to some blog/pictures of the loop though, and this one seems to be off the web as far as that goes)

- Titcomb Basin out and back in the Winds

And I've got a couple other in Colorado on my list.

Does anyone have some other ideas I could check out? I'm open to other states as well, but again the drive time is a big factor.

What a coincidence. I'm going back to Cross Creek-Fancy Pass-Holy Cross City-Fall Creek Pass at the end of August. This was my first backpacking trip in 1975. Before Wilderness designation.
I found a lot of information online for the area including a trip report here at Backcountrypost.
A friend and I are taking 2 cars. One at Halfmoon and the other at Cross Creek TH. We'll go up Cross Creek and out at Halfmoon. A night at Holy Cross City if the timing works out right.
Have a great trip!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll go up Cross Creek and out at Halfmoon.

There's supposed to be a way to make a loop from Fall Creek and Cross Creek trails where you enter on the one and come out on the other about 50 feet away from where you began.

I don't have the patience to be a vacation planner. I think I'm just going to present two options and let the weather decide for us, lol.