2024 Permits/Lotteries

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
Today's the day for YNP backcountry lottery results, so that made me want to check and see how everyone fared if they put in this year. And also if you've put in for other backcountry, river, etc. permits elsewhere, how those have gone. Let's hear it!

After not getting a spot last year, I managed to get April 5 to reserve permits this year. I didn't have high hopes going into it. Probably going to use it for our annual Bechler trip since some of those spots fill up faster.

Managed to get an April 1st Yellowstone spot that'll be wasted on a low competition trip... my wife got April 15th, which I'm sure we'll use, too.

No other permitted trips on the calendar this year, I don't think. But I do have my shuttle/flight reservations for Gates of the Arctic locked down now, too!

I had meant to withdraw my application for Yellowstone because we decided to try the Holy Cross Wilderness this fall. We ended up getting April 4. I stuck out in the Glacier lottery.

Me & my hiking buddy both lost out in the Glacier lottery.

Planning a group trip to Yellowstone in August; 2 of our group struck out, I got April 7 & another person got April 3. Looks like I'll be in Yellowstone twice this year.

Successful my nephew and I in the Glacier lottery. I got April 30 (last day) but my nephew April 14.

After going 0 for the group last year. We had one hit this year on April 9th. All we did last year was move our trip back a few weeks and we were able to still get some good campsites. We went in late Sept.

Not a lottery, but it felt like it. I managed to get two nights in the Lodgepole campground in SEKI before a 5 night trip with my oldest. The actual backpacking permit was easy since very few people use the Alta trail.

My other big trips for the summer are looking like 5ish nights in the Winds and then 8ish nights in the Teton Wilderness. Yay for no permits needed :)

I got April 11th. After not getting an opportunity last year, I was nervous this year. But I’m happy I got something!

Not a lottery, but it felt like it. I managed to get two nights in the Lodgepole campground in SEKI before a 5 night trip with my oldest. The actual backpacking permit was easy since very few people use the Alta trail.

My other big trips for the summer are looking like 5ish nights in the Winds and then 8ish nights in the Teton Wilderness. Yay for no permits needed :)
We had a time getting permits for Kearsarge to Whitney, but we did get in. Hiking in a day earlier than we wanted, so it'll be a rough few days adjusting to the altitude. We'll actually be out in time to spend a few days up in Yosemite after, scored a couple of campground sites there, which was unexpected.

I have April 6 for Glacier. I’m using it to try and piece together part of a CDT route through the park, so hopefully there will be some sites available still in the mid to late June timeframe.

We got permits for Paria Canyon in late May. Hopefully conditions will be good in Buckskin

I got my spot in the YNP Loterry on April 22 at 11 am. I'm not sure what will be available by then. Planning on taking a trip Mid June - picked a more popular month because I thought I might have to cross Hellroaring.

Managed to get an April 1st Yellowstone spot that'll be wasted on a low competition trip... my wife got April 15th, which I'm sure we'll use, too.

No other permitted trips on the calendar this year, I don't think. But I do have my shuttle/flight reservations for Gates of the Arctic locked down now, too!
System is broken. Sure am glad we're getting that famous for-profit company efficiency. :rolleyes: No spots available for any site on any date. And only 98 minute wait for customer service!

Edit: I never bothered waiting for customer service, but I did log in this evening to check and was able to book. Good news, I guess.

Last edited:
System is broken. Sure am glad we're getting that famous for-profit company efficiency. :rolleyes: No spots available for any site on any date. And only 98 minute wait for customer service!

Let's hope they have it fixed by April 26th so that I can lick up the table scraps. :mad:

Let's hope they have it fixed by April 26th so that I can lick up the table scraps. :mad:
If they think this kind of shit will do anything but encourage me to skirt restrictions, they are sorely mistaken. Even my kids know what stealth camping is. ;)

Ooh... and if you don't maintain activity on the CS screen, they'll reset your wait timer. What kind of activity exactly? I'm in a 90 minute virtual line... :lol: