2008 Black Lake in the Uintas

BrettCottrell

Brett Cottrell
First Post:

I've been over Rocky Sea Pass in the Uintas six times, most recently in 2009. Suggestion: Never go over Rocky Sea Pass two weeks after getting giardia in Costa Rica. I know it sounds fun, and you're probably tempted, but don't.

My wife and I started at the Highline Trailhead and spent the first night at Carolyn Lake, about 6.5 miles in. The next day we made it to Black Lake, where we spent two nights before heading out. On the way back we stayed the night on the Highline Trail on the eastern most creek that comes out of Naturalist Basin (from the huge meadow directly east of Everman Lake).

We had planned to do my FAVORITE day hike in the Uintas, the trail from Rosalie Lake to Helen Lake. If you haven't done this hike, you should. You skirt the base of Ostler Peak and look down on the world...But, we didn't do that, because we were too exhausted from our giardia. Did I mention giardia? Don't get it. If you do, get it in Costa Rica, that helps take the sting away...

As usual, Black Lake was fantastic. The DWR maps always say it gets heavy usage. And I suppose it does, from mosquitoes. I've camped there six times and have had the lake to myself every time. Mosquitoes excepted. Plus, the fishing is always great. It's like shooting fish in a barrel, but not shooting and without the barrel, pretty much just the fish.

[picasa]https://picasaweb.google.com/bsubrett/BackcountryUinta2008#slideshow/5846467915064694530[/picasa]

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Great trip report! I've also camped at Black Lake a few times and quite liked it. Still haven't been up to the Rosalie area, only up to Lightning and Helen. It's on the list!

Nice report! I actually got giardia as a kid while backpacking with my dad in the Uintas. So much for mountain spring water being safe to drink untreated.:eek: This area is on my must see list. I can't wait to get back up to the Uintas this summer!

Last edited:
...like a spot up at Uinta Lake for an awesome view and even Gladays Lake. I need to get back there.

Uintah/Margie/Rosalie is on my definitely going to-do list for this summer. I've hiked the upper Rock Creek trail from Rocky Sea to Rosalie and on to Gladys/Helen one time and want to go back and stay in the area around Rosalie for a couple of days.

I hear that there is a cutoff trail directly from Rocky Sea to Uintah lake, are you at all familiar with that? And if so, would you be willing to share some beta? Thanks!

- DAA

I hear that there is a cutoff trail directly from Rocky Sea to Uintah lake, are you at all familiar with that? And if so, would you be willing to share some beta? Thanks!

- DAA

We have taken a shortcut a few times and found carrins along the way to help guide us. However it was a little tree hoping in some spots. However it was faster for sure. I haven't been that way in about 10 years though.
Untitled-1.jpg

Cool. Thanks!

Thinking I'll probably stick to the main trail to get there and try this on the way out.

- DAA

Great trip report! I've also camped at Black Lake a few times and quite liked it. Still haven't been up to the Rosalie area, only up to Lightning and Helen. It's on the list!

Lightning and Helen are great, but the trail from Rosalie over to Helen is as great a hike as any in the uintas. Here's a picture from the top of the trail below Ostler right before you descend to Helen. I think it's from 1998.
Helen Lake.jpg

Lightning and Helen are great, but the trail from Rosalie over to Helen is as great a hike as any in the uintas. Here's a picture from the top of the trail below Ostler right before you descend to Helen. I think it's from 1998.
View attachment 8248

Hey, that's me!

I don't know what it is about this basin, but the few times I have spent time there I find myself never wanting to leave. The memories, the emotions, all of it has combined to create this part of the world where my spiritual center yearns to be.

Oh, and fishing is usually great regardless of the lake. Black Lake in particular. The loop above Gladys that drops down into Helen and Lightning, and then curls around over to Reconnaissance, Boot and Doug may add many miles to a hike, but the hike is well worth it.