10 Years of BCP

Nick

-
I just realized something. Today is the 5-year anniversary of Backcountry Post becoming the community/forum format that it is now where people can post their trips and interact. And later this year is the 10-year anniversary of when I first bought the domain and created the first site. I'm a little behind in planning, but that seems like we should celebrate somehow. Maybe a new design this year, maybe some giveaways from sponsors. Either way, thanks for making this place wonderful, everyone. It would really suck and would probably have been dead years ago without all of you coming on and posting your experiences.

For old time's sake, here's mostly what the site looked like back in May 2008, courtesy of the Wayback Machine internet archives. It's a little broken - missing header links, missing an image and a box around the logo, but you get the idea. https://web.archive.org/web/20080501165354/http://www.backcountrypost.com/

upload_2017-1-17_20-39-6.png

As ugly as that is, I was proud to have hand-coded the whole thing from scratch back in 2007. It was my first big project after a web design program I took at the University of Utah. Nowadays we get to rely on much better programmers to make the foundation of the site so all I have to do is pretty it up a bit and maintain it. "Ah, technology", indeed!

You've come a long way, baby!

Thanks to you, oh admin! You have created and maintained a site we can all be proud of and proud to contribute to. I realize there are some people that feel like the site is too renegade in one way or another but I truly believe the vast majority of us appreciate the open, sharing nature of the site without judgement or criticism. We have all have gravitated to here because of, or have experienced elsewhere, sites that are critical of others or newbies or people that come to espouse strong political views.

It is the climate of the site and the sharing nature and respect of all of our members for the outdoors, the environment and each other that keeps me coming back. Well done, Nicholas!

Last edited:
Congratulations.
Thanks for starting up a most excellent site. This is one of my favorite places to visit almost daily. I've gotten some great information thru out the years. Definitely help make many a trip (to mostly Utah/ Arizona) special. The people who post on here are extremely helpful... and make this site a great environment for trips and gear, and seeing places you hope one day you might get to. One of the few forums people don't get petty and fight over meaningless points of view.
Keep it up Nick you're doing great!!!

Super nice guy. Great site. I see BCP as having something for everyone interested in the outdoors. You could be looking for a car camping spot near Moab or a CDT thru hiker searching for side trips in the Wind River Range. BCP has something to offer people of all levels. It even made Skurka's short list.

@Nick I would just like to say congratulations and add my appreciation for creating BCP. I know what it takes to maintain a labor of love like this, not just the time and money you so generously contribute to making it happen, but particularly where you take an active role in interacting with all of us. These things do not go un-noticed and I thank you for an excellent site!

You've come a long way, baby!

Thanks to you, oh admin! You have created and maintained a site we can all be proud of and proud to contribute to. I realize there are some people that feel like the site is too renegade in one way or another but I truly believe the vast majority of us appreciate the open, sharing nature of the without judgement or criticism. We have all have gravitated to here because of, or have experienced elsewhere, sites that are critical of others or newbies or people that come to espouse strong political views.

It is the climate of the site and the sharing nature and respect of all of our members for the outdoors, the environment and each other that keeps me coming back. Well done, Nicholas!

What @Artemus said. I have appreciated your generosity in sharing some very cool backcountry spots.
Cheers!

A good site and community. I ended up going on a couple great trips because of this site last year and probably a couple more this year. and there's great inspiration for photography here. thanks for keeping the place in order nick!

Dang it guys. It's the community! But thanks!

I'll echo Nick's and every one else's statements regarding how great the community here is, and how that's what makes this site unique.

But if you don't know it @Nick , you're the one responsible for fostering this community, and deserve all the due thanks and credit for that.

Yes, thank you @Nick. Couldn't agree more with all the comments above.

Thanks Nick! I remember the day it popped up 5 years ago. Still enjoy the site as much today as back then. Shared some adventures with a few of you. Truly enjoy the inspiration to get outdoors and keep exploring.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Congratulations! I remember the old BCP, I found it while googling "Coyote Gulch", which would have been about 2011. I read a few trip reports and exchanged a few e-mails with you about it. This site has really turned into a great resource, and a great place to meet like-minded people.

Thanks for all your hard work, @Nick !

I'm new here, but I have to chime in ... this is a great site, and I'm really glad I found it. Lots of information, but more importantly, a really positive tone that doesn't survive on a lot of Internet forums. It says a lot about the people who hang out here, as well as the folks who put the site together and keep it running.

Last edited:
Playing catch up here, I'm going to echo what I wrote on @Ben's thread that was inspired by this one:

I love the community here, the helpful insight and information from the members, and the reputation it has for respectful and civil dialogue. And of course, there is what I think is the bread and butter for this forum, the convergence of so many amazing trip reports full of great eye candy and great stories.

Keep it up @Nick! You've done a terrific job with this forum.

I also want to add that I have had the opportunity to meet up with a few different folks and went on to enjoy some memorable and amazing trips all because of our mutual membership here.