Yucca Brevifolia is blooming!

Artemus

I walk
Screen Shot 2013-04-11 at 10.05.48 PM.png
My esteemed horticulturist friend, lostlandscape's, favorite organism in the world and one of mine as well, the Joshua Tree is experiencing a once in a generation mass blooming across the country.

Read the report at the Trib here. The reporter in the video cracks me up. I have been to the planet's largest forest, on the Cima Dome in Mojave National Reserve displayed in the video and it is worth a visit even outside of the bloom to walk the world's largest and densest forests of Yucca Brevifolia.

How's about some of you Dixie-environment members go out to the Utah Hills and capture all of us some historical pics? Beware it is near the end of the bloom.

WOW. If only I would've known....this would totally be worth a sick day....or two :) The Yucca moths must be in heaven right now...

What Tim means is the this Yucca is very unusual in that it's pollination, already rare since it blooms so rarely is done mostly by moths not birds, nor bats, nor bees.

Michael, it might be worth a quick stop off in the Utah Hills/Beaver Dam mtns west of George to see if they are still blooming as you make your way from Vegas....

I've seen dozens of Joshua Trees in bloom when I was in the Mojave Desert Preserve in mid March. It was absolutely impressive.
And at night you see all these funny moths, I think kind of a hummingbird moth swirling around the flowers.

Back