What are these?

Nick

-
What are these little black things hanging onto rocks in a stream? I've seen them before, but never really thought about what they are until my last trip. These were in a spring-fed stream in upper Reflection Canyon.

Click for much larger
IMG_0397.jpg

That totally crossed my mind, but I ruled it out because the eggs I've seen from toads in the creeks are bigger than these (but maybe they're just balled up?). Also, these were attached to the rocks. With tadpoles I've always seen them on the move (they were also present in this stream).

salt-creek-canyonlands-13-jpg.22805

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. I couldn't find anything definitive, but I did find an article that said some tadpoles in streams have the ability to latch onto rocks with their mouths and graze off the algae.

Looks like big round heads with a tapered tail. All signature characteristics of tadpoles. If you found an article that confirms tadpoles can secure themselves on rocks like that to feed, then I think it's even more likely that what's being observed in the pic.

I'd say they are leeches too.

I'm really leaning that way now too. Seems like tadpoles would be more uniform in size and shape and the tails would be a little skinnier and more defined. If those are leeches...wow! Ick! :eek:

As a kid I used to make money by catching leeches and selling them to a doctor on the Rez who was a big fisherman. I can't tell how big those are but for some reason they look a lot smaller than the leeches I caught. But if you look close at the enlarged image it looks like they are anchoring to the rocks with their "mouths". That is how they attach to their hosts too.

Tadpoles are shaped distinctively different. Here are some in a stone pool in Indian creek.

Primordial640.jpg

While hiking in Iceberg Canyon last weekend, we noticed quite a few of these curious things in the stream. There were the usual tadpoles and toads around but I have no idea what this spotted thing is. It was about the size of a pencil eraser, maybe a bit bigger. Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_5657.jpg

Now those midge flies I've used fly fishing make a lot more sense! I think Will nailed it with the Sunburst/Spotted Diving Beatle. Looks like a perfect match.

Back