Walker Ranch Loop, Boulder, CO

muir_mountain

Wilderness Seeker
Let me start by saying the 7.8 mile Walker Ranch Loop is my favorite hike in the Boulder area... and I've literally been on them all. Also, May is the absolute BEST month to hike it, because the high Front Range still has snow, the flowers along the trail are just starting to bloom, the afternoon thunderstorm cycle hasn't kicked in yet, and the weather isn't too hot. So if you'd like to visit Boulder, go in May. :)

The Walker Ranch Loop is directly west of Boulder in a large, entirely open-space (protected state land) area called Walker Ranch. The ranch was an old homestead, and you can see old abandoned buildings and wagons, especially on the nearby Meyers-Homestead trail. Also, the Walker Ranch area was the site of a large fire over 20 years ago, so a few portions go through burn areas (fine by me, because it really opens up the view).

There are 3 main trailheads to access the loop, and one of them is conveniently located 5 minutes from my house!
I chose to do the loop clockwise (if you're biking the loop, go counterclockwise because of a steep stair section).
ENJOY!!!!

Old ruins right near the trailhead.
DSC05206.jpg
Pine tree up close:
DSC05208.jpg
The mountain in the background is the backside of South Boulder Peak, the highest foothill mountain that towers above Boulder. Descending to South Boulder Creek...
DSC05213.jpg
Another view of South Boulder Peak. A sliver of Bear Peak is visible in the dead center of the photo.
DSC05214.jpg
A man flyfishing in South Boulder Creek. The creek flows out the bottom of the Gross Reservoir, and supplies Denver with much of its water.
DSC05217.jpg
The trail follows South Boulder Creek for a peaceful half-mile.
DSC05220.jpg
Climbing out of the South Boulder Canyon and into the heart of Walker Ranch. There are fantastic rock outcroppings everywhere.
DSC05226.jpg
That is Mount Thorodin in the very background. That peak is the tallest "foothill" peak east of the high Front Range.
DSC05231.jpg
Flowers were starting to bloom everywhere. I wasn't able to get decent pictures of the smaller ones, but there are well over a dozen different species along the trail.
DSC05237.jpg
A reminder that this area burned not too long ago...
DSC05240.jpg
Looking down into Eldorado Canyon (where South Boulder Creek eventually flows to). "Eldo" is one of the greatest rock-climbing and bouldering spots in the US.
DSC05244.jpg
Backside of South Boulder Peak again. As you can see, the mountain ridge flows down into Eldorado canyon. Just for reference, the rock face just above and left of the canyon is known as the Rincon Wall, and is 500 feet tall.
DSC05249.jpg
A wonderful bench along the trail, dedicated to a lost loved one.
DSC05250.jpg
Now at the bottom of the canyon again... it's all uphill from here back to the car. But it's also the most beautiful section.
DSC05255.jpg
A bridge over troubled water... :p
DSC05257.jpg
It's impossible to capture the narrow section right after the above photo. The canyon is beautiful, and there are some nice places for lunch... Here is the creek upstream from the narrow section.
DSC05261.jpg
Now well above the creek, looking back at Eldorado Canyon. I feel so lucky to live here!! I love the Walker Ranch Loop because it offers a different and sometimes more impressive perspective of the famous foothills in Boulder.
DSC05265.jpg
Nearly at the my starting trailhead. The Rio Grande train pictured here goes all the way west through the Moffatt Tunnel and under the Continental Divide!
DSC05279.jpg
Parting selfie: What a wonderful hike!
DSC05282.jpg

Yeah, South Boulder, Eldorado Canyon, and Walker Ranch are easily the most scenic places around, in my opinion. Maybe you should do some more exploring up there!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
balzaccom Walker Fire near yosemite Trip Planning 1
TrektheWorld Heil Ranch Hiking and Hammocking Hiking & Camping 2
DoTurtle First trip Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom Trip Planning 5
SKLund Ski Hi Ranch footbridge Trip Planning 1
S Hiking spots in between Ruby Ranch and Mineral Botom Trip Planning 3
Stephanie Ruby ranch to mineral bottom Trip Planning 4
S Wts mystery ranch 3dap foliage Gear 3
Deadeye008 Robbers Roost Ranch Carvings Trip Planning 6
uintahiker Hardware Ranch Everything Else 0
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
D Grand Teton Cascade Loop Trip Planning 1
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
randakag Rawah Wilderness "Lollipop" Loop - September 2023 Backpacking 7
Ugly Oh Mother! A Mountain Loop Backpacking 12
Jackson Lollipop Loop in the Pintlers Backpacking 6
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
RockyMntCol Cloud Peak Wilderness Loop Trip Planning 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
scatman The Van Cott Loop - April 15, 2023 Hiking & Camping 15
Kullaberg63 Loop on and around the Fold Backpacking 13
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
scatman Mount Wire Loop - 2003 and 2016? Hiking & Camping 13
TheMountainRabbit Pitchstone/Bechler Loop (Yellowstone NP) - September 2022 Backpacking 17
scatman Teton Wilderness Loop - August 6, 2022 Backpacking 27
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
Kerrie at Thru We Go Grand Canyon Backpack/Packraft Loop at New Hance Backpacking 11
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
M Kannah Creek Basin loop, Grand Junction CO Backpacking 6
T Snow Canyon Loop Hiking & Camping 1
fossana Yellow Rock, Pollock Arch, Hackberry Canyon loop (GSENM) Hiking & Camping 10
scatman The Van Cott Loop - February 13, 2022 Hiking & Camping 9
Wesley Cheaha Freezing Out and Back Loop FAIL Backpacking 12
T Harris Wash/Silver Falls/Choprock/Fence Canyon Loop MLK weekend 2022 Backpacking 8
scatman Grandeur Peak Loop - December 4, 2021 Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
scatman Mount Wire and Mount Van Cott Lollipop Loop (or the Foothill Follies) - November 6. 2021 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
stretch Grand Canyon Loop: Thunder River -> Tapeats -> Kanab -> Sowats Backpacking 22
Bob Wind Rivers - Lee Lake Loop Backpacking 6
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka Loop (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - August 2021 Backpacking 8
scatman Snake River Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - August 8, 2021 Backpacking 45
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 56