Think I can get 50 miles out of West, Middle, and Amethyst?

Parma

@parma26
How difficult do you think it would be to get a 50 miler out of exploring the West (Kermsuh Lake), Middle (Ryder and McPheters Lakes), and Amethyst (Ostler and Amethyst Lakes) Basins?
I'm thinking of making each basin a stop and doing some day hikes in each basin too.
50 miler worthy?

I've been to those areas and my gut tells me (without looking at a map) that it would be tough to get 50 miles out of that area. Maybe if you bag 4 or 5 peaks! =) We'll see what others say...

ya, the more i look at it, 30 miles seems more like what it would end up.

ya, the more i look at it, 30 miles seems more like what it would end up.
I once went from Amethyst to Kermsuh and then out. I think it was between 20-25. Throwing in Ryder and a peak bag and I think you could get 40.

Agreed. It would be a challenge to string together 50 miles up there without retracing a bunch of footsteps. I've only done Middle Basin. Hiking up to that saddle west of Ryder gets you an amazing view of both sides. You can bag Hayden Peak from there. I plan to do it next time I get a chance to get up there again. Apparently there's a route that can get you into Middle Basin from Highline TH by going straight up to that same saddle from the west side that shaves a ton of mileage from the traditional Christmas Meadows TH approach. I'm hoping to hit up Naturalist Basin this June and get up on the ridge above there to have a look down into Middle Basin and see what a route in/out of Middle Basin would look like. If you could extend a loop going over one of those ridges from Middle Basin and back into Middle Basin with the other, taking in Naturalist Basin and Scudder lake in between, you could then probably get closer to 50 miles out of it.

Reactions: Ben
Agreed. It would be a challenge to string together 50 miles up there without retracing a bunch of footsteps. I've only done Middle Basin. Hiking up to that saddle west of Ryder gets you an amazing view of both sides. You can bag Hayden Peak from there. I plan to do it next time I get a chance to get up there again. Apparently there's a route that can get you into Middle Basin from Highline TH by going straight up to that same saddle from the west side that shaves a ton of mileage from the traditional Christmas Meadows TH approach. I'm hoping to hit up Naturalist Basin this June and get up on the ridge above there to have a look down into Middle Basin and see what a route in/out of Middle Basin would look like. If you could extend a loop going over one of those ridges from Middle Basin and back into Middle Basin with the other, taking in Naturalist Basin and Scudder lake in between, you could then probably get closer to 50 miles out of it.

^^^ good idea, you may even be able to skip Kermsuh and still get 50 doing this. Depending on how much of Natural basin you did.

Mostly just thinking out loud for myself but Grandview to Christmas Meadows would be an awesome point to point as well! That shortcut from Highline to to Middle basins looks pretty mean with a pack on, but I know its very popular so must not be too bad.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
napatony13 1100 Miles, 43 Days, Summits All 58 14ers in Colorado General Discussion 4
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 35
Yvonne Hiking Yellowstone - 100 miles the Second Trip Planning 21
RyanP 3-day trip ideas (15-20 miles or so) for late May/early June with good water Trip Planning 9
Born to Hike Backpacking Northern Windriver Range, solo 60+ miles, 5 days, mid September 2018 Backpacking 17
tomcat32 Weminuche Wandering- 95 miles Backpacking the Weminuche Wilderness Backpacking 7
Jackson Backcountry Vehicle Miles Per Year General Discussion 8
isleroyaleguy 170 Miles in the Sierra Nevada Backpacking 22
balzaccom Cycling miles....5,000 for the year Everything Else 9
steve Wind Rivers Traverse - Backpacking 90 miles in the Wind Rivers Backpacking 102
Parma Most Miles Hiked in a Day General Discussion 31
hikerboy maine-100 miles wilderness- a week in the woods Backpacking 6
WasatchWill 100 Miles From Nowhere General Discussion 5
steve Urban Paddling: 3 miles on the Jordan River in Taylorsville, UT On The Water 3
natylka 100 miles of Highline trail in Uintas Trip Planning 39
natylka 23 miles of GrandDaddy Basin and Four Lakes Backpacking in July Backpacking 2
natylka Backpacking: Hurricane Wash into Coyote Gulch of 26 miles back in May Backpacking 3
natylka 24 Miles Weekend Backpacking at Red Castle in August Backpacking 9
natylka Hiking 25 miles at Capitol reef for the weekend. Hiking & Camping 19
Blake Merrell 50 miles of High Uinta Majesty! - A dream come true. Backpacking 24
WasatchWill Park City to Provo - 65 miles in 4 days Backpacking 22
Christian 1,764 Miles Across Utah and Arizona Hiking & Camping 6
DAA 5 nights, 50 miles in the Uintas Backpacking 27
Go-deep North Ogden divide over Mount Ogden to 29th T/H 26 miles Backpacking 3
abstractreality Exercise and preparing for mountain miles? General Discussion 6
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
Rockskipper Outlook poor for fires in the West General Discussion 8
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Trip Planning 9
scatman Grandeur Peak, The West Slope Approach - October 31, 2020 Hiking & Camping 7
BJett Dolly Sods Wilderness - West Virginia Backpacking 17
McKee80 Roaring Plains West Wilderness Backpacking 8
Blair Ballard West Temple 3.7.20 Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Bikepacking West Desert Trip Planning 16
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4