The Wetherton/Beverly debate

I've obtained additional information on this, including the location of the final shelter. I believe it could support my theory that the women were attempting to circle Mount Watson to reach the Long Lake trail.

I'll have more to say about this next summer after I've surveyed the site.

Very very interested in what you find. I've been wanting to find the location also.

I have been waiiiiiiiiittttting for years. lol

No seriously, I am excited to see what you found. Should you decide to not publicly disclose, it's probably for the best

It's crazy to look at that boulder, knowing what happened there, and seeing it in it's setting now on a sunny summer day. Much more so in person, I would imagine.

@ashergrey I understand your not being comfortable sharing
info publicly.

Wondering if you would be comfortable sharing what you've
learned privately?

What you have written here about these two and Garrett Bardsley
have been significant to me. I have used them to teach
my kids and the scouts I work with. I met Kevin Bardsley earlier
ths year and asked him a lot of questions. While he was accomidating
in discussing his son with me, it was apparent he has regrets that he still feels.
Do you ever get over such a thing? I hope to never find out personally.

The more I think about it, I've got some ideas on why you wouldn't want
to share publicly. So whatever you think appropriate. Thanks for your
work.

@ashergrey I understand your not being comfortable sharing info publicly.

Wondering if you would be comfortable sharing what you've learned privately?

I will share more eventually, but my visit to the final resting place raised some new questions that I need to address before putting the findings into words. Sensitivity to the family is a consideration, but so is the importance of having an accurate idea of what went wrong so that others can make informed decisions in the backcountry.

It will not be possible to disclose what I intend without essentially giving away the location. But that doesn't mean that I'll include the exact GPS coordinates. I believe anyone who visits should invest some effort to research the location, both for their own safety and to appreciate what Carole and Kim encountered.

Back