The NFL thread

@Chuck the Mauler, I don't disagree. The problem is he was accused when he was peaking in the public eye. Many other 'low' profile athletes deal with it, and don't get away with anything. More than anything the 'professional' system, whether it be NFL, MLB, NBA, or the like is disgusting. Look up the comments by Chris Carter (IMO an elite receiver back in his day) telling rookies to get a 'fall guy' for their inevitable mistakes. Nauseating.

I'm glad there's other organized sports fans in the backcountry realm. Maybe one day I'll start an MLB thread...maybe.

Go Cubbies!!!

I'm glad there's some JETS fans out there. I like them too, mainly for the unforgettable butt fumble!

I was at that game unfortunately and I'm still working on blocking it from memory. I left a cozy Thanksgiving dinner early, picked up my friend, ran what felt like 2 miles across the parking lot to get inside, waited in line to pay $9 for a beer, and by the time I made it to my seat at the end of the 1st quarter, it was still 0-0. Phew.. I hadn't missed anything. I had a cold beer, a good seat... all was right with the world. Then before I could even get comfortable, the Pats made it 21-0 by scoring 3 TD's in a span of 52 seconds of playing time. WTF! I hadn't even taken 2 sips of my beer and the game was essentially over. Ohh wait, as if getting scored on 3 times in less than a minute wasn't historic enough, the football Gods had a really good sense of humor that night... I would be privy to witnessing one of the lowest, all-time most embarrassing moments as a Jets fan with my own eyes. The infamous butt fumble. So @Chuck the Mauler, what was that you asked @scatman? How could anyone not like Tom Brady? I could probably write a doctoral dissertation on that very question.

Last edited:
My team is the Steelers even though I have no ties to Pittsburgh. I started watching and following them back when Kordell Stewart was the 'slash'...too bad he never really worked out. Then there was the Bus and coach Cower's chin...
Funny thing is I started liking them back when they were on a downhill slide. I didn't know their history or care. But I can't complain now.

I'm a little different when it comes to disliking. Of course I want beat the trash birds, turds, and bungels head-to-head, however I want them to win everyone else. It just makes the division that much better. More than anything I want a good, competitive game between whomever is playing.

I'm glad there's some JETS fans out there. I like them too, mainly for the unforgettable butt fumble!
Kordell Stewart still fills me with rage.

Signed, a Michigan Wolverines fan

I am what I would call a NFL orphan. I love watching, but I don't have a team. I was a die hard 9ers fan growing up as a kid so they have a special place in my heart but seem like they are a dumpster fire for years at a time in between a couple years of success. My wife likes the Packers so I have started to take a liking to them just by the fact that I watch them a lot. So I have a few teams I mildly root for but don't have 1 team. I do however have teams I hate! The Cowboys, Patriots and the Seahawks are starting to get there.... Seahawks really at no fault of their own, mostly just my annoying bandwagon friends that are fans and on social media!

Kordell Stewart still fills me with rage.

Signed, a Michigan Wolverines fan

Was this due to the CU Hail Mary throw in college (if my memory serves me correctly)? I grew up in Colorado and was a huge (fair weather) Buffaloes fan while they had a good run there for a while...

I became acquainted with the game of football as a young child growing up in Tampa, Florida. I had the opportunity to attend a little youth day camp with the Bucs there one summer and was able to catch a pass from Vinny Testaverde. Needless to say, I've been a Bucs fan ever since. As I got a little older, when the play-offs came around as a kid and my Bucs were nowhere to be seen I took the Cowboys on as a second team to cheer for. Mostly because I liked Troy Aikman and Emmett Smith and the way they played. Then finally, the Bucs got it together and had a nice little run there at the turn of the century. [Sigh]...those were happy times.

Was this due to the CU Hail Mary throw in college (if my memory serves me correctly)? I grew up in Colorado and was a huge (fair weather) Buffaloes fan while they had a good run there for a while...
I don't want to talk about it:stomp:Although it's not even in my top five most traumatic sports moments. Those all involve my Indians.

Me? I'm a Lions fan. Come on.....why not the Lions? It's been just a little over 50 years.

Are you referring to the Bobby Layne curse?

For those unfamiliar . . . .

In 1958, after leading the Lions to 3 NFL Championships and providing Detroit nearly decade of Hall of Fame play, the Lions traded Bobby Layne. Bobby was injured during the last championship season and the Lions thought he was through and wanted to get what they could for him. According to Legend, as he was leaving for Pittsburgh Bobby said that Detroit "would not win for 50 years."

Unfortunately for Lions fans it's getting closer to 60 years of unbelievable mistakes and embarrassments.

My interest in football came from my father, and Pop Warner football growing up in the San Diego area. I was in a program in El Cajon, the coaches were prohibited from having their kids on the team, and we went to the San Diego County championship twice (lost both times). Don Coryell's (future Chargers coach, then coach of the San Diego State Aztecs) son was on our team, and we could get onto the field and into the locker room during halftime. Hearing Coryell give a half time speech was a trip (he had a pronounced lisp). When I was 13 our team was rated #2 in the country, using stats and grades. I rushed for over 800 yards in 7 games in my final year before high school, then I got older and everyone else grew bigger, and I got the shit kicked out of me. That ended my football career.

I also had season tickets to the Chargers for 20 years, so they are my team. It has been tough being a Chargers fan, although watching almost every game Dan Fouts quarterbacked in was a privilege. We saw the immaculate deception, when Dave Casper of the Raiders kicked the frickin ball into the end zone to win with no time left. Referees had to have armed guards to get off the field. Lot's of good times.

@Chuck the Mauler , we're pretty much in the same boat... It's been 58 years for you, 46 years for me... but the bottom line is neither of us has witnessed a Championship in our lifetime, and there's no guarantee we ever will. I've got my share of Yankees championships but those don't fill the void that can only be filled by a Lombardi trophy.

Most World Championships:
  • Green Bay Packers, 13
  • Chicago Bears, 9
  • New York Giants, 8
  • Pittsburgh Steelers, 6
  • Dallas Cowboys, 5
  • San Francisco 49ers, 5
  • Washington Redskins, 5
  • Cleveland Browns, 4
  • Detroit Lions, 4
  • Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts, 4
  • New England Patriots, 4

Most World Championships:
  • Green Bay Packers, 13
  • Chicago Bears, 9
  • New York Giants, 8
  • Pittsburgh Steelers, 6
  • Dallas Cowboys, 5
  • San Francisco 49ers, 5
  • Washington Redskins, 5
  • Cleveland Browns, 4
  • Detroit Lions, 4
  • Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts, 4
  • New England Patriots, 4
'World' championship?!? ;) How about Super Bowl wins? I'm too lazy to look it up...:rolleyes: