Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Nice trail in a couple of those pics!!!!

Upper Kintla Lake in Glacier National Park -- June 2023 -- with @Jeffrey Chandler

I was able to chip away at more new trail miles this summer at Glacier NP. I am up to 403 miles out of 734. Jeff is in a Masters program at the Univ. of Montana!

View attachment 126551
Good for Jeff! Haven't seen much of him around here lately. And look at those flowing locks!

Did you guys take a look at the old relics from the oil drilling at the upper head of (lower) Kintla? I've wanted to go see that for a while but didn't have time to go that far when I went to Kintla a few years ago.

Good for Jeff! Haven't seen much of him around here lately. And look at those flowing locks!

Did you guys take a look at the old relics from the oil drilling at the upper head of (lower) Kintla? I've wanted to go see that for a while but didn't have time to go that far when I went to Kintla a few years ago.
I knew that they had oil activity up that way a hundred years ago but I didn't even think that there might be something to see. We didn't go beyond this photo spot (at the foot of Upper Kintla) as it was over 9 miles just to get here. That oil activity was a main purpose that they built the Inside North Fork Road. Retroactively I choose to believe anything would be buried under thick brush.

I knew that they had oil activity up that way a hundred years ago but I didn't even think that there might be something to see. We didn't go beyond this photo spot (at the foot of Upper Kintla) as it was over 9 miles just to get here. That oil activity was a main purpose that they built the Inside North Fork Road. Retroactively I choose to believe anything would be buried under thick brush.
Haha. I imagine most of it is buried in the brush, but there's actually an old boiler thing that's in the shallow water at the head of the lower lake. It's right near the backcountry campsite, from what I understand.

Here's a photo from another site:
1698335723169.png

A shout-out to good customer service. I returned my Osprey Zenith 105 backpack to have the zipper on the rear compartment fixed. The zipper had become separated from the pack itself, and could not zip the compartment shut anymore. I filled out their online form and sent the pack back to them. They said with their heavy volume it could take 8 - 12 weeks to get the fixed pack back to me. Well, the pack showed up today, and the turnaround time was 4 weeks and 1 day. The repair looks good and the zipper works as intended now. Hidden Creek here we come! :)

03.jpg

Van Cott loop this morning. My first cold weather hike of the season.

01.jpg
Frozen puddle

02.jpg
Van Cott ridgeline

03.jpg
On the old Jeep road now

04.jpg
A brisk morning

05.jpg
Sunflowers hanging on at the end of October

06.jpg
Curlycup Gumweed

07.jpg
Hairy Goldenaster

08.jpg
Sumac

09.jpg
Not may red leaves left this time of year in the foothills

10.jpg
Toadflax

11.jpg
Scatman's hood down below

13.jpg
Some snow

14.jpg
Black Mountain

15.jpg
Why am I not up on that ridge? :)

16.jpg
Sheila, just off the summit

23.jpg

17.jpg
Looing up towards the top of Van Cott from the Red Butte Canyon side of things

18.jpg
I love these pale yellow maple leaves

19.jpg
Fall red

20.jpg
Red Butte

21.jpg
Back at the Sube.

Last edited:
Wheres the snow? doesnt look cold ?

Scatman, now 31 degrees is Not Cold! Maybe chilly yes but not cold. But that wind can make up the difference. Looks like the last storm did not put much snow on the mountains, but we all know winter is coming. Thanks for posting!

By the way... that is Great on the pack. Hidden Crrek is there waiting for you by the way and gorgeous as always. Might be there next summer myself for a good while. And that is IF I do not go on back to Alaska.

Cycled up City Creek Canyon for the 39th year in a row today. Unfortunately, they will be upgrading the water treatment plant in the canyon and the upper half of the canyon will be closed for three years in order to complete the upgrade. So the streak ends at 39. :(

18.jpg

About a month ago with my wife, son and his girlfriend in the Sawatch. Steep choss and blocky ridge scrambling on a little know peak. Recommended

H4ZvRpe.jpg

lCMsZ1i.jpg

Last edited:
We finally graduated from Canyon class 1.0 - at least that’s what it felt like yesterday :) Super happy, nice cool day in Sheiks.

IMG_3619_Original.jpeg

IMG_3621_Original.jpeg

Looking back up, at least two routes through and lets just say we didn’t go back the way we came in, ha!
IMG_3624_Original.jpeg

Looking back at the final descent. Spring was running.
_B092155_Original.jpeg

IMG_3626_Original.jpeg

Back out
_B092365_Original.jpeg

Last edited:
We finally graduated from Canyon class 1.0 - at least that’s what it felt like yesterday :) Super happy, nice cool day in Sheiks.

View attachment 127217

View attachment 127218

Looking back up, at least two routes through and lets just say we didn’t go back the way we came in, ha!
View attachment 127222

Looking back at the final descent. Spring was running.
View attachment 127219

View attachment 127220

Back out
View attachment 127221
Love it! Great work. And honestly hardly remember most of the places in those shots from when I went several years ago. I need to go back.