Album The members of backcountrypost.com

If you have ever hiked with Scat....the out of touch with the pain recepters in his brain is very evident... long mileage days, steep stuff, deadfall, bogs, etc.

I am proud to report that I finished the Carolina Reaper last night with no ill results other than a burning tongue and a runny nose, which took about fifteen minutes to calm down. I must confess that my dad used to feed me little pieces of hot peppers when I was a kid that he grew in his garden, so I've had years of training. Also, back when I did Corndog Day, I'd eat a ghost pepper whole to the delight of those that showed up. This was my first shot at the reaper though. I didn't eat the whole thing at once, but took four days to finish it off. Each piece got a little bigger each day, so last night's was the largest piece. I'm pretty sure I could eat the whole thing, but I'd need a tall glass of milk handy to help me through the pain. :hot:

Ok, I had to see what the Carolina Reaper is all about. Here’s what I found.

As the hottest chili pepper in the world currently, the heat range is listed from 1,400,000 Scoville Heat Units on the Scoville Scale to a blazing 2,200,000. Compared to your average jalapeno pepper, it measures 175 to 880 times hotter. Compare that to a typical jalapeno pepper, which averages about 5,000 Scoville Heat Units, and the hottest Carolina Reaper is up to 440 times hotter. That is crazy hot!

Not only is it the hottest pepper in the world, but it has significant side effects known to no other peppers. Probably the most common one is that the person eating it tends to pass out. Friends and family usually panic when this happens, but if left alone, the victim will eventually come to, though they often suffer lifelong amnesia.

Another notable side effect is that it makes the victim quack like a duck. Usually this stops after the pepper is digested, but some people have been known to have this strange quacklike sound come up at odd times, including in the middle of the night or while doing something where great decorum is called for. If enough reapers are ingested through time, the victim will begin to turn red, and develop bumps all over. This does not go away.

Finally, probably the most serious side effect is when the victim begins to think that eating Reapers is a good idea. At that point, little can be done and dementia soon sets in.

Ok, I had to see what the Carolina Reaper is all about. Here’s what I found.

As the hottest chili pepper in the world currently, the heat range is listed from 1,400,000 Scoville Heat Units on the Scoville Scale to a blazing 2,200,000. Compared to your average jalapeno pepper, it measures 175 to 880 times hotter. Compare that to a typical jalapeno pepper, which averages about 5,000 Scoville Heat Units, and the hottest Carolina Reaper is up to 440 times hotter. That is crazy hot!

Not only is it the hottest pepper in the world, but it has significant side effects known to no other peppers. Probably the most common one is that the person eating it tends to pass out. Friends and family usually panic when this happens, but if left alone, the victim will eventually come to, though they often suffer lifelong amnesia.

Another notable side effect is that it makes the victim quack like a duck. Usually this stops after the pepper is digested, but some people have been known to have this strange quacklike sound come up at odd times, including in the middle of the night or while doing something where great decorum is called for. If enough reapers are ingested through time, the victim will begin to turn red, and develop bumps all over. This does not go away.

Finally, probably the most serious side effect is when the victim begins to think that eating Reapers is a good idea. At that point, little can be done and dementia soon sets in.

I can vouch that they are hot. :hot: I was feeling pretty good again after 20 minutes, with only my tongue and lips still smarting a little bit. After 30 minutes I was back to the normal Scatman. Whatever that is? :D

Too late on the dementia front. That started hitting me about 15 years ago. :) If I remember correctly. :D

Perhaps you can come up with a Skipper Scale to measure Jelly Bellies based upon the various flavors with one being the worst and 2,200,000 being the best?

These look like they might be hot.
Jelly_Belly_Hot.jpg

I can vouch that they are hot. :hot: I was feeling pretty good again after 20 minutes, with only my tongue and lips still smarting a little bit. After 30 minutes I was back to the normal Scatman. Whatever that is? :D

Too late on the dementia front. That started hitting me about 15 years ago. :) If I remember correctly. :D

Perhaps you can come up with a Skipper Scale to measure Jelly Bellies based upon the various flavors with one being the worst and 2,200,000 being the best?

These look like they might be hot.
View attachment 125704
I’m going to have to order a gazillion jelly bellies to test this out. Stay tuned.

So after heading downtown to the farmers' market again this morning, it was time to head up into the foothills to check out the eclipse. No carolina reapers this week @Rockskipper! What is a Scat to do? I've got one left over from last week though. I'm thinking about sending it to @TractorDoc so that he can feed his snappers.

01.jpg
Ready to conquer the Avenue's Twin Peaks

02.jpg
Fall colors are still pretty good.

03.jpg
Toadflax

03b.jpg
The south twin above. We would watch the eclipse from the north twin

04.jpg
Sunflower

05.jpg
Fall colors

05b.jpg
Trail to the top

06.jpg
Sheila matches the fall colors

07.jpg
The final climb

08.jpg
some snow in the Oquirrhs across the valley

09.jpg
Taken on the way up to the north twin summit. We still had about 26 minutes until the maximum of 90%

10.jpg
View down into City Creek, and the ridge I hiked along this past Monday on my way to Grandview

10b.jpg
Looking over at the south twin

11.jpg
Sheila, reaching the summit of the south twin

12.jpg
Getting closer to 90%

13.jpg
Nice shades! :)

14.jpg
Sheila looks a bit too comfortable here. :)

15.jpg
Kind of looks like the eye of a hurricane

16.jpg
At 90%

17.jpg
She gets the chair, I get the pad.

18.jpg
The Canon Rebel XT

19.jpg
My favorite shot of the day - checking out snow covered Grandview Peak, where I was on Monday afternoon

20.jpg
More maples

21.jpg
After the eclipse, we hiked over to the south twin. This shot is looking back at the north twin, with the Dude Benchmark above and
across the canyon.

22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg

26.jpg
Coyote sighting near the trailhead

27.jpg
Back at the Sube

28.jpg
A sleepy Asheville awaits us upon arrival home.

As for next year's eclipse in Ohio on @TractorDoc's farm, this could be big. I'm thinking the next Woodstock potentially. We could be headliners @Rockskipper! How does Scatman and the Rockskipper Gang sound? What shall we play? Country and western? Funk? Soul? The Blues? Bluegrass? Or just plain old rock-n-roll? Joni Mitchell could be righting songs about this cultural event.

Tell Shelia I highly approve of her outfit choice. Bright colors for the win! (Your kilt is not too bad either).

I've got one left over from last week though. I'm thinking about sending it to @TractorDoc so that he can feed his snappers.
Any parcel containing a reaper will be stamped "return to sender." Think along the lines of some Elvis. :)

Nice images of the eclipse. It was cloudy and rainy here all day yesterday. I do not think we would have seen much of anything anyway.

As for next year's eclipse in Ohio on @TractorDoc's farm, this could be big. I'm thinking the next Woodstock potentially. We could be headliners @Rockskipper! How does Scatman and the Rockskipper Gang sound? What shall we play? Country and western? Funk? Soul? The Blues? Bluegrass? Or just plain old rock-n-roll? Joni Mitchell could be righting songs about this cultural event.
Hows about country swing polka?
I'm told hotels in the area have been sold out for the better part of a year. Spring around here can be rather wet and muddy -- it has even snowed in some year's early Aprils. I'd say we have a 50/50 shot of seeing anything due to the weather.

On Saturdays a local radio station plays a nice selection of Polka music in the morning. I used to turn it on at the office before the virus closed weekend hours down (no one wanted to come back after). I bet Hugh has an accordion stashed under a tent or sleeping bag somewhere in his house. . . a little bit of heavy metal grunge polka could be something to think about. :D

Chateau kwc is also in the path of the 2024 eclipse. Chances are good that there will still be snow on the ground here (and I will still be skiing). We have room for a few scalliwags but perhaps the gang would be more comfortable bunking in the horse barn up at our son’s house. They live on a hill with lots of open space so the eclipse viewing would probably be awesome.

Tell Shelia I highly approve of her outfit choice. Bright colors for the win! (Your kilt is not too bad either).

Any parcel containing a reaper will be stamped "return to sender." Think along the lines of some Elvis. :)

Nice images of the eclipse. It was cloudy and rainy here all day yesterday. I do not think we would have seen much of anything anyway.

I'm told hotels in the area have been sold out for the better part of a year. Spring around here can be rather wet and muddy -- it has even snowed in some year's early Aprils. I'd say we have a 50/50 shot of seeing anything due to the weather.

On Saturdays a local radio station plays a nice selection of Polka music in the morning. I used to turn it on at the office before the virus closed weekend hours down (no one wanted to come back after). I bet Hugh has an accordion stashed under a tent or sleeping bag somewhere in his house. . . a little bit of heavy metal grunge polka could be something to think about. :D

Don't encourage her. There can only be one Fashionista per household. :D

We had some thin clouds, but that was okay because it allowed me to take some pictures.

Grunge polka could have a niche. :thumbsup:

Eating that reaper means nothing anymore..... There is a hotter variety now.... Pepper X.

3 1/2 hours of pain, flat back for hour, Huge cramping... Only 5 people have eaten one....

Look for it ....

Eating that reaper means nothing anymore..... There is a hotter variety now.... Pepper X.

3 1/2 hours of pain, flat back for hour, Huge cramping... Only 5 people have eaten one....

Look for it ....

I wonder when those will be available in Salt Lake? :hot: :hot: